Jshort’s bike thread

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
There's a nutrition wholesaler right up the street from my house. They sell big tubs of "Superfuel" or "Flow" or "BETA Fuel" or "insert brand I have a coupon code for here bro" in a bunch of flavors. A $40 bag of Superfuel is a single event worth of product at 8 servings. Fuck that.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's a nutrition wholesaler right up the street from my house. They sell big tubs of "Superfuel" or "Flow" or "BETA Fuel" or "insert brand I have a coupon code for here bro" in a bunch of flavors. A $40 bag of Superfuel is a single event worth of product at 8 servings. Fuck that.

That’s like that ucann stuff. (clusterdextrin). I’ve never tried it but is 25g per serving is really enough? I’d think in an all day race like you do, you’d probably need more like 75g per hour.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
That’s like that ucann stuff. (clusterdextrin). I’ve never tried it but is 25g per serving is really enough? I’d think in an all day race like you do, you’d probably need more like 75g per hour.

I'll do 2 scoops per bottle plus solid food as needed. I use a little more water than carb for longer events so my stomach doesn't go south drinking so many calories. Shorter events I'll add more scoops and go less solid food. Superfuel at 100g per bottle is too much so I 1/2 mix them...

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
2023 Race Schedule

Last night I started putting down the list of the races I want to do this year. (I love planning this stuff). I’m going to shift back to XC instead of Endurance. I liked the 4 hour format last year but with Bear Creek hosting Nationals this year I decided to focus on the shorter discipline.

The “A” race is going to be Nationals, but I hate the idea of having an “A” race. It puts too much emphasis on a single event where things out of my control can cause a poor result on that day.

I’ve had this happen in the past; coincidentally the last time I raced Nationals in WV. I started feeling like shit a week before the race. I went to do my workout one day and I couldn't generate any power on the bike. I wasn’t sleeping well, had brain fog, fatigue, and these minor but all day long lasting headaches. I thought I just needed some recovery so I took it easy.

I knew I was in trouble when I pre-rode the course and my HR was redlining. The morning of I woke up hoping to feel better, but felt worse. I I wanted to pack it up after warmups but having driven to WV and invested so much time I had to at least give it a go. Well, the race was a disaster and I had to walk the last hill which wasn’t even steep! I didn’t finish last, but was close to it. The whole experience was was pretty demoralizing because of all the pressure and expectations I put on myself.
Then once I got home and made a Dr Appt it turned out I had Lyme disease.... It was a relief because it explained why i was feeling so terrible. Looking back and seeing how many great races I had that year, i’ve changed my opinion and think differently about that season, but in the moment it was shit.

Which brings me to planning 2023. Instead of looking at the Bear Creek race with tunnel vision, my goal is more process oriented.

March 25th - Mayhem
April 1st - Rattling Creek
April 8th - Jungle
April 23rd - Ringwood
May 13th - French Creek
June 4th - Bear Creek (MASS)
June 11th - Guys Nesh
June 17th - Challenger
June 25 - Lewis Morris
July 6th or 7th - Nationals (not sure of exact date. Just assuming it will be around these days)

After nationals I’ll look at the remaining H2H and MASS races and see how I’m feeling. Off the top of my head, I’d love to race Granogue and Port Jervis. But I also have 5 days MTBing in Utah planned so i’ll have to see how I feel when I get back.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Great thoughts on your last time doing an A race. It sounds like you have things figured out. From my experience, a few longer rides or races between now and 30 days prior to your A race is not a bad thing. It can certainly diversify your depth of fitness. I could never do any big rides or races in the two weeks leading up to my A race. I always preferred being well rested. However, it is always good to listen to your own signals, not just what someone else does or says.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great thoughts on your last time doing an A race. It sounds like you have things figured out. From my experience, a few longer rides or races between now and 30 days prior to your A race is not a bad thing. It can certainly diversify your depth of fitness. I could never do any big rides or races in the two weeks leading up to my A race. I always preferred being well rested. However, it is always good to listen to your own signals, not just what someone else does or says.

