IGVENTURE

soulchild

Prom on a Thursday night?

That is strange, no? I honestly don't remember what day either oft proms fell on but this just seems odd.

Iggy you're not old, 40's are the new 20's. By that logic I am still a teenager and the world is (optimistically) my oyster.

Rational seems legit.

Robin

a lot of schools actually have their proms on Thursdays now...it's cheaper and forces the kids to "behave" since they are expected in school the next day. They just have to put off their shore trip until after school on Friday.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Post Prom

I know getting old is a part of life and I don't fight it. Its just a weird feeling when you see your kids growing up. Its like BAM, all of a sudden there 18 and an adult. In my mind there childhood seemed like 20 minutes ago. Talking to other parents at Evan's pre-prom get together I'm not alone in feeling that this is a weird stage of parenthood.

Well I can tell you when I don't feel old, like when I'm riding my bike. Saturday I went out on the road bike since all the trails were wet from fridays rain. My mtb is still in the shop from the BS50. I ordered a Wheels Manufacturing Derailleur hanger that came in late last week. I'm in no big hurry to get the geared mtb back together since I'm racing SS for Lewmo & Kitattiny.

Saturdays ride was the Pearly gates ride. When I used to ride with the Cranford Bike team thats what they called it, I think its because of the climb up Black River Rd...but I'm not sure. The good stuff happens up around Rockaway rd. and the roads around Hacklebarney State park. These are roads less traveled that tell the story of NJ from days of long ago. Farmlands, stone field houses and roads that seemed like they were carved out of old indian trails. In between intervals I was taking in the beauty.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324722499

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well I got out on the SS yesterday to do a lap and a half of the lewmo race course. I was able to squeeze this in while J was at soccer practice.

Going CCW I'm pretty sure 32/18 is the gear for me. There was too much climbing in the first half to do 2:1 gearing and there are no really long flat sections. It seems like your either going up or down.

Overall the course going CCW felt ok, but I wasn't going at race pace. Come race day it should hurt, it always does. The G2 geometry of my GF Rig always feels good from the moment I hop in the saddle, as opposed to my Cdale Flash which takes some getting used to. I just wish the Rig was lighter, that SS feels heavier then my geared bike.

Fanta Cherry is the best icee flavor. I got such a brain freeze at Quick Check yesterday, like 2 or 3 times. Even though I know its going to happen I can't resist it.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I recently learned how to squash the brain freeze, when it comes on press your tongue firmly on the top back part of your mouth. Stops it in its tracks.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
LewMo

This race reminds me of that girl every guy dated in hs, easy. Not that racing is ever easy, but rather the proximity to my house and the fact that its not technical make for less hassle.

I met Utah and Kirt here the day before the race for a couple laps. When I was done I didn't bother taking the bike off the roof rack when I got home. I was kinda hoping someone would steal my bike overnight so I had a good excuse not to race. I woke up with sore hamstrings after working in the yard all day Saturday.

Sunday morning I rolled in next to Kirt, did some warm-up and BOOM, raced my SS. I felt good the first lap, staying with the top 5 guys, the 2nd lap I began to fade a bit halfway through. At this point I no longer was with the front runners and a couple other SSer's passed me. My legs were ok despite all the yard work the day before, the pace was just too fast for me to keep up with the leaders.

Halfway through the 3rd lap after the really steep section my quads began to cramp a bit. I backed off the pace a little so my legs wouldn't lock up and tried to stay seated in the saddle and pedal. Running 32x18 ccw on the race course required me to put in a lot of out of the saddle efforts.

The highlight of the race was passing Kevin(ss'er) late in the 3rd lap before the descent down teal. This got me to 7th place, which doesn't sound impressive but my time of 1:39 was 3 minutes faster then last year. With more climbing in this direction I though the times would be slower. I guess the saying It doesn't get easier, you just go faster holds true.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
no pics of the dirt rash?

