Lake MXZ302 Winter Shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DANSPANK

Sadly I couldn't find the winter shoe thread so I thought I'd post a review here. I just bought a pair of these from Jdog this week and today was the trail ride. It wasn't that cold though.

Anyhoo the shoes definitely kept my toesies warm. I only wore a single pair of socks underneath and had no trouble with th 40degree temps. The shoes will offer enough room for another pair of socks over my feet but I don't think I'd need those until the temps are below freezing.

The fastening gadget is pretty cool - the twisty knob thing. The one on my right shoe seemed to release during the ride but the additional velcro fasteners kept the shoe in place. I'll have to take a look at the right twisty knob thing.

The new cleats gave me trouble and I couldn't clip out a couple of times but they'll break in soon enough.

So, they're not cheap but I think they're well worth it. My toes were the only appendages that I was having trouble with in the cool rides so that's now fixed - hi five!

ArmyOfNone

wow you couldnt find a winter shoes thread...on this board? Man either you havent been around long enough or you didnt look hard enough.:D

Those shoes are the best of the best when it comes to winter shoes. Enjoy

dirty bert

Banned
Got Em'

Sadly I couldn't find the winter shoe thread so I thought I'd post a review here. I just bought a pair of these from Jdog this week and today was the trail ride. It wasn't that cold though.

Anyhoo the shoes definitely kept my toesies warm. I only wore a single pair of socks underneath and had no trouble with th 40degree temps. The shoes will offer enough room for another pair of socks over my feet but I don't think I'd need those until the temps are below freezing.

The fastening gadget is pretty cool - the twisty knob thing. The one on my right shoe seemed to release during the ride but the additional velcro fasteners kept the shoe in place. I'll have to take a look at the right twisty knob thing.

The new cleats gave me trouble and I couldn't clip out a couple of times but they'll break in soon enough.

So, they're not cheap but I think they're well worth it. My toes were the only appendages that I was having trouble with in the cool rides so that's now fixed - hi five!

I got the same kind, they did kept my feet warm until i submerged my foot in a creek. i also had trouble clipping into my pedals (time atac) but I know it was from the different cleat position it was in, under my shoe. I have always heard great things about these winter shoes and yes they aren't cheap($230?) but the amount of time that i will wear them, they are sure to last more than my average 6 years for shoes. Look at it as an investment for a more comfortable ride in the winter.

~Db

J-Dro

wow you couldnt find a winter shoes thread...on this board? Man either you havent been around long enough or you didnt look hard enough.:D

Those shoes are the best of the best when it comes to winter shoes. Enjoy

I think the infamous winter shoe thread has been quietly deleted by the mods. Gosh, what a treasure trove of information that was.:rolleyes:

walter

Fourth Party
I think the infamous winter shoe thread has been quietly deleted by the mods. Gosh, what a treasure trove of information that was.:rolleyes:

Damn them and their powers.

My take on the Lake winter boots. Awesome shoe, although I havent used them in sub freezing temps yet, they have kept my feet plenty warm on the really chilly days with just a normal sock. Extremely comfortable shoe, so much so that I may be looking at a Lake regular shoe in the spring.

J-Dro

Damn them and their powers.

My take on the Lake winter boots. Awesome shoe, although I havent used them in sub freezing temps yet, they have kept my feet plenty warm on the really chilly days with just a normal sock. Extremely comfortable shoe, so much so that I may be looking at a Lake regular shoe in the spring.

I have last years model (the 301) and they kept my toes toasty warm yesterday when the temp was 21 deg. They are plenty roomy inside so you can wiggle your toes and keep the blood circulating.

I have also tried the Answer winter shoes and although they are relatively waterproof ,the insulation isn't anywhere up to the standards of the Lakes. They also have a much tighter fit so blood circulation becomes an issue.

Lake's rock!

Frank

Sasquatch
finally got mine

Every fall I dread the coming of winter due to the fact that my feet always freeze. One season I used flat pedals and insulated work boots trying to keep them warm :hmmm:. Nothing ever worked. I recently decided to take the plunge and purchase a set for myself after a rave review from a close friend. My first ride with these shoes was at 29 degrees and I must say I was impressed. I used a thin wool sock and I think that was still a bit much. My feet were a little too warm and that made them a little cool, but not cold, due to my feet sweating a little. Today I rode with a summer wool sock and I was fine (35 degrees). Comfort was immediate with no "break-in" required; all I had to do was apply the waterproofing wax (included) and adjust my cleats. I had a chance to test the water resistance today and thankfully it worked:eek:. Needless to say I am very pleased and would definitely recommend them.

Frank

Sasquatch
:( sadly I am having some issues with mine. The stitching on the heel cup has broken and the shoe is coming apart. I've only had them a month.....bummer. I must have gotten a friday afternoon shoe. Now I'll see what the warranty is like.

update: Lake repaired my shoes and returned them promptly....they restored my faith in them. Now I hope the nylon stitching holds up better than the cotton.

Last edited:

sj_john

Great Shoe

I had an old lace up pair for 5 years or more. Kept my feet warm down into the single digits on the commute to work.
They were starting to bother me after a foot injury last year so my wife got me the new wide version for xmas and they are great.
I have tried the Answer's but they don't hold a candle to the Lake's.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom