IGVENTURE

Hippo CX

The start of a race is a polite, quiet affair, with everyone sheepishly getting into position based on a call up, some guys have a swagger but most keep their head down anxiously awaiting the countdown. Feeling everyone else's tension puts me a bit at ease, knowing that they feel nervous too. I usually chit chat with whoever I'm next to, wishing them well but knowing that I'm going to go apeshit when we race.

Me telling the guys next to me don't come near me or I'll spear you with my flat bars, Pohndorf standing in the front unflappable.
Screenshot_20191006-131850.jpg

We go, immediately there is a scrum on the line with some yelling as guys are elbowing each other, I instinctively get my elbows out and bounce off of the guy on both sides of me, one of them is Victor who I'm friendly with. As we move forward the scrum breaks up and everyone keeps their wheels down, we're off.

After a series of twists and turns, I find myself in 5th place about a minute into the race. At the stairs I ride past a guy to get into 4th and get behind Fedor who is riding strong. We (2nd, 3rd, me in 4th place) finish out the lap together while the leader has 15 seconds on us.

Doing the full tilt boogie at the beginning of race, chasing down Fedor.
Screenshot_20191006-131010.png

The back section of the course has a series of climbs and then a long downhill with the occasional rock, there was also a gravel ride through section. Apparently the rocks caused a lot of flats in the race, I aired my tires a bit more before the start and fared ok.

On the series of climbs on lap 2, I was able to get around Fedor and put myself into 3rd place. For the remaining two laps I rode behind Rick who was in 2nd place, he set a solid pace and we pulled away from the field. As we pedalled up the climbs on lap 4 I saw Rick begin to fade, intuitively I jumped and got around him. Making that move motivated me to take it up a notch and make the pass stick, I bombed downhill and came around with 2 laps to go. Sitting in 2nd place, I kept the hammer down, getting glimpses of Rick on sections when the course turned on itself, I rode determined not to get caught.

My mouth was dry but the cool air kept me from getting too hot as I made my way around on the final lap. I had a gap on Rick and knew I just had to ride clean to keep 2nd place. I pushed where it was safe and eased up where a mistake could cost me. Riding toward the finish of the final lap felt good and I surprised myself with a podium, even the announcer was speechless, he had no idea who this SS mountain biker was.

Waiting for Rick at the finish we congratulated each other and Rick told me that I got 1st, Pohndorf flatted out. I stood there in a daze, but it all made sense since I recall seeing Mark walking his bike back during the race, at the time I didn't process the fact that Mark was the leader, having been so focused on staying ahead of Rick. Holy shit, I won??!!!

IMG_20191005_143025.jpg

I do have to bring up an encounter I had with a dandy fellow with 2 laps to go. As I was racing this guy walking his bike (I'll assume he flatted out) yells at me "you're always in the way, stay out of my way". I was taken aback by this and didn't know what to make of it, he yelled at me like we had some long standing history of bad blood, not knowing what to say I shouted back "This is my 2nd race". Thinking about it afterwards, I believe he was a Cat 3 guy who caught us during the race, but I don't recall any contact with him. The Cat 3 winner did brush up against me during an aggressive pass before a gate which he later apologized for. From time to time there is some contact in racing, especially in CX, it's a part of racing. Usually the guy who initiates contact comes back to apologize or not, if you race enough you just let it go. Well this guy would not let it go and I made no contact with him. By chance I saw him at the finish area and asked him if he's got a problem with me, because I honestly don't know what the issue was. He repeated his whiny yell that I was in his way and I should have gotten out of the way. The only thing I could surmise is that at some point he flatted and now he is directing his anger at me. Still amped up from my race I told him to eat me, and as he kept walking away I told him that his flat was Karma.

Despite that ugly encounter everything else about the race was awesome. Rick, who I was racing against reminded me a bit of Dave Kahl's (50+racer) personality, soft spoken, experienced racer and a gentleman, basically someone you can battle on a racecourse yet have good conversation with afterwards.

I happened to look at CX predictions, they had me pegged for 8th out of 12, lol. In a way, moving forward can be more difficult, no one expected much out of me, myself included. My plan is to take a few weeks off from CX and race HPCX in 3 weeks, by then I'll go back to not expecting much from myself and hopefully others will as well.