In retrospect that was funny. I was behind Lundegard going down orange and busting his balls telling him to stay off his brakes as I was inch's from his back wheel...then I go down on the hard left turn. I am a such a leg shaver.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
480898_10201507041347769_1812640959_n.jpg

For me this season has been divided into two era's, before the Battenkill and after the Battenkill. Since this race was back in April, I am now in the post Bkill mode.

I remember Ben writing something to the effect that he basically trains really hard for Battenkill early in the season then rides out the fitness gained from training for the rest of the season at other races. This is pretty much how I have approached this season. After the intense prep for Battenkill its too difficult for me to maintain such a high level of training and show up to races. What this means is I don't have high expectations when I show up to race my mtb, its more like what I'd call maintenance racing. Holding steady, not losing ground but not really making gains.

What I have to do to make gains is build another training program aimed at peaking for a race. I have my sights set on Cathedral Pines late in the season. This is an endurance race in which I've had the goal of getting 8 laps in before the 6hr. cutoff. I was training for this last year but Hurricane Sandy put an end to that. The fact that the race is late in the season works well since it gives me time to rest up before taking on an intense training program. Also Hillier then Thou falls about a month before this which is great endurance training race before CP. I did this last year, hopefully I'll have some teammates with me this year for the sufferfest.

And for the record I'm not a fan of Neil Young's After the Goldrush. I remember getting this album as a teenager and thinking wtf is wrong with his voice. He sounds like a girl. I want to say there was a rumor going around that he had cancer or something during this album. This is a highly acclaimed record but I don't get it. I'm more a fan of Harvest material, this was Neil's heyday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkGOrIBCcg4

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also Hillier then Thou falls about a month before this which is great endurance training race before CP. I did this last year, hopefully I'll have some teammates with me this year for the sufferfest.

HTT is on my radar but I'm sure I'll watch you ride away from me on that one:p. And CP is always one of my favorites. Now I just need to recover from this goddamn bronchitis!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you didn't bong out enough to enjoy "AFTER THE GOLD RUSH" I think I hate you a little more that you would say such a thing :D maybe it's because your just a youngster and just missed it :rolleyes:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't updated this in awhile, so I'll just start riffing on whats going on.

Captain Obvious is back. Its a dreary Saturday morning, which I'm not complaining about. If we woke up every morning to a bright sun shinny day that would get old, I enjoy a break in the weather. Also this is a rare weekend I have off from work and I'm not running out of the house to go cycling. Well I am going to race KVSP tomorrow but there will be not need to rush in the morning, Cat 1's don't go off until 1:00.

1:00 Start, now that's different. Can't say that I like it, especially since its going up to 90 degrees tomorrow and I'm hearing rumors that they sanitized the course to make it more roadie then lewmo...but hey I signed up for it. A friend of mine texted me and said don't sell your hair to the wig shop. I texted back that its only hair and it will grow back, plus I need the money.

Racing is still racing, no matter what and I want to race tomorrow. After KVSP I'm gonna take it easy for awhile. The plan is to pick up the intensity toward the end of August to prepare for Cathedral Pines endurance race in November. Again, this is not the most exciting race course but I really want to do 8 laps on this course. This is a goal I had last year but due to the storm CP was cancelled.

Also I have Hillier Than Thou on my calendar on 9/22. I did this last year and have to say this is the hardest race/ride I've ever done. Doing 100 miles of the hardest climbs in NJ is crazy and not a century I would attempt if it where not for the fact that others are attempting it. Santalucia asked when are we gonna pre-ride this course. Germy nailed it when he replied pre-ride...lol. Knowing Santalucia I'm not sure if he was kidding or not about the pre-ride. That is one course that you don't pre-ride, in fact I'm still trying to forget what awaits me on Hillier Than Thou. I know Fiddlers and Iron bridge are always in it as well as a bunch of other vertical challenges. My training for this will consist of making sure I can ride my bike for 6+ hours on a course with a lot of vertical at a competitive speed . Other than that I don't want to see the course until day of.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231162435

Evan Graduated HS. This is a crossroads right now in our house, Evan is going to Montclair in September. He is going to live there, its close enough for him to commute but we are all in agreement that its best to get the away from home experience. Freshman year is the hardest for kids in college, fitting in is the hardest part. I hear a lot of stories from other parents about kids washing out after one year. There is a lot that could go wrong; homesick, partying, poor grades, loneliness...

