• Bikes in the winter time? You crazy!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both, I ride in and out doors.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • It's winter and time to change sports. Ski/Snow board

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

xc62701

I ride outdoors whenever possible. Riding the trainer is just so mind numbing that I can't really do it unless its with a group of motivated people. Then it seems to be ok. I'd rather be out in the 20 degree weather on the road bike then on the trainer for a second. The coldness really isn't that bad as long as you have the gear for it. For me the biggest challenge is keeping the feet warm. I usually use a warm pair or two of socks in coordination with my booties to keep my feet warm. And when that doesn't work in lieu of buying winter shoes I'm going to tape up the shoe vents to try and keep a little more warmth. I'd love to get on the mtb on these cold days but with so little light after work the roadie is the best bet. The mtb comes out on the weekend if possible if conditions allow.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Hey xc62701 , I have used duck tape on the mesh part of my shoes before I bought winter shoes. It works ok, but I found that baggies on the inside worked better. Plus if you use shop rite bags and let them hang out, you get extra style points from the riding buds.

Ride on!

B.L.

Right on! Baggies are a bonus!

But, as you say, you can't beat winter shoes. I picked up the Answer Kasmirs last season, and they're taken me down into the teens. As Ryan said, if you have the gear, you're good to go. The Pearl am-fib booties are pretty burly, too. I rocked them last February down in VA in the teens (on the road). It was so cold I thought my tounge was going to freeze, but my feet were bearable. Lobster gloves are also a nice addition.

Another trick is to wait as long as you can to bust out the booties or winter shoes. If you're donning these in 40 degree weather in later October, you don't have much room to go from there.

Can't wait to get back in the woods this weekend...Saturday will be a good day to be off the road.

heythorp

Wow, we have someone who says they like the answers!!!!!

Ok BL if you didnt know there is a long winded thread about a bunch of topics, one of them about the very shoes you like. There are a bunch of us that bought them and we have not had very much luck with them.

Maybe you could share your sock choice and any other additions you use.

toe warmers have been my only saviour for cold rides.

Maurice

Another trick is to wait as long as you can to bust out the booties or winter shoes. If you're donning these in 40 degree weather in later October, you don't have much room to go from there.

Can't wait to get back in the woods this weekend...Saturday will be a good day to be off the road.

Great point! Someone told me way back when that you should train your body for high and low temperatures. Train in the cold, and train in the heat. Works pretty well... most of the time ;)

Brian, is there a bad day to be off the road :D

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I'm utterly shocked we have a Kashmir Answer fan among us. It makes me think it's not the shoe so much as the rider. It also makes me wonder if there's something to the beefier guys among us just having cold feet. All the skinny guys I know don't seem to have this problem.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Yeah I'm utterly shocked we have a Kashmir Answer fan among us. It makes me think it's not the shoe so much as the rider. It also makes me wonder if there's something to the beefier guys among us just having cold feet. All the skinny guys I know don't seem to have this problem.

A (fat) wide foot will leave no room for toe wiggle. This could cut off bloodflow.

I thought the answers were not the answer.

I do howver think that the Lake shoe is the Answer.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A (fat) wide foot will leave no room for toe wiggle. This could cut off bloodflow.

It's funny, plenty of room in the toe box (or whatever they call it, penalty box, etc etc). But still after an hour they're just cold. After 2 forget it, hot shower simply hurts. The upside is that there seems to be enough room for a thicker sock AND toe warmers if ened be. Downside is that built in booty will be tough to jam my foot through.

B.L.

Yeah...saw that crazy long post about winter shoes...

I definitely have a narrower/flatter foot which does allow me a little more room in the toe box to wiggle around. I also found they run a bit big, as I run 48 Sidi's, but 47's in the Answers. For socks, if it's normal cold, I use Pedro's Wool Socks made by Sock Guy. It's it really cold, I'll put a THIN cycling sock on under the wool socks. That seems to work for me...hopefully I still feel this way after tomorrow's ride!

ArmyOfNone

im wearin the answer shoes as well. Way better than summer shoes, but i think something w/ goretex is the way to go. Im thinkin of gettin a pair of the shimano winter shoes. Before the winter is over.

PedalPaddles

I guess if we didn't ride we would be talking about dress shoes???

As ChrisG will tell you, sock selection is one of my favorite subjects. When it’s cold enough to wear tights, I use Smartwool’s ultra thin ski sock. If it is below 35F I will also wear a liner sock under that. These leave plenty of wiggle room inside my regular Sidi shoes. If that is not warm enough I add a pair of Pearl Izumi AmFib covers. If it is like today and I’m looking for more insulation I add a fleece sock OVER the shoe under the AmFibs. (I cut a hole in the fleece sock for the cleat and fleece does not unravel) I prefer the high socks because they keep my ankles warm. The blood flowing to your feet has to go through your ankles, so if your ankles are warm, so is the blood getting to your toes. Likewise, if your ankles are cold, so is the blood by the time it gets to your toes. My toes stayed warm today despite riding mostly on ice and doing some extra waiting. I was able to enjoy being outside for about 3 hours.

Top Bottom