just can't get it dammit!

pinholes seem to be it

tcb, you are correct it is a pinhloe problem for when I do pump to the max I can see where wet spots very small as they are. I did call and as I said before they wanted to work the sidewalls by riding at low pressure on the street mind you. He said this will solve my problem. I will be tring this later today and we will see how it goes. Thanks to everyone.

Cool. I've had luck just taking the wheels off and resting them over top of a trash can under pressure. Once the pinholes start, I swirl the stans around to seal them. I didn't try riding on em for a bit, but it makes a little sense since the stans will work its way around the whole tire. I'm sure once you get passed this part you'll be fine.

...As for Stan, he has some great products, but he would make a great used car salesman, if you know what I mean. It's okay to admit that a product has some shortcomings once in a while.

My old fashioned tubes work just fine thank you very much :D

BTW - do you Stan's guys carry tubes for on-trail repair of flats? If you still need to carry a tube, I don't see the point of running tubeless for trail riding unless it is a pure tubeless design (if there is such a thing) that can be inflated with a hand pump. But then again, I still ride a 26r!

Yes I do plan on carrying a tube common sense says that it's not a perfect system but considering the amount of pinch flats I've been dealing with I needed to give something different. If I ran 35lbs guaranteed flat once I get up to 45lbs tires useless and harsh and still would get flats. Funny but I can run my old heckler with panracers at about 32lbs. no problems.

Matt - I haven't tried the conti's, but when my racekings come in I will. I have heard that the mold release agent conti uses is so slippery that it makes the stans almost impossible to adhere to the inside of the tire. I would suggest taking the tires off and scrubbing the insides with some diluted simple green. Make sure they don't look shiny. Then follow stan's directions and you shouldn't have any problems.

Don't listen to the naysayers, the stans sealant is an awesome product and I have had nothing but success with it.

[ I would suggest taking the tires off and scrubbing the insides with some diluted simple green. Make sure they don't look shiny. Then follow stan's directions and you shouldn't have any problems.

This sounds like it could be what I may be dealing with and if I don't get them to stay after a little ride around the block like stan the man says I will try giving them a scrub down. Thank you.

I've gone back and forth on the Stan's thing, but most recently tried again with my ZTR Arch 29s on a Niner MCR (hardtail) using non-UST Panaracer Rampage 29s... I was VERY skeptical, but these tires have been awesome! For such a thin sidewall, they've held up remarkably well, even at low pressure... I've ridden rocky tech stuff at Sourland, Chimney Rock and Allamoochy...no problems.

When things go bad with Stans, it can be awful... but when it works, it's awesome.

BB

Stick with it, some tires are a little more work to get to seal than others. I ran Kenda Small Block 8's with Stans and it took a couple weeks of goofing around with it before it finally held air for more than a few hours. You're biggest issue is just going to be getting the sidewall sealed enough.

-Jim.

My old fashioned tubes work just fine thank you very much

BTW - do you Stan's guys carry tubes for on-trail repair of flats? If you still need to carry a tube, I don't see the point of running tubeless for trail riding unless it is a pure tubeless design (if there is such a thing) that can be inflated with a hand pump. But then again, I still ride a 26r!

yeah I run tubeless and a 26er and I still carry a tube also.The difference for me was I was getting a flat either pinch or thorn on almost every ride.Now (knock on wood )
I have not had a flat since I changed to tubeless.It use to suck to go and take my bike out of the garage and fine out I had a flat.

Mattybfat
I somewhat agree w/ what 743power says but Stan's seal the hole by flowing "thru" the hole and not so much adhearing to the inside of the tube.
So I don't think the slickness is a issue.Try the soapy water the soapier the better.Your tires have a thin sidewall and the air is leaking thru.Use the soap
and see where the air is coming thru and work the stans where you see the bubbles.Also do a search on you tube for ghetto tubless there is a good video to show you how to do tubeless.You have the stans rim strip so you wont need to do ghetto good luck
Dug

contis

were always suposed to be a problem with stans
ther are a lot of threads on mtbr

as far as getting it to work youve got to shake it like mad
and swirl it around listen for the leak

shake and swirl til it leaks no more

Update

I thought I would let everyone know it's day four and tires are still holding air I would suspect that I'm over the hill with my delima. Taking the advice from the man from stans to run the tires at low pressure (25lbs.) for 15 mins. on the street and pumped up to 35 lbs. and still holding! IT made sense after doing this by pushing the stan juice by riding at low pressure sorta like pushing it with high pressure but without the fear doing damage to rim strip. I also think by pushing high pressure opens more pin holes IMO. By the way this is a very nice wheelset and light to boot, we shall see how they hold up. Will give a product review down the road.

Back
Top Bottom