I think it all comes down to a maturity level. Hopefully Evan will see college for what it is and be able to handle it. He seems to have a good attitude about school and I told him to be open to others and accepting. All these freshman are in the same boat, there away from home and don't know anyone. Making friends is important. If not, Union County College is right down the road from where we live.

954621_10201364577426260_1153145860_n_zpsa50c286b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Folks have been wondering why I haven't been posting up. I do have stuff to share but I guess I've just been lazy. Now that I am in winter mode there is more time for me to write up my thoughts. I just did a race in Long Island Saturday, here is my recap.

1471399_10100345768953378_587399718_n.jpg

Cathederal Pines Cat 1 40-49

Saturday- Went to CP with Chris Nostrand, he lives in town(Cranford), so this was really easy. This dude is so casual about racing, morning of I asked him if he is going to switch out the flat pedals on his bike, he says maybe, if I have enough time before the start...he hadn't ridden a mtb since the mtbnj picnic. We shoot the shit on the way there and talk about everything except bike stuff.

We get there, its cold and the pre-reg line is a mile long. Smoke from a garbage can fire emitting no heat manages to drift towards me for 20 minutes as I wait in line, by the time I got my # I felt like I smoked a carton of cigaretts.

Suit up, listen to race meeting talk, then head down to start area. At this point I have been at CP for about an hour, made small talk with the usual peeps, got dressed and got my number on my bike...so I'm ready to race.

The horn goes off for the mass start of like 300 people. Of all the races I do this is the biggerst cluster fuck I have ever encountered. The prologue for this involves an uphill start on a road less then a mile long into the single track. Everyone wants to get into the single track first before it gets gummed up. I've done this race 3x and I can say the only person who does not get stuck at the funnel to the single track is the first guy. There are mulitple crashes at the start and I find myself using my forearms like shields to keep riders and bikes off of me. I manage to stay upright and stay in the front 3rd of herd but still have to get off my bike to walk multiple sections in the first 10 minutes of the race.

My goal for the day is to get 8 laps in, cause all the really fast guys do 8 laps. This means I have to do 51 minute laps or less. The first lap was the most frustrating, the mass start made it tough to settle into a groove. I complete my first lap in 50 minutes then settle into a groove and really enjoy the flow that this course has to offer. By the 4th lap I have built up a 18 minutes ahead of schedule buffer. 1 Speed(Martin) is behind me during this lap and we share a comman goal of doing 8 laps, except he is on a SS. It was nice having someone to talk with as the clock ran down.

As I finished the 6th lap the clock said something like 4:47, but don't quote me. This means I had over an hour for lap 7 to make it under the 6-hour mark and get an 8th lap in. All my lap times where well under 50 minutes so I just focused on staying smooth and taking good lines so as not to flat or mechanical out.

At the finish of lap 7 the clock said 5:37...looks like we made it! Despite the fact that I felt fatigued at this point I was so happy to start this lap. The leader was to far in front of me to catch and there was no one chasing me, so this lap was on my time and I enjoyed my 8th lap victory ride. Martin and I finished out the race together, 1Speed actually had legs to sprint to the finish I on the other hand was content to soft peddle and take in the cheers as I finished in 2nd place in my age group. It was nice to share the podiums with fellow Chris's, Michaloski in 1st & Gozick in 3rd.

Thougts While Racing Music helped me get through the day. Songs in my head where Tom Ford(goin up goin down...), as well as music by the Avett Brothers and the Decemberists. I have really been digging the later two bands lately. There is so much good music out there that u never hear on conventional radio...and they wonder why no one listens to radio anymore. Maybe its because top 40 sucks and the companies that own radio stations don't know shit about music.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Congrats on the 2nd place! I knew Mr. G was ancient, but I didn't know the other Chris was that old...

Top Bottom