Let's see your Walmart bikes!

What should I build next with scrap parts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Being jobless and running out of severance doesn't cure newbikeitis. Planning to pickup a peach at Walmart this weekend. Post your Walmart specials here for some inspiration.
Here's a current roll call from the top of my head. Chime in if I left out anyone or misremembered your membership.
@Paul H
@cyclops
@Divinityche
@xmonger
Look out in the near future for a Walmart bike ride...
I'd go looking for the appropriate 12 Step Program. With all the bikes you have, even considering a Walmart bike signifies some serious problem.

I'd go looking for the appropriate 12 Step Program. With all the bikes you have, even considering a Walmart bike signifies some serious problem.
Guess I'm coming full circle, grew up riding a Huffy in Manhattan then a Murray when we moved to NJ so my brother and I could cruise around Fanwood. My first real bike was an entry level Peugeot from Pro Tour in Westfield. Yeah the sum of the whole can be terrible but are the Walmart frames really that bad compared to an entry Trek, Giant or Spesh?

@jdog yep, I'm a volunteer there. Lots of fine choices but rarely with tapered head tubes

Reliving my youth...
Screenshot_20240316-170850.png

Cool... I never thought you will be interested in the wallyworld bikes! You already got some amazing ones! But to be fair, some of the bikes they have are really good value and upgradable. As you know, mine is a Schwinn Taff Comp and most of my upgrades are documented in my thread. Here is a not so recent picture, have not been riding since a while now.

PXL_20230903_123811575.jpg

From what I've gathered from watching a few Seth videos, it seems some Walmart bikes aren't bad. Especially if you have the skills to make sure it's been set up properly.

"Walmart bike" reminds me of many, many years ago when I agreed to check out a co-worker's bike... not knowing it was a Walmart bike... and then happened to pass @jdog that evening with said bike on my roof rack... I did what I could and was able to make it better, but that bike was beyond my skills to get shifting well.

Thats true. You definitely need to spend your time and efforts to make it work.

@qclabrat - I would suggest you ship the bike to your home. That way you can make sure that its assembled the right way and ensure everything is lubricated and torqued. I will never trust the bike assembled at walmart.

This thread is embarrassing. I can’t be the only one thinking it. It’s like being on a Porsche forum and someone posts up their tuned Subaru BZR. 😑
Sounds like your judging people trying to get into mtb
My 1st ride was on a huffy "mtb" 35 yrs ago my 2nd bike was a $50 yakota rest is history
Don't judge
Aside I met a kid last week at trex on an Ozark hardtail I only offered encouragement

Sounds like your judging people trying to get into mtb
My 1st ride was on a huffy "mtb" 35 yrs ago my 2nd bike was a $50 yakota rest is history
Don't judge
Aside I met a kid last week at trex on an Ozark hardtail I only offered encouragement
I would tend to agree if @qclabrat didn't have a basement filled with much more capable/axpensive bikes already...

Which one did you get? The Ozark Trail Ridge is as good as it gets from walmart. I heard that it was a personal project by one of the Waltons who loves MTB.
I believe it was the Viathon brand that was launched by one of the Waltons...it wasn't cheap either and I think did not go that well.

Back
Top Bottom