Ibis Ripmo AF vs Rocky Altitude vs Spesh Status 160

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The big note is this is for both Creek and trails. All will be in the budget category ($3k to $4k), so all alloy frames and lower NX to SLX level specs. I gave my son my downhill bike and my trail bike and so I'm hoping to grab an enduro bike for both uses.

The Ripmo AF seems like a no brainer but I'm not sure about the DVO suspension and I'm short (five six) and so the 29er isn't as ideal as the 27.5 hoops for me. The 150/160 travel is close to ideal.

Rocky has two bikes I can get in the months ahead -- the Altitude which is a bit big for trails with its Zeb fork and 170mm front end and the Instinct which seems small for Creek with its 140mm of rear travel. Neither seems ideal for me as a "one bike" solution.

And the almost cult-like Spesh Status which I love the idea of and is perfect with its no-nonsense 160mm at both ends and Code Rs for just $3k. But I know it won't pedal like the Ripmo and I'd rather get another brand than a Spesh.

I don't know of any other bikes in this category I can get locally in the next two months, so please don't throw out other options unless you know of a local shop with a small or medium in stock. But otherwise I welcome your input!

DW links mean extra frame material so they will always have extra weight plus I think the head angle is a little steep. Hate the big S mid range bikes, before you buy one look closely at the cranks. Just got done renting one in AZ and the cranks were 175mm mold cranks that were drilled for 170mm. Crank strikes everywhere and the seat tube angle was really slack so I had to move the seat all the way forward on the seat post to keep the front wheel down on steep climbs. The Rocky Mountain’s are nice bikes, the part spec is lacking in the low to mid range. My first recommendation would be a Transition Sentinel or Spire depending on how much you XC on the bike. Check Tenafly bicycle work shop, I have seen them there. Might look at a niner WFO , I think Alberts cycle in Westwood has those.

Thread '2021 Ripmo AF $2700.00' https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2021-ripmo-af-2700-00.53735/
Come take a look and see if it works for you, I've had my large ripmo at the parks. Nothing to be concerned with DVO, it's quality suspension and the boys at DVO will answer any call.
I'm often a size small but in the shop they sized me as a medium for the ripmo. But its probably worth considering. I'll message if it makes sense. Thx.

My first recommendation would be a Transition Sentinel or Spire depending on how much you XC on the bike. Check Tenafly bicycle work shop, I have seen them there. Might look at a niner WFO , I think Alberts cycle in Westwood has those.
That was my first thought (and I was literally at tenafly today) but only higher end bikes are available. Alloys will be a loooong wait. Sentinel, Scout or Patrol could all be good but again not available in my size and spec. The WFO isnt for me but I will probably call ww and make sure there isn't a reign or evo comp alloy available. Thx

Last edited:
This bike comes to mind. In central NJ we don’t sell than many of the 153s but I have sold a bunch of the 134.

If it’s a all interesting to you I have some friends at Kona

For what it’s worth I’d rather shimano at this price point than sram.

J

I'm often a size small but in the shop they sized me as a medium for the ripmo. But its probably worth considering. I'll message if it makes sense. Thx.
You maybe like I am except im between a large an medium. I could of went medium on my ripmo and been probably happy, especially at the parks.

If you're willing to expand (I mean really expand) your search I would suggest Nukeproof Mega. It comes in 29er and 27.5 versions. I had the 29er and medium and I'm only 5'7" and it did well at the Creek and was able to zip it around just fine like at Stephens and Hartshorne. You'll have to order it from Chainreactioncycles from the UK but I've order bikes, frames, wheelsets, and other stuff from them and they're pretty good. They currently have all sizes in stock (27.5) and the price is right between your budget at around $3500.

IMG_20211011_130116185_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211011_134323506.jpg

Last edited:
I guess the question is, are you planning more days on the trails or more days on the lifts? RIPMO is a solid choice and you can always rent a DH bike if you’re at a park where more travels is warranted. IMO pedaling around a pig on the trails takes away from the fun.

I guess the question is, are you planning more days on the trails or more days on the lifts? RIPMO is a solid choice and you can always rent a DH bike if you’re at a park where more travels is warranted. IMO pedaling around a pig on the trails takes away from the fun.
I have a season pass so no renting. But yeah the goal is to find that balance. My first year at creek i rode my 150mm stumpjumper and it was okay but not quite enough. I think 150 rear / 160-165 front with a strong and beefy fork and frame would be ideal. Ripmo pretty ideal. Going to call around some shops tomorrow as well.

Ripmo af is a really solid choice . The dvo suspension will be heads and shoulders better than entry or mid level fox or rs stuff .

Ripmo af is a really solid choice . The dvo suspension will be heads and shoulders better than entry or mid level fox or rs stuff .
Great to hear thanks. I know very little about them. Or realistically about suspension in general really 😁

Ripmo AF all the way. Demo one if you have any doubts. The DVO suspension is solid, my Onyx fork feels as good as the Fox factory stuff, the OTT adjustment won me over the other forks because it negates the need for tokens. I don’t see how you can call a 65 degree head angle steep on a trail bike, but extending the Onyx out to 170mm is an easy adjustment and slackens the head out a touch.

Ripmo sounds like a good choice. Maybe give belmar bikes a call, they often have them in stock.
The 150-160 bikes are amazing these days. I have a yeti sb130 and I would be fine if it was my only mountain bike. It can handle dh and somehow it doesn’t suck at allaire either.

What size do you need? I may know someone who may be selling his Ripmo AF when his new bike comes in.

Back
Top Bottom