It's just a training blog bro

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
It's my Birthday!
Well, It seems I haven’t done a proper one of these since 2016. A lot has changed since then. Also seems a whole new crowd has joined in. long gone are the days of constant banter on training blogs, but I will do my best to keep it honest and interesting. I’ve tried to log this with photos and stuff for my personal use behind closed doors, but it’s not the same.

What’s been going on since then. As someone who can constantly squeeze in 8-10 hours without too much effort, I think I have tapped out on my fitness at this point. I still have bad lunch decisions, continually eat through the kids Halloween candy, etc. I don’t know how much fitness I can squeeze out of the time I currently have set aside to getting fast.

The real reason I blogged was so I could look back on a year-by-year basis and see what changed. Reading all the crap about my first Cat 2 H2H race at Blue Mountain thinking I was going to die. It was a good way to engage with the people around the cycling scene in NJ and give an honest review/vibe of what was going down. I’d like to think that blogs on this site were part of the reason the community grew so much. So I’m back.

The million-dollar question; What does someone who lives 9 hours south of NJ think they are going to bring to the table with a blog? Who cares about what you are doing?

One, the feedback/discussion here has always been top notch. Something about being held accountable not letting the readers down. So yes, I’m using you. This is still kind of a home for me, believe it or not.

Two, the real reason; I wanted to document the complete year of using the FasCat Optimize platform. I should really be sponsored for this, but I wanted to give this platform a go.I’ve bought training plans in the past, used coaches, read books, I think I could do this myself. I’ve had great success with this and have gained a lot of fitness those ways. The trend seems to be that I’m stuck at where I am.

Why FasCat? It's a monthly thing (what isn't now and days) that gives you access to all of their training plans, allows you to build a plan based on it, and does some funky math with your wearable and TSS to give you a score on how you are recovering/advancing through your fitness. If you in the Green, train harder. Yellow, you gucci. Red, you need to chill/adjust. The one thing I’m hoping is going to be a big difference this year is the lifting phase. I’ve done short gym stints in the past, but not 2+ months.

So yeah, that is it. I’m going to give this a go and make sure I keep y'all engaged. I’ll back track a tad to keep it spicy if you want some cool stuff.

Oh yes, a blog is nothing without photos. Here is Finn, couple days post neuter, contemplating if this is how his life is going to be going forward.
Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 3.13.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing how you like Fascat... I was considering it, but decided on TrainerRoad (no specific reason other than a friend recommended it & had success with it). It's going well so far, but I'm definitely curious about Fascat.

I listen to the FasCat podcast quite frequently and have considered their plans but never pulled the trigger on the Off Season Plan. Would like to hear about the experiences.

Poor Finn missing his nuts.

Remember when first was a thing?

Finn is doing pretty well all things considered. It's like he enjoys having a pillow available at all times. They say another week with this thing on, but he's already sprinting around the backyard and the incision seems to be doing well. I think he was staring off into the backyard and into the trail we cut along the creek, dreaming about the days he can be set free from this torture device. He was super pissed when I didn't take him on our normal Monday lunch mtb shred. Like super pissed.

Where did we start?

Backtrack; August 18th I did my best ever power test (317w for 20 minutes/ 301w @156lbs ) and was feeling really good. I was attempting to be super fit for a gravel race out in mountains called Pisgah Monster Cross, but my body just knew I was crushing it and decided to get some stomach bug at the end of August. I took a solid 2 weeks off from doing anything really productive on the bike, mostly because I was peeing out of my butt for a week straight. Eventually I did some trail rides with Finn, couple hour lunch spins to enjoy the break from the humidity.

I dove into the Off-season plan plenty fresh. I started September 25th. It starts with 3 weeks of "foundation", which kind of gets your body used to some of the stuff you're going to do, but not overdoing it. Then 10 weeks of weights. I chose the at home gym plan as I had a squat rack and some kettle bells, I did my best without buying that ViPR thing they were looking to do. So tons of squats, I added some dead lifts. Plus going to the gym is another monthly fee, driving to and from, etc. They also want you to ride 30 minutes before and after. It's much easier to do that at home. Depending on the weather and how I feel, I lift, then do a chill MTB ride, or if I'm lazy I'll just sit on the trainer and watch Stephen A Smith argue. My max 1 rep max squat was 235 at the first "test". I failed 245. At the end of the strength phase, I was able to rep 235 4-5 times. Pretty cool to see massive gains being a newbie lifter. Long gone are the days of suddenly gaining 20-30w on our FTP, but big jumps in anything measured is cool. I feel like I could do more, but apparently the heavy lifting part is over.