Last edited:
Holy sh*t @pooriggy! I'm sorry I missed this. Rick is a stone killer when he's racing. He WILL make sure you end up in the tape, even at Otto's. (Ask me how I know ;)) And Appletans was SECOND at Nats in Madison behind Steve Tilford! Neither are playing at this. As for the cat 3 hero, f*ck that guy, and well handled. Keep your elbows out and take your place on Murderer's Row. As for HPCX, you're a marked man. So you've got that to look forward to.

Despite that ugly encounter everything else about the race was awesome. Rick, who I was racing against reminded me a bit of Dave Kahl's (50+racer) personality, soft spoken, experienced racer and a gentleman, basically someone you can battle on a racecourse yet have good conversation with afterwards.

I happened to look at CX predictions, they had me pegged for 8th out of 12, lol. In a way, moving forward can be more difficult, no one expected much out of me, myself included. My plan is to take a few weeks off from CX and race HPCX in 3 weeks, by then I'll go back to not expecting much from myself and hopefully others will as well.

Glad to see you kicking ass out there and having a good time.

I ran into Dave Kahl up in VT this week and while taking to him was thinking "This guy is so nice and calm, how the fuck does he turn on race mode?"

Hippo CX

The start of a race is a polite, quiet affair, with everyone sheepishly getting into position based on a call up, some guys have a swagger but most keep their head down anxiously awaiting the countdown. Feeling everyone else's tension puts me a bit at ease, knowing that they feel nervous too. I usually chit chat with whoever I'm next to, wishing them well but knowing that I'm going to go apeshit when we race.

Me telling the guys next to me don't come near me or I'll spear you with my flat bars, Pohndorf standing in the front unflappable.
View attachment 107686

We go, immediately there is a scrum on the line with some yelling as guys are elbowing each other, I instinctively get my elbows out and bounce off of the guy on both sides of me, one of them is Victor who I'm friendly with. As we move forward the scrum breaks up and everyone keeps their wheels down, we're off.

After a series of twists and turns, I find myself in 5th place about a minute into the race. At the stairs I ride past a guy to get into 4th and get behind Fedor who is riding strong. We (2nd, 3rd, me in 4th place) finish out the lap together while the leader has 15 seconds on us.

View attachment 107687

The back section of the course has a series of climbs and then a long downhill with the occasional rock, there was also a gravel ride through section. Apparently the rocks caused a lot of flats in the race, I aired my tires a bit more before the start and fared ok.

On the series of climbs on lap 2, I was able to get around Fedor and put myself into 3rd place. For the remaining two laps I rode behind Rick who was in 2nd place, he set a solid pace and we pulled away from the field. As we pedalled up the climbs on lap 4 I saw Rick begin to fade, intuitively I jumped and got around him. Making that move motivated me to take it up a notch and make the pass stick, I bombed downhill and came around with 2 laps to go. Sitting in 2nd place, I kept the hammer down, getting glimpses of Rick on sections when the course turned on itself, I rode determined not to get caught.

My mouth was dry but the cool air kept me from getting too hot as I made my way around on the final lap. I had a gap on Rick and knew I just had to ride clean to keep 2nd place. I pushed where it was safe and eased up where a mistake could cost me. Riding toward the finish of the final lap felt good and I surprised myself with a podium, even the announcer was speechless, he had no idea who this SS mountain biker was.

Waiting for Rick at the finish we congratulated each other and Rick told me that I got 1st, Pohndorf flatted out. I stood there in a daze, but it all made sense since I recall seeing Mark walking his bike back during the race, at the time I didn't process the fact that Mark was the leader, having been so focused on staying ahead of Rick. Holy shit, I won??!!!

