James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Even the shit box hotel that locked up the yogurt fridge had a Peloton. I haven't tried it yet, but it claims you can get a guest account to ride. I've been hesitant because I feel like you'll get 1 free ride then they'll ask for your credit card. My coworker says you can hook people up as a user on an account if you have one, but I have not looked into doing that. Maybe this next trip.

Can confirm you get extra users under a paid account, intended for family. My wife subscribes and I have my own login via her sub. The bike rides are ok, and there are a ton of weight classes, stretching, and yoga. IMO it's a pretty good value especially if you have 2 adults using it. Of course that landscape changes when you're paying for zwift too.

On the weight lifting, I'm 75% with you. I've been doing it on/off the last year or so with goof physical results that of course align with my level of commitment.

I'm also dealing with some lower back and hip issues I had not been, but I can also pinpoint those to a specific injury and I'm also wondering if it's not just me getting older.

Point is, the Peloton weight classes have some good instructors (Andy Speer in particular) who focus a bit more on technique. I've found this helps to not over-do it, so long as I keep it in my mind that I can't over-do it!

I'm also wondering if it's not just me getting older.

It's probably that. Getting old can suck sometimes. But it doesn't make it any less real. All my back & sciatica pain has been around since I have been lifting weights. As a general rule, my back pain goes away if I stretch every day. At this point, I just have the hip/sciatica pain/annoyance and I'm working to get rid of it. In no reality does lifting weights play into that. I'm slowly adding in more core stuff to strengthen my overall, and not worrying so much about developing Arnold-like biceps.

I'm slowly adding in more core stuff to strengthen my overall, and not worrying so much about developing Arnold-like biceps

That's really all I'm after too. Just maintaining some sort of mobility and a healthy testosterone level as I get older. It also helps the waistline a bit more than cardio apparently, and I think I can back that up for me personally.

I'm starting to sound like I work for Peloton, but there is one stretch class they have that does wonders for my back and hip aches. It's called 20m lower body mobility by Hannah Corbin. If you get access definitely check it out.

It's called 20m lower body mobility by Hannah Corbin. If you get access definitely check it out.

unfortunately, (i have found out from browsing my wifes subscription) theres probably about 50 classes with that same name, it helps to note the date reference to go with it. (not sure if its the date it was recorded or the date it was published)

It's probably that. Getting old can suck sometimes. But it doesn't make it any less real. All my back & sciatica pain has been around since I have been lifting weights. As a general rule, my back pain goes away if I stretch every day. At this point, I just have the hip/sciatica pain/annoyance and I'm working to get rid of it. In no reality does lifting weights play into that. I'm slowly adding in more core stuff to strengthen my overall, and not worrying so much about developing Arnold-like biceps.
One thing I have realized is you do not need to do a lot of core to make a big impact. 10 min a session, a few times a week makes a huge difference. Much more than that and it is worth an evaluation of what the real goal is. Like something like biceps work has pretty much zero use other than flexing.

Last edited:
unfortunately, (i have found out from browsing my wifes subscription) theres probably about 50 classes with that same name, it helps to note the date reference to go with it. (not sure if its the date it was recorded or the date it was published)

Just one 20m Hannah Corbin stretch by that name. If you filter by type, length, and instructor you'll get there pretty easy
Screenshot_20240223-144015~2.png

February 24: Lots 'o Stuff

Lots going on today, but none of it especially exciting.

I started my day with a splendid cup of coffee, maybe the best brew of this bag so far. I also realized I've screwed up my coffee allotment, such that I won't get to Monday morning with the beans I have. This rarely happens, but it sent me into conserve mode. When I get to Rhode Island I'll buy some up there on the company dime. But for today, I'll need to skip a cup today or tomorrow. In the meantime, I bought the subscription for Passenger, which is a very good price.

Finished changing the last 2 smoke alarms, so now we have 6 new ones in the house. While I hope we'll never need them, we now have a new allotment across the board. Again, not exciting but it's a thing off the list. I then rode the bike while I watched the next-to-last episode of the Sopranos, and started the series finale. My ride was not exciting, and today was the 5th day in a row; I'm feeling tired. I'm still sick, as it happens. I've used NyQuil to sleep since that Wednesday in Rhode Island the week before last. It blows.