Catching up to today, we have more focus on being explosive/fast with your lifts. Jump squats instead of heavy squats. FasCat has you lift one day, then do some sprints the next day. I must say that I've never done anything remotely close to "sprints" this early into the year. It seems that the trend is to touch that energy system a little bit in the off season though.

I was never a sprinter, but I'm hoping it makes a difference this go around.
(do people even want the strava links anymore, like who really cares?)

I will say that these felt really, really good. Sprinting from a standstill and cranking those RPMs up. My legs felt super fresh and could handle the jumps with ease. Couple weeks of this until we start the Sweet Spot base plan, that's when Santa leaves back for the North Pole.

Bike Check 1
I guess to keep things interesting as I've been gone for a long time, we can recap what kind of rides we got in the stable.

3OUXCXSBTu091qdKVieFrE_I3-OArhVB77rj1TVejdw-2048x1536.jpg

I was originally on a cracked 3T Exploro that was repaired (not my first time) and may have accidently bid on this because I wanted it. Ended up swapping all my crap over and bam, new bike. I think my seat position was a little off on the first ride making it feel strange. It certainly is a different beast from the Exploro, a little more upright, little more gnar ready, fits wider tires. The Exploro was awesome because it did really well as an endurance/racey road bike with 32s on it. I was very close to trying to find antoher one, but was really hung up on the 42mm measured tire max width. I have GXP on all my drop bar bikes, so I stick with some vintage cranksets to swap my powermeter over on all of them. I spent way too much time on the Sheldon Brown gear calculator to make sure 46 10/51 is going to be the perfect amount of gearing for me. The China carbon wheels are from 2018, same specs as the OG Stans Valors and have been absolutely bomb proof.

I only have one real ride on it, but I think it will be what I'm looking for in a gravel rig. Excited to see what fat tires we can fit in this pig.

Weights Thursday, It's amazing how doing the same weight that I did on Monday, on Thursday, it felt lighter. I guess your body makes them adaptations quick. I've been doing good holding off on buying Zwift or anything like that, but Sunday looks to be a wash out and I'm not sure I can mustard up 2 hours. I guess I can check my Netflix list and see if I have anything good.

The seated sprints are interesting, from a dead stop, seated, for 15 seconds. Certainly not the most efficient way to make power, but its building up the blocks to make more power, I guess.

The Stigmata is 20mm taller than the Exploro was in stack. I was extremely comfortable on that bike. In efforts to get the front end even lower, I thankfully found my old slamthatstem.com bearing cover:

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 6.35.18 PM.png

Power numbers look good...I mean I remember your old power numbers...they were like @Norm and I's numbers while we were asleep in bed and stuff :) Looks like Mandi starting feeding you and shit.

And ok, thats enough power numbers....hows the fam???

I see Mandi wore high heels so she’s only like a foot shorter than you now?

Saturdays call for OTS rides. The goal is to do between zone 2 and sweet spot as long as you can. Last time I did just under 2 hours and felt good. Today was asking for a tad more with 150 TSS. I blocked out 3 hours and gave it a wing.

Another thing since we last left each other, I really started to hit the sunrise/hour before sunrise weekend rides. It’s perfect since the kids sleep in on the weekends, usually while having a sleepover, and mandi is happy to sleep in on a Saturday morning. In the summer it’s almost necessary because it can be 100% humidity and 80 degrees before the sun comes up. In the winter it kind of sucks, but it’s nothing like a NJ winter.

So I set off at first light, got to the good roads on 15 minutes and smashed the lap button. I decided to put on some old school VeloBeats and just zone out, trying to smash between 200-260w for as long as I could.

Another thing I’ve learned was how important fueling is. I’ve finally dived into trying to hit 60-90g carbs on a training ride per hour and man, what a difference. It’s like race fuel. I can’t believe I didn’t do this sooner. In the past I had trouble with certain drinks flavors after X amount of hours, the cost of gels, etc. I ended up getting targeted ads for a drink mix called Formula369 and it seems to be the best cost per gram of carb I could find.

I smashed 180g of carbs in 2:45 total riding time, with 2.5 hours at 248w.

Pretty happy with that effort and I’m really hoping this is going to setup a good foundation going forward.

Bike check 2
IMG_9970.jpeg

This is now my oldest bike in the stable, with nearly 5,200 miles on it. I bought the CAAD4 frame for $350. The China carbon wheels have been bomb proof. The 11 speed still has its place. I don’t ride this too often, and really only ride it when I’m racing the Tuesday night crit/road race or think I’m going to crash in a sketchy group ride. Every time I jump on it, I forget how fast real road bikes are. I tell myself I should ride it more, but it being so harsh on a regular training ride makes no sense.

I am curious about the high carb thing snd will be trying. Not sure how much it will help with somone who is south of 200 watts but i guess we will find out.

Back
Top Bottom