View attachment 107689

I do have to bring up an encounter I had with a dandy fellow with 2 laps to go. As I was racing this guy walking his bike (I'll assume he flatted out) yells at me "you're always in the way, stay out of my way". I was taken aback by this and didn't know what to make of it, he yelled at me like we had some long standing history of bad blood, not knowing what to say I shouted back "This is my 2nd race". Thinking about it afterwards, I believe he was a Cat 3 guy who caught us during the race, but I don't recall any contact with him. The Cat 3 winner did brush up against me during an aggressive pass before a gate which he later apologized for. From time to time there is some contact in racing, especially in CX, it's a part of racing. Usually the guy who initiates contact comes back to apologize or not, if you race enough you just let it go. Well this guy would not let it go and I made no contact with him. By chance I saw him at the finish area and asked him if he's got a problem with me, because I honestly don't know what the issue was. He repeated his whiny yell that I was in his way and I should have gotten out of the way. The only thing I could surmise is that at some point he flatted and now he is directing his anger at me. Still amped up from my race I told him to eat me, and as he kept walking away I told him that his flat was Karma.

I like the idea of the MTB guy showing up at a CX race with his flat bar SSer (that bike is super cool) and take the win. Next time you could wear a pair of baggy trail shorts and flannel shirt in order to up the upset factor even further!

Congrats!

Hippo CX

View attachment 107686

View attachment 107687

View attachment 107689

Nice work boo! Would you have done better on gears? Asking for a friend...

I ran into Dave Kahl up in VT this week and while taking to him was thinking "This guy is so nice and calm, how the fuck does he turn on race mode?"

His energy is well grounded and he uses 110% of it when he races.?

Nice work boo! Would you have done better on gears? Asking for a friend...
What's better then 1st place?

I can recall many years ago walking to HS and hearing the bell for school when I was still a block away. The panic sets in and in an instant you're snapped out of your tranquil world and now racing to get somewhere, such was the case Sunday while warming up on the HPCX course. At the top of the hill I heard that siren start and saw my 50+ class leave without me.

By the time I got down to the line and whipped my jacket off I was 2:30 back from the field. It's a shitty feeling but in a sense the pressure is off with regards to placing well, my only goal now becomes to do the best I can and call it a training race.

The first quarter of the course was lonely and spectator's where like, oh how cute, he's trying to race his mtb at a CX race. By the time I got to the basketball courts/tennis courts (HPCX landmarks) I finally encountered racers, which gave me motivation. The climb at the back of the course was lung searing, it came in stages until you reached the top and then it was a net downhill back to the finish with some barriers and turns along the way.

The big difference with this course compared to the previous two CX races I've done in the past several weeks is that this course was muddy, it's raining and there is no flow to it. What this means is that there are no recovery sections, it's all a slog, climbing, cornering, sliding, running, mashing, it doesn't feel like racing. Maybe my attitude would be different if I was near the front of the race, but I'm not, so it feels like more of a suck. My only motivation was seeing some racers in front of me on every lap and passing them, thank God for that.

Now this may sound like no Bikefest, and I'd have to agree that, leaving a warm cozy house on a Sunday to race in the rain isn't very appealing. Sitting around, watching football and drinking beers is what most folks do and what I do as well on occasion, -minus watching football, however, I feel the need to challenge myself regularly. Yeah it means skipping some drinking but it keeps me focused and balanced. The whole bike racing thing keeps me sharp, and pushes me to be more. Even though my results may have been mediocre yesterday, I'm still satisfied with myself.

As the laps went by, the course got sloppier in the rains, however the race went by fast and I completed my 5 laps in 45ish minutes. I ended up 11/18, I'm not going to do math and speculate on what might have been if I got to the line on time, I'll just save that for next Saturdays CX race.

Gratuitous muddy face pic.
MVIMG_20191027_122549.jpg

Aside from pushing myself to be more, I'm enjoying the group ride thing. Feeling connected to something as well as to others is important for all of us. It's what got me into cycling and it's what keeps me here. I have my cycling buddies, some old some new, if I can help others find cycling buddies it would make me happy. You never know when or how friendships develop, you put yourself out there and things happen organically. So put yourself out there, show up to group rides and see what happens.

