Jshort’s bike thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With the prices of Maurten, it's worth experimenting.

Stuff is expensive but lots of people find it to be way better than normal gels at the higher volume.
Their stuff really does work well. Maybe it’s the thickener they put in to make it slosh around in your stomach less, but I’ve used it in training and racing and I had good experience with it.
Except that it costs $3.50 for a bottle and to get the same ingredients wholesale it would cost about 20 cents (or whatever they came up with in that thread).
But for a runner, you should try it once. Their gels are also really good. Again I’m not sure why, based on the ingredients, but maybe after paying $ X.00 dollars gives per serving, you convince yourself it’s working and the mind takes over from there…

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Their stuff really does work well. Maybe it’s the thickener they put in to make it slosh around in your stomach less, but I’ve used it in training and racing and I had good experience with it.
Except that it costs $3.50 for a bottle and to get the same ingredients wholesale it would cost about 20 cents (or whatever they came up with in that thread).
But for a runner, you should try it once. Their gels are also really good. Again I’m not sure why, based on the ingredients, but maybe after paying $ X.00 dollars gives per serving, you convince yourself it’s working and the mind takes over from there…
The problem isn't even how much it costs during a race, it's all the training leading up to a race that is the killer in cost. Scratch and "food" like waffles and such add up when doing them almost every day. It feels silly to go out for a run/ride and each time is a few $$ on nutrition.

Luckily I haven't personally had gut issues but I was really focusing on nutrition when training two years ago that at the time I probably actually trained my gut to an extent. But I also really tried to stick to more solid foods like waffles than gels. Scratch in water was huge too.

As much as I'm intrigued by Maurten I'm not sure it's solving an issue I have. Yet...

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
https://stagescycling.com/en_us/stages-sb20-smart-bike-indoor-cycle I bought one of these and never looked back. I sold my first one before moving at covid price and actually made $100 and didn't need to move it. Then a month later Black Friday happened and I bought another for $600 less shipped. I love it for training, zwift racing etc and easy to adjust/setup for different bikes/people.

Nutrition like @jShort said is a rabbit hole. I am a fan of Infinit BUT I screwed it up too many times by mixing it too rich(sour stomach from not enough water to digest) and ruining countless races. When you mix it right it's the best I have used. Flow formulas is decent(doesn't mix very well but works(@Riggedfmx discount code maybe?). I randomly found a 50% off code for never second and the stuff is really good. Mixes well, easy on the stomach etc. I am sponsored by http://brlsports.com and TURBO25 gets you 25% off. I want today it tastes like a combo between Hammer heed and perpetual. For training rides I just do a PB sammich with banana and honey.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Dylan Johnson waxes his chain. Maybe @Pearl will do it now as well??…

If I did it I’d do it for all 3 drop bar road bikes and it seems like a nightmare to keep track of lol

Re: nutrition, that mix that Jonathan lee at TrainerRoad posted about works great and it’s cheap. I’ve done long rides on it and never took in another food. I think I could do more than 80g/hr but this is just too easy to have to adjust.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nutrition like @jShort said is a rabbit hole. I am a fan of Infinit BUT I screwed it up too many times by mixing it too rich(sour stomach from not enough water to digest) and ruining countless races.

This guy has a lot of good info. His point is that sour stomach comes from too little water and too much or too little sodium. The other stuff in the mixes is basically all the same.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I did it I’d do it for all 3 drop bar road bikes and it seems like a nightmare to keep track of lol

Re: nutrition, that mix that Jonathan lee at TrainerRoad posted about works great and it’s cheap. I’ve done long rides on it and never took in another food. I think I could do more than 80g/hr but this is just too easy to have to adjust.

They had a UCI world tour pro on and he said during the TDF he was taking in 160g an hour. Crazy.

I’m sure you can get up to 100g especially for rides over 3 hours

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i think with gels if i need a little boost i could do 100

the mix for reference:

the hardest part is going 3+ hours and not eating a solid thing, but still being full/not craving solids?

Cassinonorth

Is that similar to the SIS Beta Fuel stuff? I have a case leftover from my triathlon days....wonder if it's expired.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is that similar to the SIS Beta Fuel stuff? I have a case leftover from my triathlon days....wonder if it's expired.
Similar but Maurten isn’t flavored and has some thickener to prevent sloshing around in your stomach.

Everyone has a magic theory. But they're all wrong.
Maybe not all. It takes trial and error. There’s definitely no one size fits all, but that’s what most of the supplement manufacturers are trying to sell. They may recommend taking in different amounts of their mix but you can’t control the sodium ratios. And you probably need more salt in July than you do in April.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the hardest part is going 3+ hours and not eating a solid thing, but still being full/not craving solids?

Suck it up for an hour man. Lol. If you’re getting the fuel, your performance should not be impacted.

Maybe start off the race with more solid foods. The lower the GCI the longer it takes to actually get into your blood and make a difference. So maybe you can eat some of those skratch rice bars (example) with water at the start of the race and then move to blocks/gels and then straight liquid as the day goes on.

For me, eating anything in a wrapper is a total pain in the ass and I don’t take enough in because of it. Having all my calories in a bottle breaks down the barriers. YMMV.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And you probably need more salt in July than you do in April.

This is why I say they are all wrong. There are different situations and so many variables that what works today for a person may not work tomorrow. Your fitness level and the weather are 2 massive variables that can change the nutrition landscape considerably.

But like you say, buy Product X and all your worries will melt away.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i mean its just strange to not eat a solid food, i dont mind it at all, i actually enjoy it, its so much easier to keep track of, thats for sure

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is why I say they are all wrong. There are different situations and so many variables that what works today for a person may not work tomorrow. Your fitness level and the weather are 2 massive variables that can change the nutrition landscape considerably.

But like you say, buy Product X and all your worries will melt away.

Exactly. Which is why I give the dr dude on YouTube some credit. He’s not selling a product. (That I know of). He’s posted a bunch of great stuff in the trainerroad and slowtwitch forums.

He actually posted an article in the latter yesterday.
Haven’t read it yet.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will only say that back in the 80’s I rode with pieces of PowerBars stuck to my helmet or top tube. Yes, for real, solid-on-the-go.
🤣
I’ve seen people lick a Gu chomp and then stick it to their top tube and eat during a race. Last season and more than you may think. Pretty nasty to me, but whatever works to get them calories in.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I’ve seen people lick a Gu chomp and then stick it to their top tube and eat during a race. Last season and more than you may think. Pretty nasty to me, but whatever works to get them calories in.
i always wondered how they got them to stick...

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
What @jShort said. The sour stomach is 99% from lack of water to digest the calories . I thought because i was a bigger guy an extra scoop would be good. It probably was true but I would beed a larger water bottle at the same time. Twice at cathedral pines I puked after two laps because of this, rode sick for the next 2-3 before recovering and having my best laps at the end. Half sammiches like pb, banana nd honey wrapped in foil are pretty easy to eat but I typically only drink calories in races, even hundos. My best races were ones i swallowed several endurlolytes an hour and probably 1 salt tab per hour.

Top Bottom