Dropped the truck off at the shop, because the "new" transmission is slipping already. Great. Then off to Costco where we spent $400 on what seemed like nothing when we eventually got home. Before home, we swung by the hardware store for light bulbs, and we took a pit stop at Ambee Coffee to give it a second shot. For those scoring at home, this would be my second stop here. I got the pour over, and this time it was a bit better. The shop is all organic, which IME tends to have beans on the more acidic side. As such, the roasts are harder to work with. We watched 1 barista try to teach the other 2, and we spoke a bit about the process. One admitted she has never made one of these.

Back home and I went to town changing all the light bulbs that have burnt out upstairs. In all, there were 16. This shit is expensive and I understand anyone who just chooses to live in the dark. Then I went out back to play with the dog and disassemble my framed out wooden berm. While the plan I was following would have worked, I decided it was going to be too much effort. I now have a plan B which I'll work on when it gets warmer outside.

While D rode the bike I did some bike & ski laundry, then I stretched while I watched the end of the Sopranos. The ending didn't bother me as much as a lot of people. I'm fine with how it went. Apparently there's a prequel which is decent, but at this point I think I'm going to watch something more upbeat. Perhaps a documentary on Pol Pot, or something along those lines.

I might pack later. Or tomorrow morning. Tomorrow will mark the 6th trip of the year, which will roll into the 7th next weekend. While I do like taking trips, this has been a bit much. And 2 of these have been to Rhode Island which is like...2 too many, if I'm being honest. But hey, I get to take the train tomorrow. So there's that.

di595XO.jpg

Hope you did LED bulbs. The heathens can leave them on until they all leave for college and they'll all still work.

Hope you did LED bulbs. The heathens can leave them on until they all leave for college and they'll all still work.

what brand LEDs are you using? i did the LED swap when we moved into our house in 2016 and have replaced several bulbs since, especially the outside ones seem to not last as long as advertised. . . . its kind of annoying to have to change bulbs that are advertised for 10 years

Hope your sciatica goes away, sometimes the dreaded couch is the only thing that will allow your body to heal the disc that's causing it.

Have you ever had anyone watch your form when you're lifting? Making sure your spine is neutral and braced properly on the more stressful lifts (back squat, deadlift etc) is absolutely crucial.

7 of them were the shitty mini bulbs that don’t come in LED. The rest were. They don’t really sell old school light bulbs anymore. Half of them come with settings on the bulb so you can adjust something or other. Warm cold or some shit.

Hope your sciatica goes away, sometimes the dreaded couch is the only thing that will allow your body to heal the disc that's causing it.

Have you ever had anyone watch your form when you're lifting? Making sure your spine is neutral and braced properly on the more stressful lifts (back squat, deadlift etc) is absolutely crucial.

The couch makes it all worse. The less active I am the more it irritates me.

No on the form. At this point I just don’t care enough to pursue that. Maybe one day.

The couch makes it all worse. The less active I am the more it irritates me.

No on the form. At this point I just don’t care enough to pursue that. Maybe one day.

Sitting and standing were absolutely killer for me. I also walked around like this

1000003464.jpg

Spines are dumb.

February 25: Amtrak

This will probably be my first & last foray with the Amtrak experience. I'm currently on my way to Providence, and while the business class seats are wide & comfortable, I was supposed to be at my station 40+ minutes ago. At this point, it looks like we're another 2 hours out, and climbing. The train was heavily delayed, which is a shitty way to start a trip. But every half hour, the scheduled arrival time goes up by 5 minutes. I don't know what janky-ass system they have going on here, but it's far less convenient than driving, or flying for that matter. In the end a flight would have been marginally more expensive and it would have been much faster. We're currently tooling along towards New Haven doing what I would guess is about 40 mph. I fail to understand how our infrastructure is so poor that this is the state of rail travel in the US. We took several trains in Europe a few years ago. The total cost for 5 of us to go from Paris to London was a little more expensive than what I paid today, and it was every bit as comfortable and 10x more efficient and on time. Amtrak is garbage.

IMG_8799.jpeg

Another product that hasn't made a profit since taking over, Amtrack owned and run by our federal government, and people actually are asking them to run our healthcare 🤣

Back
Top Bottom