Let's see your Walmart bikes!

What should I build next with scrap parts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last time I checked... there were couple of ozone at the Walmart in Riverdale.
The carbon hyper is probably still there as well but upon closer inspection... it has a crack.

Plenty Ozarks here as well. My plan was to build a small fleet of "decent" hardtails with my amassed parts bin and leave them for renters to use along with paddle boards and kayaks. Surprisingly hard to find cheap bare frames with tapered head tubes anywhere. Goal is to use whatever I can then donate/sell the rest.

Plenty Ozarks here as well. My plan was to build a small fleet of "decent" hardtails with my amassed parts bin and leave them for renters to use along with paddle boards and kayaks. Surprisingly hard to find cheap bare frames with tapered head tubes anywhere. Goal is to use whatever I can then donate/sell the rest.
Cool idea. Let me know if you need any parts. Got a ton of good, but older, usable parts, that no one seems to want anyway.

One of the most fun rides I've had in the past few years was with @Paul H at Stewart, him on his WallyWord Schwinn, and me on my SS vintage Iron horse I picked out of the condo's dumpster. You don't need new flashy shit, ( or an e-bike) to have fun out there. Just good friends, good trails, and a bike that works.....well kinda works...😄😄. Ask Paul about my self ejecting dropper post ...🤣🤣🤣🤣

But really... the only complaint I have about my axum is the crotch clearance. The bike is slightly too big on me.
The newer models are paying attention and is offering medium sized frames. You're just a tad taller than me and the 29 frames were always a bit too big for me. Here's a new one from Kent with similar specs to the Trouvaille but a few buck more. Going to keep my eyes open for when a sale pops up. Been at Walmarts and Targets more than I usually frequent and gotta say their stock is pretty thin. These cheapo bikes are flying off the racks...
1711374569725.png

A few years ago a friend of my Dad's had his bike stolen and wasn't in the financial position to buy a new one. My old Huffy Illumina had been hanging in my parents' garage since I stopped riding it at like 12 years old. My Dad asked me if I wouldn't mind him giving my old bike to his friend to use to get around. I said no problem, but I wanted to give it a good once-over to make sure it was actually safe to ride. I replaced the chain, tubes, grips, brake pads, all cables and housing, and adjusted everything so that while for sure the bike didn't ride as new, it was at least safe as a temporary commuter for my Dad's friend.

Working on a bike that I rode as a teenager was a real treat, especially knowing it was repurposed for someone else to use. Like going back in time with knowledge from the future. Figured this was a good thread to post about it...

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 11.51.16 AM.png

Last edited:
What you are really after is the frame of these walmart bikes.
The components are pretty crappy and scary to ride them on the trails.
If you can sell the take off parts in FB and etc... then these bikes can be a deal but if not... not so much because there a deals on CR for Ragleys and what not.

I bought my Axum when they had them on sale for 250 or something like that and sold the take off parts for 150 on FB.

What you are really after is the frame of these walmart bikes.
The components are pretty crappy and scary to ride them on the trails.
If you can sell the take off parts in FB and etc... then these bikes can be a deal but if not... not so much because there a deals on CR for Ragleys and what not.

I bought my Axum when they had them on sale for 250 or something like that and sold the take off parts for 150 on FB.
but who's actually buying the crap takeoff parts?

Back
Top Bottom