This Saturday I race again and Sunday we ride Wildcat, join in if you can.
IMG_20191026_091604.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20191027_122549.jpg
    MVIMG_20191027_122549.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 166
I can recall many years ago walking to HS and hearing the bell for school when I was still a block away. The panic sets in and in an instant you're snapped out of your tranquil world and now racing to get somewhere, such was the case Sunday while warming up on the HPCX course. At the top of the hill I heard that siren start and saw my 50+ class leave without me.

By the time I got down to the line and whipped my jacket off I was 2:30 back from the field. It's a shitty feeling but in a sense the pressure is off with regards to placing well, my only goal now becomes to do the best I can and call it a training race.

The first quarter of the course was lonely and spectator's where like, oh how cute, he's trying to race his mtb at a CX race. By the time I got to the basketball courts/tennis courts (HPCX landmarks) I finally encountered racers, which gave me motivation. The climb at the back of the course was lung searing, it came in stages until you reached the top and then it was a net downhill back to the finish with some barriers and turns along the way.

The big difference with this course compared to the previous two CX races I've done in the past several weeks is that this course was muddy, it's raining and there is no flow to it. What this means is that there are no recovery sections, it's all a slog, climbing, cornering, sliding, running, mashing, it doesn't feel like racing. Maybe my attitude would be different if I was near the front of the race, but I'm not, so it feels like more of a suck. My only motivation was seeing some racers in front of me on every lap and passing them, thank God for that.

Now this may sound like no Bikefest, and I'd have to agree that, leaving a warm cozy house on a Sunday to race in the rain isn't very appealing. Sitting around, watching football and drinking beers is what most folks do and what I do as well on occasion, -minus watching football, however, I feel the need to challenge myself regularly. Yeah it means skipping some drinking but it keeps me focused and balanced. The whole bike racing thing keeps me sharp, and pushes me to be more. Even though my results may have been mediocre yesterday, I'm still satisfied with myself.

As the laps went by, the course got sloppier in the rains, however the race went by fast and I completed my 5 laps in 45ish minutes. I ended up 11/18, I'm not going to do math and speculate on what might have been if I got to the line on time, I'll just save that for next Saturdays CX race.

Gratuitous muddy face pic.
View attachment 109261

Aside from pushing myself to be more, I'm enjoying the group ride thing. Feeling connected to something as well as to others is important for all of us. It's what got me into cycling and it's what keeps me here. I have my cycling buddies, some old some new, if I can help others find cycling buddies it would make me happy. You never know when or how friendships develop, you put yourself out there and things happen organically. So put yourself out there, show up to group rides and see what happens.

This Saturday I race again and Sunday we ride Wildcat, join in if you can.
View attachment 109262
Nice work boo

There were thirty of us waiting to line up in the 50+ class on Saturday morning at Caffeinated CX. As I heard my name and number called up for the front row, I felt like I had arrived in a category of racing which is relatively new to me.

Being in the front row in a field this big definitely has an advantage and I did my best to hold onto my edge once the siren blew as we bolted uphill on a cinder road. At the top of the hill the road flattened out and so did my 32x18 gearing. Holding my spot in top 10 became more difficult as I spun as hard as I could, I began to bleed a few spots but held steady as we went into some turns. Coming out of the turns saw another flat straight section, more spinning out, then some barriers, turns, spinning out, through a barn, finally the woods section. The woods where my sweet spot however passing was near impossible, as it was tight and twisty and people don't move over in a CX race when you ask. It wasn't until the Belgium steps that I was able to ride past guys running up the wide hill, however this was short lived as they caught me on flat sections further up on the course.

Racing is like golf, the low number wins...+ Is bad, - good. This map of the course illustrates where I lost and gained time. In the highly competitive racing that CX is seconds/lap are crucial.

2013091457.png

The cat and mouse chase continued for 6 laps total, passing people, getting caught by the same people and so on. As the laps went on, some guys faded and some didn't, however there was always a battle. Despite suffering efforts the race seemed to elapse quickly. The first lap always seems the hardest, everything after that is a blur, hearing the One Lap to go Bell is always a welcome sound, if you have any match's left, this is when you burn them, if you cross the finish line not gasping for air, you did it wrong.

