IGVENTURE

After every CX race I have a tendency to say that was the hardest race I've done. Saturday was Supercross, a fitting name for an event that is legitimately one of the toughest courses around and here's why.

Located due East of Ringwood State Park on the campus of Rockland Community college, you can see the mountains of Harriman in the background on the large rolling campus. The scale of everything around me as I stood in the parking lot was big, the trees, the hills, the parking lots, the school…the 10 Porta John's lined in a row seemed dwarfed by their surroundings. My initial impression was that this is racing on a grand scale.

As I did a warm up lap with Justin, my impressions proved correct, the course was truly incredible. Conditions where dry, turns where sweeping, which required little need for breaking or hard cornering. The climbs where punchy and steep while others where steady and gradual, the other sides of climbs where roller coasters or easy downhills, in between flat sections pointed into the wind and there was an occasional woods section which was not very technical. This all amounted to the course being very pedal-eee, it was wide open, those with an abundance of power can go at it full throttle with no need to let up.

Supercross is part of the Vittoria series which is one of three race weekends, North Hampton MA was last weekend and Warwick RI is the first weekend in December. As the longest standing UCI race in the United States it attracts the fastest racers from the region as well as the bottom feeders like myself. This race jumped on my radar because Sean told me to do it, as one of my go to CX gurus I listen to him, needless to say it was every bit the epicness that he said it would be.

With an abundance of fast guys in my 50+ category, there was little surprise with my 3rd row call up. At the go we raced uphill to some sweeping turns, which were not that sweeping when you try and fit 34 racers through them at once, these moments were the only points in the race where I had to slow with intent, once we thinned out there was no need to grab a handful of break. In under 3 minutes I had completed the prologue section and came through the finish, which began a gradual climb to the barriers. These things require great effort, given the previous climbs, instead of a recovery spin you were faced with keeping the effort on 10 as you tried to dance yourself and bike over these hurdles. After my race I watched other racers come to these barriers and was amazed at the young kids who rode over these barriers like water flowing over rocks. Conversely I also saw racers biff them while running and end up on their ass.

Them Barriers.
View attachment 111150

Following the barriers was an off camber gradual climb with good grip which led to a flat, turn, woods, rollers, more turns, another flat and finally THE CLIMB. During the warm up this climb did not feel that difficult however after non stop race pace with no recovery and now having to dig deep to make it to the top of a steep rise, it was the nail in the coffin on a course that was relentless. Some guys ran it, I rode it but barely, for my second lap I backed off a bit before the climb which left me open for attack but I made the time back up and over the climb.

My favorite part of the course was the final woods track, this is where I could recover with less pedalling and braking yet still hold pace. Unfortunately, this section was not long enough, before I knew it, I was back at the finish area grinding the gradual hill and finding myself blowing up from previous efforts. My heart rate would not come down, which left me feeling wasted, I could not attack so I had to go into damage control mode. Maybe I had trained too hard prior to this and was not as fresh as I could be or maybe the course was much harder than anything I had raced previously. The end result was me getting 17/34, while I felt like I did not have my best stuff, it was good enough given the abundance of regional talent as well as competing on a demanding classic CX course.

I'm a fan of the drops, get low, in tech and downhill, lay off the breaks ride it out and hold a tight line. The back wheel may slide a bit but that's ok.
View attachment 111151

So, after 5 CX races this year I'll compare Mtb racing to CX. If you poured 12oz. of mtb racing into a glass beaker and placed it over a CX Bunsen burner, you would boil off the technical bits and be left with 4 oz. of pure power. I've done well with mtb racing because that's what I do a lot, I have tech skills. With CX racing it's more about power and less so technical ability. Yes there is a finesse to handling a CX bike, those who have power and skills win the race. At this point going all in on power is new to me, CX is like a condensed form of mtb racing. Saturday was my last CX race of the season, next year I'll be back, hungry for some more. Having raced Road, MTB and CX, I'd say CX is the purest form of racing out there. There is no drafting and team tactics, technical riding ability is not highlighted so much, it's mainly about power and going head to head with the guy next to you, which always makes for great competition.

