i'm sooooo sick....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
yeah, i'm offically sick today. so, i'm gonna bottle that stout that i was supposed to bottle last month, and run a bunch of errands. might go ride somewhere out of town later. depends on when i finish all my other stuff. and, uh, if i, you know, miraculously get better.....:rolleyes:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
anrothar said:
yeah, i'm offically sick today. so, i'm gonna bottle that stout that i was supposed to bottle last month, and run a bunch of errands. might go ride somewhere out of town later. depends on when i finish all my other stuff. and, uh, if i, you know, miraculously get better.....:rolleyes:

hey, can you save me a bottle of that stout? i think i may start brewing one of these days too. i drink too much beer not to at least give it a try.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
damnit! i don't have enough caps. that settles it. im going to corrados to buy easycap bottles. and a new wine theif, since mine has been losteded.

jake, definitely will save you a bottle.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
anrothar said:
damnit! i don't have enough caps. that settles it. im going to corrados to buy easycap bottles. and a new wine theif, since mine has been losteded.

jake, definitely will save you a bottle.

sssssswwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt!! thanks bro.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
EZcap bottles friggen RULE!!! do does this stuff i got that you just pour directly into the uncarbonated beer before bottling to prime it. life just became soooooo much easier...

also just ordered labels from http://www.myownlabels.com pretty reasonable.

Shaggz

A strong 7
anrothar said:
EZcap bottles friggen RULE!!! do does this stuff i got that you just pour directly into the uncarbonated beer before bottling to prime it. life just became soooooo much easier...

also just ordered labels from http://www.myownlabels.com pretty reasonable.

easier than boiling up some primer sugar and dumping it into the bottling bucket prior to pre-bottle racking?

i know it takes away from the allure of opening a bottle, but quite rankly, kegging is by far the easiest way to go. there are some downside issues with respect to storage, up-front costs and portabilty, but it is pure bliss to have your own home brew on tap.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shaggz said:
but it is pure bliss to have your own home brew on tap.

So as it pertains to my new post in the Nutrition & Training thread...ah, never mind.

Shaggz

A strong 7
beer builds better bodies! actually, the vitamin b complexes from the yeast are great, especially for the immune system (important in the winter).

anrothar

entirely thrilled
steve, you get my email about gravity? i only have a few more free hours in the kitchen...

gist:

og-1.090
5+ months in secondary
sg now-1.030
i used a champagne yeast, dry. is it possible to have a fg of 1.030, or will i have bottle bombs?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Shaggz said:
easier than boiling up some primer sugar and dumping it into the bottling bucket prior to pre-bottle racking?

you litterally just pour this stuff(liquid) directly from bottle into fermented wort, then bottle away. claims 7-10 days to full carb, which i'm not sure i'm believing just yet.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i guess it saves the step of boiling the sugar in water. probably like a simple syrup. i assume you rack from the secondary fermentation vessel prior to bottling?

Shaggz

A strong 7
sean - just checked my mail - your zoning comment almost pushed me over the edge considering what is happening with the highlands - i feel like i am in russia right now.

back ot - those gravities do not seem unreasonable, but how accurate are your measurements? i don't know your fermentables/recipe, but this is an excellent reason to use pro mash - you just add your ingredients, and it will calculate your sg/fg without these concerns. champagne yeast is very tolerant, and my guess is that you won't have bottle bombs.

curious: how many times did you rack over the 5 months? sometimes that jump starts a slow fermentation. did you check gravity at each racking? did you use any yeast nutrients or irish moss, finings?

another point of interest will be to see how well this ois will condition in the bottle... i can't wait to try it.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
that is a completely different language you two are speaking.

anrothar, i'm going to a&p to get some cold weather brews tonight...i'm planning on having another four beer drunken evening!! yippie for me!

Shaggz

A strong 7
what are you picking up?!?!?! my wife wants wine, and i want beer. maybe i'll get one of those belgians with the cork in it and tell her it's champagne.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oh good. everything should be in order then. it's a malty brew, no doubt, i should know. i sampled about three bottles worth while bottling, and just cracked a bottle of the honey heather red ale i had forgotten about down in the basement. the numbers on that site are almost dead on. the ingredient are:

Specialty Grains

* 0.5 lbs. Simpson's Roasted Barley
* 0.5 lbs. Simpson's Black Malt
* 0.5 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate
* 1 lbs. McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal

Fermentables

* 12 lbs. Amber Malt Syrup
* 3/4 cup black strap molassas

Boil Additions

* 3/4 oz. Galena (60 min)
* 1 oz. Fuggle (45 min)
* 1 oz. Willamette (10 min)

it's based on northern brewers imperial stout kit, with some additions and subtractions of my own.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oh, ah,

racked twice over the 5 months, early. i really should do it more often. i probably used a tblspn of food grade urea for yeast nutrient, and my measurements are based off a hydrometer reading at @70 degrees fluid temp.

Top Bottom