Yep. You definitely need to learn from mistakes and adjust the next time around.
I’m hesitant to plan on Lewis Morris before Nationals but it’ll be about 2 weeks in between. The plan will be a bunch of short but punchy workouts in between.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here's a quick Mayhem Recap -

Mayhem is always the first race of the of the year and I've had mixed results. Its the usual south jersey flow in sandyish soil with no tech, rocks, or elevation. Generally I prefer a race that has these things, but I still enjoy Mayhem. This course is won and lost in the turns, specifically by carrying much speed and using little brakes. Conserving enough to open it up in the straights. simple as that.
As I was driving down it poured the entire time, but the radar showed that it would stop before Cat 1 at 1:30PM. So when I pulled in and it stopped raining i assumed it would be a sign of good things to come.
I did a little warm up, but not too much because you just sit around for 20 minutes anyway. I should really start a more focused warm up and then show up at the line 2 minutes before go time, but i'm always afraid i'll miss something important (I never do).
Anyway, i lined up and there was a pretty good turnout. I wait and wait and finally around 1:40PM we get the whistle to go.
The course goes for about 30 yards, then makes a hard left. Some dude who was lined up on the inside couldn't make the turn and i turned right into him. At least, this is what I think happened... but it was over in a flash. Suddenly I was on the ground, so i jumped back up and did a cross re-mount. Unfortunately for me, i whiffed and my right leg went right over the seat, and I went down for the second time in 5 seconds. so, FML.

IMG_9612.jpeg

By the time i looked up, this is what I saw. (Thx for the Photo @MadisonDan)

I felt like I needed to catch back up immediately if i had any chance of a solid result. Not long after you exit the field, you are in singletrack. I didn't want to be in last place entering the trails, the so I sprinted. I was still last :( . Picking other riders off as fast as possible felt good but it didn't last. Once i got past a few, my legs were like "yo, chill" up and I had to slow up. I should have backed off a bit and recovered but as soon as i could go again, I did.
About 3/4 of the way through lap 1, i knew i dug a hole. And as the race got stretched out, i stopped passing and was in no man's land. Occasionally I would pass someone, sometimes they passed me back and sometimes I held on.
I finished 7th of 16 I think. Not terrible, but I would have liked to been in a better position going into Singletrack. obviously.

Onto the next. Rattling Creek. 30 miles of rocks, climbing, and tech...
Who else is going?

JDurk

Mayhem is always the first race of the of the year and I've had mixed results. Its the usual south jersey flow in sandyish soil with no tech, rocks, or elevation. Generally I prefer a race that has these things, but I still enjoy Mayhem. This course is won and lost in the turns, specifically by carrying much speed and using little brakes. Conserving enough to open it up in the straights. simple as that.
As I was driving down it poured the entire time, but the radar showed that it would stop before Cat 1 at 1:30PM. So when I pulled in and it stopped raining i assumed it would be a sign of good things to come.
I did a little warm up, but not too much because you just sit around for 20 minutes anyway. I should really start a more focused warm up and then show up at the line 2 minutes before go time, but i'm always afraid i'll miss something important (I never do).
Anyway, i lined up and there was a pretty good turnout. I wait and wait and finally around 1:40PM we get the whistle to go.
The course goes for about 30 yards, then makes a hard left. Some dude who was lined up on the inside couldn't make the turn and i turned right into him. At least, this is what I think happened... but it was over in a flash. Suddenly I was on the ground, so i jumped back up and did a cross re-mount. Unfortunately for me, i whiffed and my right leg went right over the seat, and I went down for the second time in 5 seconds. so, FML.

View attachment 210378

I felt like I needed to catch back up immediately if i had any chance of a solid result. Not long after you exit the field, you are in singletrack. I didn't want to be in last place entering the trails, the so I sprinted. I was still last :( . Picking other riders off as fast as possible felt good but it didn't last. Once i got past a few, my legs were like "yo, chill" up and I had to slow up. I should have backed off a bit and recovered but as soon as i could go again, I did.
About 3/4 of the way through lap 1, i knew i dug a hole. And as the race got stretched out, i stopped passing and was in no man's land. Occasionally I would pass someone, sometimes they passed me back and sometimes I held on.
I finished 7th of 16 I think. Not terrible, but I would have liked to been in a better position going into Singletrack. obviously.

Who else is going?
I decided a few years ago, I've had enough Mayhem. Glad I skipped it again. Good job getting a top 10.

30 miles of rocks, climbing and tech at Rattling Creek for me on the rigid SS. Just because. See you there.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

View attachment 210378

Who else is going?
See you there!

The Kalmyk

Ucann is using something like this not clusterdextrine...
BB13063B-05E5-4CF2-B760-93325EDF508E.jpeg

xc62701

View attachment 210378

Who else is going?