Over the summer I lined up with Dave Kahl and Eric Schlauch at Lewis Morris. I can't match Dave's power and usually loose to him in mtb races, Dave is a top 10 regional finisher in CX. Eric has much power, in the neighborhood of top 5 regional CX guy but not so much tech. I will add that both guys are great to race with and chat with post race.
View attachment 111152
What’s that funky bike you’re on?

Having raced Road, MTB and CX, I'd say CX is the purest form of racing out there.

Nice work. And this is what everyone who races cross gas been saying :)

Last time I did supercross was 2 years ago and it was 3 inches of slop mud the entire course. That was the worst race I ever did, right next to hippo from last year.

Wait till next year when you do Nittany or some other big race with huge fields. It's pretty awesome.
Also, hitting up a weekly cx practice (Otto's ) is super beneficial for a bunch of reasons but namely because you can't duplicate cx efforts unless you racing and these are basically 13-18 minute races and 2 you'll meet a bunch of people who are at the races. And it's good to know the people!

What’s that funky bike you’re on?
My teammate Glenn was gracious enough to let me borrow his CX bike for this race. I'm now looking to get one next year.

Wait till next year when you do Nittany or some other big race with huge fields. It's pretty awesome.
I'm going to stick with my plan to do about 6 CX races next year, so I'll pick the best ones that work with my schedule. I liked this year, I did CX but left time to mtb as well, it was a good balance.

great recap and good to hang out again. talk to @mbruno about this bike. Problem solved. I'll even throw in a longer stem as a house warming gift.
Part of the appeal of CX racing for me is having a buddy to go with, it takes a bit of the edge off and thanks for the guidance.
That bike is too small, I like being stretched out more on the reach, Bruno is a shrimp.

I kinda wonder how these guys feel about a guy that just shows up and podiums (often on a mtb)
Rick is a nice guy and so are the other 50+ guys I've encountered racing. Yeah, we're aggressive on the course and with each other while racing but after the race we're all good.

I'd imagine some guys really want to pass me when they see a SS mtb at a CX race. On occasion I've seen guys on a CX bike at a mtb race, I'm like WTF are you thinking.

Rick is a nice guy and so are the other 50+ guys I've encountered racing. Yeah, we're aggressive on the course and with each other while racing but after the race we're all good.

I'd imagine some guys really want to pass me when they see a SS mtb at a CX race. On occasion I've seen guys on a CX bike at a mtb race, I'm like WTF are you thinking.

BTW, Rick and Eric both regularly attend Otto's. May as well plan on it for next year. Usually starts in mid to late August. ?

I saw a guy racing Wilderness 101 on a cx bike. Didn’t a cx bike win LewMo open class one year?

The hardest thing about Cathedral Pines race is the mass start, it's the only event I compete in that still does it. 350 people at the start line, approximately 60 mountain bikers abreast, coalescing to an unorganized mob. The mob contains all levels of racers, pro to beginner, seasoned veterans to first timers, all beginning a race that leads uphill on an asphalt road to a hard pack gravel road filled with dirty water potholes, which eventually winds around into the tight single track. I've done this race 9 times, 4 of them as a two man team. When I can avoid going first, I do, the mass start is a shit show, everyone trying to get into the single track at the front leads to a frantic mess.

Saturday morning I was elected to go first at CP. My teammate and race partner, Brian Ackerman, while a strong 30-39 Cat 1 racer, was not in peak form given his work schedule and the fact that he's still in the honeymoon faze with his girl. Plus I had been doing all these CX races, which makes me well versed at frantic starts.

