Keeping warm

I go ghetto with my feet for road riding in the cold. I use a plastic baggy on the outside of the shoe as a wind blocker and hold it in place with an old black wool sock puledl over the toe of the shoe (cut out a hole in both for the cleats). Then I wear some good wool socks. Looks funky but works well for me. Better than the gore booties i bought.

Thanks for jinxing us with this thread - I fricken froze this morning - ave temp 48. tight shorts and thin jersey didn't cut it

Hands, head and feet! I always wear a skull cap and that is the first line of defense. A good pair of gloves help as well.

The best cycling purchase I ever made was a pair of Lake Winter Cycling shoes. I have had them for about 9 years and they have extended many winter rides by keeping my feet super warm.
mxz303y-1024x775.jpg

under 50 start thinking about protecting your knees

I spoke with a person who attended a road cycling camp at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid. Believe it or not, the instructors recommended covering the knees when it's below 70 degrees!

And on a serious, related note. Those of you that have used both the Lakes and the Shimanos, which do you prefer?

i ride year round here in NEPA and all info is good for keeping warm, coldest i've been out is10f, my two main things WOOL wool rules, and another small thing but really helps, chapstick or lip balm of some sort keeps the lips warm

What are your thoughts on bar mitts/moose mitts? Overkill for this area or a good option rather than heavy gloves? Thanks

What are your thoughts on bar mitts/moose mitts? Overkill for this area or a good option rather than heavy gloves? Thanks

Overkill for this area. I have the road ones and would only think if them if it is wet and cold or really cold, like below 10 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom