Kingdom Trail Trip

Jay -

Yea, this is a great site for getting info on riding in the "Rock Garden State" :D. Most people on this forum are very friendly - and love to show people some of the great places to ride here, so if you want a tour guide, just post up, I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out.

Thanks for sharing your info on "the North" - I believe Allamuchy Joe and I met you and your group either last year or the year before on the trails at KT.

NH - we're going to North Conway. Figured to stop in the LBS for info on where to ride - any tips on what to search for on MTBR would be appreciated.

Dawn

Hey DD-, thanks for the advice to visit this site! Very helpful!

I'll share my "knowledge of the North".

Lake Willoughby is pretty close to Kingdom Trails and there is camping near by. It's a really deep lake surrounded with 2 small mountains that have hiking trails on both.

In Barton, there is Crystal Lake and there is a rustic camping on the northern edge of the lake. As the name says, the water is crystal! You can see the bottom of the lake even when 8ft deep! Amazing place after a hot day of riding at Kingdom Trails! You'll be about 25-30min from the trailhead. Another 25-30min North-West is the town of Montgomery CTR (corner of 242 and 118). There are some great trails up there and it's also the place i call home as far as trail maintenance and building goes.

If you get tired of riding ultra buffed-up and crowded trails at Kingdom Trails, head to Montgomery and expect about 15-20mi of real singletrack with flow and no one in sight. Beautiful scenary... do a search in the MTBR Vermont forum for "Montgomery" and you'll see many of my posts... Great riding up there!

I don't know where you're going in NH but we'll be in southern NH for the last 3 days of our trip... We'll ride FOMBA, Bear Brook and Forth Rock.

Have fun!

Via MTBR:

Contact RADAIR, he's one of the active people out there. He's the one with the tool trailer, so he's in the know!

Bike shop: Red Jersey Cyclery is your best source: http://www.redjersey.com/trails.htm

North Conway is sweet. The Red Tail Trail is an IMBA Epic ride and it will host the North American Singlespeed Championship this fall.

If you move down south, there tons of riding... Fomba, Fort Rock, Bear Brook... all places i've never been with tons of info on the web:

www.Crankfire.com as a couple of maps
www.Fomba.com
www.Nemba.com

Info in Northern New Hampshire is hard to come by... but Radair will hook you up!

Have fun on your trip!

So you off to VT this weekend? I am sure your plans are already confirmed, but for those of you thinking about this area, there is a link on this site to Burke Mountain Campground http://www.skiburke.com/. It is located right in the middle of the trail system and I highly recommend it based on its covenience factor.

Sharose, as far as a lake, Lake Willoughby isn't too far, but it is driving distance (assuming you are doing tons of mountain biking and don't have legs left to pedal over to the lake via the roads). There is also a river through town that you can swim in. They don't have the best swimming holes I have seen in VT, but they do allow you to cool off and have fun.

Have a great trip!

wow i just did a little research on this place and it looks amazing. if gas wasnt so damn expensive id go up in a heartbeat.

I went up there this weekend with a couple friends. We ended up staying at White Caps Campground- it is crowded with very little privacy but Lake W., where the campground is located, is gorgeous! Next time maybe I'll try the campground Mare recommended.

The trails are such fun! It's like a playground for mtn bikers. A little muddy in parts but overall in great condition. We rode 4 hours on Sat and a little on Sun before leaving and didn't do a trail twice. One of the girls I went with had never ridden before- we were able to ride with her by cutting off and going on various trails that met up with the easier ones she was on. There is just such a variety - everyone can have fun!

It was a super fun weekend for cheap- between gas, campsite, food and biking ($10/day) I spent about $150.

This is my 2nd time up there and I've had a great experience both times!

Welcome back! Did you hit sidewinder and webs? Webs always makes me feel like I am in some fairy tale... I am so small and everything is so big!

Welcome back! Did you hit sidewinder and webs? Webs always makes me feel like I am in some fairy tale... I am so small and everything is so big!

I LOVE Webs!! It's my favorite trail!! :)

Love these trails!

Webs, old webs, and sidewinder rocks! Just got back from there as well the week before you went. I also stayed in White caps cg. It was during the week so there was no one there. He let me stay in the cabin since I accidentally left my tent poles at the last cg several hundred miles away! The lake was gorgeous and the hike to the top of Mt. Pisgah gave some fantastic views of the lake. Also checked out the nude beach in the cove. Some people that were biking said that they were staying at the Burke cg (by the ski resort). They were not thrilled with it and said that it has been going downhill the last few years. Which cg did you hear about? I don't know of any others in the area? I couldn't figure out how to post pictures here, or else I would. Does anyone know?

Webs, old webs, and sidewinder rocks!

Did you ride Tody's Tour & Tap -n- Die?? They are also awesome trails :D

I love riding up there - I just hope next time the weather is better than it was 2 weeks ago :(

We stayed at White Caps CG also - very crowded and very small sites. I didn't hear good things about Burke CG either - no shaded sites. The only nice thing was that we left 1 day early, and the owner gave us back 1 day's fee (without me asking)...he felt bad about the weather, knowing we were up there to bike. Next time we may try Brighton State Park (Island Pond) http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/brighton.cfm or Moose River (St Johnsbury) http://www.mooserivercampground.com/.

I'm really surprised that one of the landowners on the KT hasn't decided to put in a campground, seems like the area could really use it.

Last edited:
Not trying to contradict you, DD, but I have stayed at Burke CG and it was totally covered with trees. I was actually chilly at times because I didn't get the sun and it's cooler there than here. I would still recommend the campsite to anyone considering going. It's the closest one to all the trails and has everything you need. And nothing beats the 3 mile climb back up to the campsite from town after every ride! The first day it hurts, then after that you are used to it and simply expect it.

This year I went and rented a house right in the middle of all the trails. It was private, totally surrounded by mountains and trees, and beautiful! Oh, and dog friendly. If you go with a group, I suggest renting a house because splitting the cost makes it rather inexpensive. Roughing it is tons of fun, but so is a a patio, real grill, refridgerator, stove, couch, etc. I can't say the house is better than camping...it's just different. Both are fun!

I have stayed at Burke CG and and it was totally covered with trees.

That's good to keep in mind. I only heard about it from another couple that we met at Whitecaps. Do you remember if they have water/electric sites there? or is it "dry" camping?

That's good to keep in mind. I only heard about it from another couple that we met at Whitecaps. Do you remember if they have water/electric sites there? or is it "dry" camping?

There was definitely water, but I don't remember if there was electric. It's not the most luxurious, but it is camping...the pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom