Lebanon 52

D

DANSPANK

Hi Norm,

Do you mind sending it to me too? I wouldn't mind joining you guys but estimate that my average speed would be slower that you lot. On a 2hr, 36mile ride with 3300ft of climbing I was averaging 16mph - the downhills seemed longed than the ups. On the ups I was crawling up and I don't want to hold you guys up as I will likely have to puke on the road side mid-way up...

So, If I ride it solo first then I can see If I'll fit the group ride... Thanks!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
dan, i think you will be fine on the ride

whos in on this?

norm, chris g, fred, me

that is a large range of riding ability, you would be fine
I'm still a "hopeful maybe" for this ride, but I would add that I've never done a ride on these roads that wasn't with a group of pretty (if not very) mixed ability, and it's always fine. Waiting at the top of the climbs has been a given, as has been riding a pace in between the climbs that doesn't sap too much juice that could be put to better use on the ups. Hammering on flat/rolling roads can be done anywhere. The allure of this vicinity is the challenge of the climbs, IMO, and it's cool to see the satisfaction that they produce.

Maurice

I'd like to join as well, but at the moment I may not be available that week-end.

Different abilities in road rides doesn't matter much, at least it's not nearly as evident as off-road. It's actually always good to ride with faster people on the road.

Definitely beats riding by oneself.

Maurice

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

whos in on this?

norm, chris g, fred, me

I'm pretty sure I'll be there too.

How "early" is early? No one specified a time (please don't say 6:30 am, please don't say 6:30 am...)

Thinking I might join up for this ride, it will depend on family obligations. If I am clear, I will come along.

D

DANSPANK

whos in on this?

norm, chris g, fred, me

Cool, well I'll likely be in then. Shall we coordinate spandex colour choices? I prefer dayglo hues if that's ok...

Maurice

Cool, well I'll likely be in then. Shall we coordinate spandex colour choices? I prefer dayglo hues if that's ok...

My spell-checker only likes "color". Are you also going to ride on the wrong side of the road? Could be interesting in some descents.

As long as it's not the Borat outfit...

D

DANSPANK

My spell-checker only likes "color". Are you also going to ride on the wrong side of the road? Could be interesting in some descents.

As long as it's not the Borat outfit...

Well your spell checker is a biggot. And I'm typically all over the road, especially on the up hills!

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I sit here and already dread some of this ride. This is some real killer stuff. I am not trying to stop anyone from coming or encourage anyone from coming, well except for Dan.

I do think people should think about this before you just jump in and join. Road rides do not tend to be like mt. bike rides with stoping and recovering. While the rolling along between hills will be our recover time its still going to be riding.

52 miles is a long way on a bike and if you get in over your head you are a long way from your car. Its not a 4,5 or 6mile hike through the woods to get back to your car if you had to walk.

just wanted to make sure people did not think this was an easy ride, its far from it.

Thier not going to stop every 5 to 10 minutes to rest? I guess I'll bring extra money just in case I have to call a cab.

D

DANSPANK

I'm keen to get more hill rides in. Some old, wise, fat guy once told me that you should attemptthe toughest climb right at the start of the season because after that everything else is easier. It's not the start of the season but that's fine.

I'm sure I'll be very slow and possibly stopping on the hills but if the group has people of mixed abilities then perhaps I won't be the only one. If Norm has the ride gps'd then maybe I could lead (tail) the sloower group but ensure that we don't get lost.

If there's a pub lunch at the end of the ride then I'm sure I'll complete it.

D

DANSPANK

And don't you just love the way your legs feel the next day? Totally used, abused and unbendable! You can't even get up out of a chair - I love that! No, seriously, I do!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I sit here and already dread some of this ride. This is some real killer stuff. I am not trying to stop anyone from coming or encourage anyone from coming, well except for Dan.

I do think people should think about this before you just jump in and join. Road rides do not tend to be like mt. bike rides with stoping and recovering. While the rolling along between hills will be our recover time its still going to be riding.

52 miles is a long way on a bike and if you get in over your head you are a long way from your car. Its not a 4,5 or 6mile hike through the woods to get back to your car if you had to walk.

just wanted to make sure people did not think this was an easy ride, its far from it.

Yeah this is a good comment. I don't want to discourage anyone from joining but I'm going to go ahead and say this is a drop ride. For the most part it's going to be friendly and everyone will wait but beyond a certain point that probably goes out the window. 6600 feet of climbing in 52 miles can be just brutal if you don't know what you're getting into and if anyone melts down nobody wants to be responsible for dragging anyone else back to the car.

If I had to classify the ride I'm calling it advanced intermediate at the least. I mean we potentially have a semi-pro and an expert racer in the mix here so take that into consideration when deciding to join or not.

Ok, now having said that if you're not scared off then I'll seeya next weekend. Details to be hammered out next week sometime. The day needs to be Sunday (for me) and I'm thinking around 8:00 as a start time. If it's going to be brutally hot it would be as early as possible, or I guess not at all. Also if some of the "remote contingent" needs to start a bit later we can work that out as well.

Yeah this is a good comment. I don't want to discourage anyone from joining but I'm going to go ahead and say this is a drop ride.

I'm out, going camping with Dad this weekend, his first time sleeping in a tent in about, oh, 40 years. I think he will need the moral support :D

Splitting the group into two might not be a bad idea. Dan and anyone else looking for more mellow climbing, Ron and I ride 35-40 miles of rolling hills in the area of Readington-Whitehouse-Lebanon-Chester. The route varies on our whim. If you want to join us for Saturday mornings, PM me and I will give you directions to meet up. We try to be out of the house by 9 am, and RVCC is a good meet up point. Its around the corner from the casa and across the street from Cryan's, where an excellent pub lunch can be had at the end of the ride.

My average for the past 4 times we rode has been 15.9 mph, pretty comfortable pace that anyone can manage.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maurice,

Any water stops along the way? I know there's a Califon stop at about mile 12 but that's a bit early in the ride. Anything around the midpoint that you know of?

Maurice

Maurice,

Any water stops along the way? I know there's a Califon stop at about mile 12 but that's a bit early in the ride. Anything around the midpoint that you know of?

Norm,

Califon is one, I think there's an A&E or something like that on rte 513. On the way back at the bottom of Hickory Run you can make a left and be there quick. Otherwise you go through Glen Gardner, and that's pretty much it AFAIR.

Cheers,

Maurice

D

DANSPANK

Dan and anyone else looking for more mellow climbing, Ron and I ride 35-40 miles of rolling hills in the area of Readington-Whitehouse-Lebanon-Chester. The route varies on our whim. If you want to join us for Saturday mornings, PM me and I will give you directions to meet up.

I might just take you up on that. Are you riding this Saturday?

Top Bottom