Kingdom Trails trail closures

Mr. Papadapolis never punched any horses
121010024743-01-alex-karras-1010-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

1578947291231.png

Anyone else find this title annoying? If you don't read through the entire article then your first impression is that ALL mountain bikers a bunch of inconsiderate yahoos and this is why we can't have nice things.

F%$k you and the horse you rode up on. (See what I did there?) It's like reprimanding a five year old. I find it condescending and stupid. Just my .02¢ for today.

It's a play on "This is why we can't have nice things" in reference to assholes ruining it for the one reciting that.

The guy who wrote that article is a funny guy. I'm also at 50% for my win/loss ratio racing him in singlespeed races.

View attachment 116921

Anyone else find this title annoying? If you don't read through the entire article then your first impression is that ALL mountain bikers a bunch of inconsiderate yahoos and this is why we can't have nice things.

F%$k you and the horse you rode up on. (See what I did there?) It's like reprimanding a five year old. I find it condescending and stupid. Just my .02¢ for today.
I didn't find the article or title to be condescending at all, read some of his other stuff and I think you will get it.

How many acres typically do all these families the trail passes through own? Is it enough that they don't even see people on the trails or are they watching them from their breakfast table?

How many acres typically do all these families the trail passes through own? Is it enough that they don't even see people on the trails or are they watching them from their breakfast table?
Landowners make up anywhere from over a hundred acres to a half acre. The guy with just an eighth of a mile of trail is just as crucial as the guy who has 10 miles of trail because they rely on all property to connect trails.
I don't believe the issue is landowners seeing mtbers, the issue seems to be landowners having negative experiences with mtbers.

Article smacked of a bit of fluff and damage control. I guess the point was to put that piece on a website that gets a lot of traffic, to educate folks about the relationship between private owners and the land they allow for use? Do that many people read Pinkbike in the Northeast? Sounds like the KTA has its work cut out for them.

Riding up in VT for the last 25 years, I can tell you that the demographic has changed and this sort of thing was bound to happen. Around10-15yrs ago it mostly the more hard-core type of rider you'd see up here. More of a local scene, and the trails were built to reflect their riding philosophy (gnar and big hits). With the advent of machine made trails, and the rapid rise of a summer-season economy, most of the folks in the more well-known trail centers are beginner to intermediate riders, or those newer to the sport. The gnar is "local knowledge only" or not on the maps. Newer riders ride with no context as to what was before. And KT may be the biggest, but its not the only place to ride. The Stowe/Waterbury/Morrisville area is starting to really blow up, and its only a matter of time before shit hits the fan there also. No one has a clue as to whether they are riding on state or private land. Along with all of this comes the inevitable bad apples. People ride in groups of 10-15 hogging the entire trail, going the wrong way, blocking traffic, blowing down trails like their Strava KOMs depend on it almost mowing down my kids, etc. I can honestly say that in the last 10yrs I've run into more assholes on the trail up in VT than I ever have in NJ. Matter of fact, NJ is probably one of the more friendlier places that I ride.

I'm fortunate that in places I ride I mostly don't see many / any people. However when I do I crawl past them slowly and with plenty of heads up. Quite often now (and I'm noticing it a lot) I come up to someone who isn't biking and as I'm passing them I'm thanked for being slow, careful, pleasant etc as though they are shocked and this is the exception rather than the rule. That's kind of sad.

Back
Top Bottom