Justin warming up, me in my autumn sweater.
IMG_20191102_101942.jpg

My result was 9th/30, which I'm happy with. I always go back after the race (never before) and look at Race Predictions, they had me at 18 (ha, go fuck yourself). As pointed out, this course definitely revealed the limitations of a SS. For now, I'm not going to think too much about this, nor do anything about it, but I will admit that my thoughts are evolving as things become revealed to me.

Let me switch gears, Sunday I took out my non race geared suspension mtb and met up with everyone at Wildcat. The turnout for the ride was fantastic, these group rides are growing in popularity. I've been involved in organizing these rides for over 2 years, I think?, I can't say they are more popular because of X but rather we as a team are here and folks are finding us, which makes me happy. Joy, gets the word out on social media, which has taken root and has proven to be a big help. Also, we try to provide a flowing ride with a pace that suits it's riders, which means we break it down to smaller groups. Ride leaders are a big part of these events, without them the experience would not be as good.
The Wildcats
IMG_20191103_091307.jpg

There were thirty of us waiting to line up in the 50+ class on Saturday morning at Caffeinated CX. As I heard my name and number called up for the front row, I felt like I had arrived in a category of racing which is relatively new to me.

Being in the front row in a field this big definitely has an advantage and I did my best to hold onto my edge once the siren blew as we bolted uphill on a cinder road. At the top of the hill the road flattened out and so did my 32x18 gearing. Holding my spot in top 10 became more difficult as I spun as hard as I could, I began to bleed a few spots but held steady as we went into some turns. Coming out of the turns saw another flat straight section, more spinning out, then some barriers, turns, spinning out, through a barn, finally the woods section. The woods where my sweet spot however passing was near impossible, as it was tight and twisty and people don't move over in a CX race when you ask. It wasn't until the Belgium steps that I was able to ride past guys running up the wide hill, however this was short lived as they caught me on flat sections further up on the course.

Racing is like golf, the low number wins...+ Is bad, - good. This map of the course illustrates where I lost and gained time. In the highly competitive racing that CX is seconds/lap are crucial.

View attachment 109905

The cat and mouse chase continued for 6 laps total, passing people, getting caught by the same people and so on. As the laps went on, some guys faded and some didn't, however there was always a battle. Despite suffering efforts the race seemed to elapse quickly. The first lap always seems the hardest, everything after that is a blur, hearing the One Lap to go Bell is always a welcome sound, if you have any match's left, this is when you burn them, if you cross the finish line not gasping for air, you did it wrong.

Justin warming up, me in my autumn sweater.
View attachment 109906

My result was 9th/30, which I'm happy with. I always go back after the race (never before) and look at Race Predictions, they had me at 18 (ha, go fuck yourself). As pointed out, this course definitely revealed the limitations of a SS. For now, I'm not going to think too much about this, nor do anything about it, but I will admit that my thoughts are evolving as things become revealed to me.

Let me switch gears, Sunday I took out my non race geared suspension mtb and met up with everyone at Wildcat. The turnout for the ride was fantastic, these group rides are growing in popularity. I've been involved in organizing these rides for over 2 years, I think?, I can't say they are more popular because of X but rather we as a team are here and folks are finding us, which makes me happy. Joy, gets the word out on social media, which has taken root and has proven to be a big help. Also, we try to provide a flowing ride with a pace that suits it's riders, which means we break it down to smaller groups. Ride leaders are a big part of these events, without them the experience would not be as good.
The Wildcats
View attachment 109907
SS is always tricky. I find I sometimes run a spinnier gear at a fast place like fairhill(34/19) but a big masher gear at places like stewart(34/16). Someplace like cathedral one might think caters to a big gear but in reality all the twisty turny stuff wears you out. I have had most luck on a 34/19 there.

Great job with all the racing the year @pooriggy

After every CX race I have a tendency to say that was the hardest race I've done. Saturday was Supercross, a fitting name for an event that is legitimately one of the toughest courses around and here's why.

Located due East of Ringwood State Park on the campus of Rockland Community college, you can see the mountains of Harriman in the background on the large rolling campus. The scale of everything around me as I stood in the parking lot was big, the trees, the hills, the parking lots, the school…the 10 Porta John's lined in a row seemed dwarfed by their surroundings. My initial impression was that this is racing on a grand scale.

