Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

saw MTBNJ colors in KVSP today

quick lunch time ride up to the tower. said a quick hello to two riders coming down, one wearing the orange and blue MTBNJ kit

so what MTBNJ notables were in KVSP today?

quick lunch time ride up to the tower. said a quick hello to two riders coming down, one wearing the orange and blue MTBNJ kit

so what MTBNJ notables were in KVSP today?

hmm? I am not aware of anyone in O&B at kvsp yesterday. Guy or gal?

big tree down over on the trails on rt 206 side. since the park won't clear it out another trail shut down for now. chain saw action. hand saw sill be useless

wasp nest down in the southern area of the park - in the twisty single track down by the Sussex Branch Trail. There is a small sapling hanging over the trail and at the base of that tree is the wasp nest. Robin and I had a camper get stung five times today.

I saw the one tree over on the trail near Rt 206 was cleared but that was about it. other trees remain across the trail.

More trees down.... Blue trail just above the upper rocky hill, mandatory dismount .... Red trail on the rollers coming down from the tower, be ready to duck.

I was out there today and the park is littered with blow downs, nothing major but tons of deralluier breakers.

Most of the down trees in KVSP have been cleared though there are a lot of small branches and debris littering the trails.

I road the rail trail in yesterday and checked trail conditions. most trails are to soft and should not be ridden. unfortunately lots of skinny bike tracks and messing up the trails. a few trails are in good shape and dry enough to ride. i know the park as well as anyone and knew which trails to avoid and which I could get away with.
Summary - needs more time and I would guess every thing else in the area like Mahlon are in the same shape.

what a difference a few days make. KVSP is totally rideable. great condition. dried out nicely. no longer soft. did a nice 9.3 mi there this afternoon. had my folding hand saw and cut out a tree on the green trail.

I ditched too and rode KIT this afternoon - only wet in the usual spots - I was pleasantly surprised.

I felt bad for Kittatinny as it hadn't been rated since 4/6.:( I rode it today. It's in great shape -- "Hero" dirt, it's a "4." Go have some fun!

Back
Top Bottom