Deep down inside I wanted to go first, after 10 years of hosting, the race promoters announced they would no longer be doing it after this year. While I hate this start, this was my last time to conquer it and conquer you must if you want to be competitive. Not getting up front equates to a bottlenecked first lap in and endless twisting turning single track.

So there I was, in the front row of the mob at 8:55 on Saturday morning. Jeff Mandell was next to me, he's a strong endurance racer who I'm friendly with, he's big and can be vocal when needed, someone I want in front of me to clear a path. The horn blows and we race uphill, I have a problem clipping in, I stutter step but manage to lock in and begin the sprint. Jeff is in front of me and we are in a lead group of 20 riding behind a pace car to take us up the road. At the top of the road the pace car pulls off and we make a right turn onto a gravel road. The pace heats up, my 32x17 SS was fine on the climb but now that the road is flat I find myself spinning out and the mob behind me is now upon me. In the past, this is where I would blow up and loose 15th place and be absorbed by the hoard, today however this was not the case.

After doing 5 CX races this fall, I was better prepared for the intensity that this start requires. Fortunately my legs responded and was able to bridge up to the lead group. With about 50 yards to go until the single track, panic set in, I sensed the frenzy of the guys around me and got my elbows out as the shouting erupted. With the trail in sight we swung wide to make a left hand turn, I entered about 18th but quickly jumped to 15 as some guys went a bit too wide and was able to make a jump. Here I will also note that I was the first SS in.

Getting into the single track behind Jeff.
FB_IMG_1574527012946.jpg

I was in a good place, the lead group was solid, no one bobbled a turn or the first few punchy climbs, Jeff was in front of me and we had good flow. While in this paceline I felt a handlebar come up my right thigh in a desperate attempt to pass. It caught me off guard, he was on my right side with a tree coming up, in a loud authoritative voice I yelled don't do it, back off. Luckily for both of us he did, he darted around my left shortly thereafter. I recognized the person who passed me from registration earlier, he had a purple Kona with an orange fork, he was a tall young lanky lad of 15 who had a swagger and a bouncing head of hair to go with it. Later that day this kid (Carson Beard from VT) was on the top step of the podium in the pro class.

Suffering from the start but recovering on the downhill.
FB_IMG_1574637275685.jpg

At some point in the lap the turns became tighter, there were a lot of leaves on the trails but traction was ok. While Jeff was powerful in the less turny sections, I now found myself going slower than I wanted to. Jeff graciously let me pass him, he was racing solo and needed to pace himself, while I was going all out apeshit as a team duo. I managed to bridge up to another group of riders in the twisties, after some pleading, they let me pass. Guys at the front of a race are not quick to move over, they worked hard to get there but some were now feeling the results of their efforts.

Having done Cathedral 9 times, I knew the course we'll, where I could drill it I did, in the tighter turning sections I worked at maintaining flow. As I came through the end of the lap, I'd say I was 8th-10th. I crossed the finish, Brian went out to do his lap, it was now my turn to relax, chill and be ready to attack another lap.

Enjoying some CP flow.
FB_IMG_1574626717332.jpg

Brian was solid in his lap, and throughout the day. We each ended up doing the standard 4 laps as a team and where able to grab 2nd place The traction improved as more people rode the trails and the sandy soil became tacky. Nothing matched the intensity of the start, the first lap felt most race like which motivated me to do my best. I pushed on the other laps but also enjoyed the flow of these 10 mile trails, which are ideally suited for a SS.

This brings closure to my race season, which was activated with March Mayhem. While I did a couple CX races last year, I got more into it this year, better racing conditions made it more enjoyable, the two CX races I did last year were mudfests. It felt good to mix it up and try something different. At the end of the day landing on the podium is always nice but in reality it's small potatoes, at this level no one is making a living racing. The chance to compete, be with friends and the experiences I come away with are where I find enjoyment and the motivation to keep training and racing.

The podium at CP. Yayyy bikes!
FB_IMG_1574559840586.jpg

Back
Top Bottom