As I did a warm up lap with Justin, my impressions proved correct, the course was truly incredible. Conditions where dry, turns where sweeping, which required little need for breaking or hard cornering. The climbs where punchy and steep while others where steady and gradual, the other sides of climbs where roller coasters or easy downhills, in between flat sections pointed into the wind and there was an occasional woods section which was not very technical. This all amounted to the course being very pedal-eee, it was wide open, those with an abundance of power can go at it full throttle with no need to let up.

Supercross is part of the Vittoria series which is one of three race weekends, North Hampton MA was last weekend and Warwick RI is the first weekend in December. As the longest standing UCI race in the United States it attracts the fastest racers from the region as well as the bottom feeders like myself. This race jumped on my radar because Sean told me to do it, as one of my go to CX gurus I listen to him, needless to say it was every bit the epicness that he said it would be.

With an abundance of fast guys in my 50+ category, there was little surprise with my 3rd row call up. At the go we raced uphill to some sweeping turns, which were not that sweeping when you try and fit 34 racers through them at once, these moments were the only points in the race where I had to slow with intent, once we thinned out there was no need to grab a handful of break. In under 3 minutes I had completed the prologue section and came through the finish, which began a gradual climb to the barriers. These things require great effort, given the previous climbs, instead of a recovery spin you were faced with keeping the effort on 10 as you tried to dance yourself and bike over these hurdles. After my race I watched other racers come to these barriers and was amazed at the young kids who rode over these barriers like water flowing over rocks. Conversely I also saw racers biff them while running and end up on their ass.

Them Barriers.
F05341BD-D193-439A-B2DE-459D32A1BF96.jpeg

Following the barriers was an off camber gradual climb with good grip which led to a flat, turn, woods, rollers, more turns, another flat and finally THE CLIMB. During the warm up this climb did not feel that difficult however after non stop race pace with no recovery and now having to dig deep to make it to the top of a steep rise, it was the nail in the coffin on a course that was relentless. Some guys ran it, I rode it but barely, for my second lap I backed off a bit before the climb which left me open for attack but I made the time back up and over the climb.

My favorite part of the course was the final woods track, this is where I could recover with less pedalling and braking yet still hold pace. Unfortunately, this section was not long enough, before I knew it, I was back at the finish area grinding the gradual hill and finding myself blowing up from previous efforts. My heart rate would not come down, which left me feeling wasted, I could not attack so I had to go into damage control mode. Maybe I had trained too hard prior to this and was not as fresh as I could be or maybe the course was much harder than anything I had raced previously. The end result was me getting 17/34, while I felt like I did not have my best stuff, it was good enough given the abundance of regional talent as well as competing on a demanding classic CX course.

I'm a fan of the drops, get low, in tech and downhill, lay off the breaks ride it out and hold a tight line. The back wheel may slide a bit but that's ok.
11762D00-C14F-4541-9DE3-CD317DACB642.jpeg

So, after 5 CX races this year I'll compare Mtb racing to CX. If you poured 12oz. of mtb racing into a glass beaker and placed it over a CX Bunsen burner, you would boil off the technical bits and be left with 4 oz. of pure power. I've done well with mtb racing because that's what I do a lot, I have tech skills. With CX racing it's more about power and less so technical ability. Yes there is a finesse to handling a CX bike, those who have power and skills win the race. At this point going all in on power is new to me, CX is like a condensed form of mtb racing. Saturday was my last CX race of the season, next year I'll be back, hungry for some more. Having raced Road, MTB and CX, I'd say CX is the purest form of racing out there. There is no drafting and team tactics, technical riding ability is not highlighted so much, it's mainly about power and going head to head with the guy next to you, which always makes for great competition.

Over the summer I lined up with Dave Kahl and Eric Schlauch at Lewis Morris. I can't match Dave's power and usually loose to him in mtb races, Dave is a top 10 regional finisher in CX. Eric has much power, in the neighborhood of top 5 regional CX guy but not so much tech. I will add that both guys are great to race with and chat with post race.
FB_IMG_1574169103563.jpg

Back
Top Bottom