Nice recap. It's hard to control yourself once you have that crash and try to instantly get back on. The rage is good for a few miles but then the legs definitely start to complain! Rattling creek should be a blast! Enjoy and let us know how it went. Drop the hammer through the big shaley rock features that a lot of folks mess up.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rattling Marathon recap-

I'm still a little shot so this might be even more incoherent than usual.

I stayed at some "quaint" little hotel about 15 minutes away from the start line. It always seems like a good idea to stay close to the event, but in my reality it's more trouble than its worth. All the planning, packing, and overthinking... yuk. Add some drunk dude in the room next door, singing in Spanish at the top of his lungs until pretty late, the wind blowing all night, and I was wishing I just stayed in my own bed. Even if that meant getting up at 430 or whatever time I would have had to, to be there on time. I'll try to remember next time sleep in own bed is always better than shitty hotel sleep.

I went into this race curiously optimistic. I'm in "ok" shape with a decent base, but not much top end so I didn't have any podium expectations. I just needed to push for 3 hours, get some time on my MTB, and get a good workout in. The result would be what it would be. In the regard, It was a success because I left it all out there.
The start is a 15 minute climb that goes and goes and goes. Just when you think it's over, it keeps going. And after sitting at the start line for 15 minutes shivering, that hurt. I was little concerned when midway up I looked at my Garmin and saw a relatively low HR. Even when I got to the top it was still petty low for how hard I was working. In my experience that is a sign of fatigue.
On to the trails I was able to relax and just get into a flow. The course has its challenging sections and there's enough trail chatter to minimize the places to recover. Plus it's fun as hell so you want to go fast. The rock gardens were always interesting because if you were in traffic, you would have to take some alternate, sometimes interesting lines. If you made it, you could make up a lot of positions. But if going off the preferred line backfired, then it cost you. I think I made up more positions and time than I lost in the rocks, but I still was not as clean as I think I could have been.
I got on another racers wheel and was tempted to pass, but he was riding well and I was pushing pretty hard so I decided to follow him. I ended up with him for 50ish minutes. It helped because we passed lots of other racers and I'm not sure I would have been as aggressive if I was solo. Not that I don't want to pass, but I tend to get complacent in the middle of some races, specially when I'm not feeling 100%. Eventually I couldn't hold on to his pace and he gapped and I lost sight. I think this was with about ~7 miles to go.
I didn't feel shot but I was close. I never felt like I was going to cramp, but I just didn't feel like I was holding the pace I should have been. When I got to one of the last climbs which was a doubletrack that went on forever, that's when I realized I was indeed shot. A glance at my power and HR and I realized I was on empty. I had a gel, sipped from my pack, and concentrated on spinning fast and stay smooth. This was probably an hour too late but I was in damage control mode.
The last rock garden section was a mind fuck for me. Someone told me it wasn't that bad, but it felt like the most challenging section of trail yet. I was gassed, which probably had a lot to do with it, but I just wanted to stop and collect myself. I was not riding clean at all, my triceps were burning, and I was in the red zone. I'm lucky I didn't OTB and f myself up, but someone was gaining and I wanted to keep every position possible. Of course, right after the rocks I got a stick caught in my derailleur and had to stop and pull it out letting that someone sneak by me.
Once the rock garden finished, the race was basically over. Just one last little climb which hurt, but knowing that was the last of the race made easier. Than the loooong downhill. It was nice that you could just coast to the bottom, but man that downhill was long as hell, and it would have been much more fun to give that elevation back on singletrack.

I ended up in 10th in the 45+ cat which is good but meh. Before the race I would have said I'd be happy with top 10, but after the race I was disappointed. Maybe not with my result, but with how I felt and my energy level during the race. I was probably a little under fueled....In all the pictures above, there's something missing, food. All I ate before this race was 3 crappy pancakes and syrup. My stomach was a little off leading up so I didn't want to stuff my face. In reality with my light training load (5-6 hours a week) I really need to nail things like nutrition and that didn't happen this weekend.

I also need to dial in my bike more. The suspension just feels too harsh...Front and rear. Maybe I simply need more time on it. Now that the weather is improving and we have more light, i'l start training 1 weeknight on the trails. Thursday CR hammer rides would be great, but I doubt anyone would show and Thursdays don't actually work for me. How about Wednesday hammer rides at Nassau?

Top Bottom