Infrared portable sauna for detoxifying and recovery?

MV5BYjlmMWIyY2QtZmY0Ni00ZGUyLWI3YjktN2JmMTM3ZDRjZTE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

This shit is all marginal gains. Eat right, recover right, sleep, etc. that’s 98% of it. All this other crap is all mental.
If I spend 5k on a sauna, god damn right I’m telling people it’s amazing.
I don’t buy into that 100%. One of the biggest things motocrossers do between motos or after hard workouts is take an ice bath. I was talking to my neurologist and he gave me a whole list of stuff from vitamins to saunas to sunlight that work. He explained how and why a sauna works. I am just trying not to buy a brand but rather function. I have been extremely sore lately(joints, tendons, muscles) and I heard a sauna helps a lot with this. Maybe it’s just from stress but if it works then I want to be stress free!

Last edited:
I don’t buy into that 100%. One of the biggest things motocrossers do between motos or after hard workouts is take an ice bath. I was talking to my neurologist and he gave me a whole list of stuff from vitamins to saunas to sunlight that work. He explained how and why a sauna works. I am just trying not to buy a brand but rather function. I have been extremely sore lately(joints, tendons, muscles) and I heard a sauna helps a lot with this. Maybe it’s just from stress but if it works then I want to be stress free!
iirc moving out of NJ was the cure to most of your ailments maybe try that for a few months?

DT is all mental, so he needs a $2000 sauna to detox. 🤪
Pretty sure you can’t sweat out what he got

DT is all mental, so he needs a $2000 sauna to detox. 🤪
Lol!! No doubt

TLSS- total life stress score should start with controlling thoughts that have flooded your brain with silly ideas. That alone is great start to recover. It’s bananas how far amateur athletes are going nowadays but to each their own.

Imma bump this two years from now and see how the progress is going.

Last edited:
Feel the need to chime in here -

I have a Clearlight IFRS for 2 years now. I can report increased recovery rate from 3-4x’s per week usage.

A few things to know. IFR’s are not about building heat shock. While they certainly do stimulate you thermoreceptors there are better ways to do that if you’re just after the vagal nerve activation. Like conventional saunas which get much hotter and/or contrasting showers/cold plunges/ice baths.

It’s they way the IFR light effects your mitochondria. Said simply, it creates cell metabolism which in about 20 mins will increase your recovery rate due to elevated rate. That’s how they can effectively create some detox effects. It’s all about the light not the heat.

The main reason to spend more $$$ on one is the amount of EMF the heaters can give off. Depending on how/where they are made they can give off dangerous levels of EMF.

When I got my unit, Clearlight and Sunlighten were the only 2 companies with independent lab tests on EMF. That may have changes by now. I would still proceed with a buyer beware mentality especially for units that cost 1/10 of the price.

It’s they way the IFR light effects your mitochondria. Said simply, it creates cell metabolism which in about 20 mins will increase your recovery rate due to elevated rate. That’s how they can effectively create some detox effects. It’s all about the light not the heat.

The main reason to spend more $$$ on one is the amount of EMF the heaters can give off. Depending on how/where they are made they can give off dangerous levels of EMF.

Not that I don't belive that this could be true, but there is some woo woo buzzwords in there...

Any way you can source, or even define what "detox effect" are?

Going to have to ask for more sources on the second half as well. By EMF do you mean electro-magnetic field/frequency? Can you provide a source saying this is bad? Can you also define what frequency is given off at what power level? I would like to see the results of the independent lab test.

That Info is readily available. Here’s a contribution to your search https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4935255/

Anecdotally- I also do not care for the term “Detox” either. If you read in more you will see the FIR light does indeed create metabolic effects within the cell which you can then say will expedite many cellar processes. Including waste elimination.

I have no skin in this game in terms of trying to advocate anyone decided they should or should not use one. I wanted, however, to share that infrared saunas are distinct to regular saunas.

The reason that professional athletes do the ice bath thing (those with $$$ do liquid nitrogen cryo) is to decrease inflammation, which reduces oxidative stress and speeds up recovery. Technically, this is what you should be doing post-workout. Pre-workout the heat (from IR, sun, sauna, dynamic warmup, etc.) promotes circulation and increases flexibility without you actually having to do much physical work, there is a reason they start with heat when you go to physical therapy, and end with cold. In between workouts heat is a good thing to start with if you are going to do focused stretching on a daily basis, and that should be dynamic stretches (yoga, etc.) vs. static.

@graveyardman67 has one and I recall him saying he likes it a lot. Definitely wasn’t a cheap model.
Yes, I have a Therasauna which uses Far-IR. I haven't done any double-blind studies. But sitting in there on a cold weekend is the best. Just to feel the heat on your skin is so mentally invigorating. Plus it's just another excuse to hang around naked at home. I became a member of one of those buying clubs when we bought our first house. I think it was 30% off the list price through them, I'm not sure they even carry that line anymore. I use it at least once a week and definitely more in the winter. Very much like and I can still see.

We also have a traditional hot rock sauna at our training facility in Fairfield. The Russians really like that one, especially when they have to weight cut. In the winter they fill a feed trough with snow and water, 15 mins in the sauna, 5 minutes in the ice bath. 3 of those cycles and it's like you just got supercharged.

Back
Top Bottom