I tried flat pedals yesterday

I think the new found enthusiasm for flats is that people are no longer shamed in to thinking they need to ride clips to be thought of as a proficient rider.

I've found it the opposite. Those who ride flats seem to feel like they have to come up with reasons why they're better.

Personally, I don't get it... I'll run either depending on my mood, although I usually run clips - mostly out of habit. Although right now that's partly because I have no idea where my flat pedals are... :confused:

I've found it the opposite. Those who ride flats seem to feel like they have to come up with reasons why they're better.

Yea... well duh. Why would someone continue using something they feel isn't better? Your comment could be made exactly the same for people using clipless pedals.

The truth.. there is NO best or Better pedal system for everyone. There is just best for each person. Some people will think that best means they have ultimate freedom to put a foot down whenever they see fit, while others will think best for them means they're more connected to the bike, giving extra ways to move and manipulate the bike.... different horses for different courses and such.

Can someone please explain to me how my riding is going to improve by learning to ride flats? Is my technique shit? Sure, I’ll own that. Do I have issues riding rocks? No, not really. Do I ride super gnarly stuff? No, do I want to? Not particularly. So seriously, if I lift the rear (or the damn whole bike for that matter) by the clips instead of “the wedge” technique what possible differences does it make? The only thing I can see is it forces the arms to be more than passengers. Ok, so... use your arms. Again, I have zero fear of wrecking because I can’t get unclipped. I am however petrified of being bounced off my pedals unexpectedly.... cuz if I’m gonna get hurt, that’s how it’s gonna happen.

I am however petrified of being bounced off my pedals unexpectedly.... cuz if I’m gonna get hurt, that’s how it’s gonna happen.
I have discovered that I will sit on the saddle less with flats and have yet to be bounced off. Getting off the saddle is important either way as it lowers your center of gravity and puts the weight lower where it belongs. I'm only posting my experiences because there might be someone else with foot issues that has yet to discover an alternative.

Can someone please explain to me how my riding is going to improve by learning to ride flats? Is my technique shit? Sure, I’ll own that. Do I have issues riding rocks? No, not really. Do I ride super gnarly stuff? No, do I want to? Not particularly. So seriously, if I lift the rear (or the damn whole bike for that matter) by the clips instead of “the wedge” technique what possible differences does it make? The only thing I can see is it forces the arms to be more than passengers. Ok, so... use your arms. Again, I have zero fear of wrecking because I can’t get unclipped. I am however petrified of being bounced off my pedals unexpectedly.... cuz if I’m gonna get hurt, that’s how it’s gonna happen.
In theory, your skills will be "better" if you ride flats. BTW, the "wedge" is stupid and I have a hard time teaching that to the NICA kids. How 'bout we just keep trying to bunny hop until you figure it out? I sure as shit ain't be teaching my son to do the wedge. Some things are just better off not explaining.

I don't know how you hop personally, but it looks a lot better if you are lifting the front wheel first and not the fabled "both wheels come off the ground at the same time" or the dreaded front wheel is lower than rear on a hop (when nosing in is not the intention). I was terrified when one of the kids got clips and would try and hop logs and kept hitting his front wheel on the log, which is obviously a recipe for disaster. Lifting the front wheel first leads to much better control of where the air time will take you and my entire log style (jap tap) is based on front wheel accuracy.

The only place I really see flats as an advantage is with manualing as you have further flexibility of adjusting your position while manualing since you can move you feet around. But again, how often are people really manualing around on the trails. Also, with confidence in uber gnar / more trials geared type stuff where you dab to keep from falling off some big rock.

I have discovered that I will sit on the saddle less with flats and have yet to be bounced off. Getting off the saddle is important either way as it lowers your center of gravity and puts the weight lower where it belongs. I'm only posting my experiences because there might be someone else with foot issues that has yet to discover an alternative.

The standing part I totally get, but I started doing that with the downhill experiment (clipped) and carry that now to the trail as often as prudent.

In theory, your skills will be "better" if you ride flats. BTW, the "wedge" is stupid and I have a hard time teaching that to the NICA kids. How 'bout we just keep trying to bunny hop until you figure it out? I sure as shit ain't be teaching my son to do the wedge. Some things are just better off not explaining.

I don't know how you hop personally, but it looks a lot better if you are lifting the front wheel first and not the fabled "both wheels come off the ground at the same time" or the dreaded front wheel is lower than rear on a hop (when nosing in is not the intention). I was terrified when one of the kids got clips and would try and hop logs and kept hitting his front wheel on the log, which is obviously a recipe for disaster. Lifting the front wheel first leads to much better control of where the air time will take you and my entire log style (jap tap) is based on front wheel accuracy.

The only place I really see flats as an advantage is with manualing as you have further flexibility of adjusting your position while manualing since you can move you feet around. But again, how often are people really manualing around on the trails. Also, with confidence in uber gnar / more trials geared type stuff where you dab to keep from falling off some big rock.

Yeah, level lift into the face of the log is definitely a recipe for disaster. I can’t manual to save my life in the parking lot or putz’n around on the trail but magically, I never have an issue getting the front wheel over (or on top) of the obstacle on the trail. Can’t explain how....just happens naturally. I then throw the bike over with my arms while lifting the rear with a little hop-n-pull on the clips. I’ll never be mistaken for a trials rider...but 18-24” inch logs and rocks are as big as I’ll need to clear at speed so I get by. :)

The things I'll hit on the Trials VS Trail bike are significantly different. On a Trials bike with flat pedals I don't think twice dropping 5+ feet or hopping onto picnic tables, etc. Yet clipped in on the MTB I'll struggle with anything bigger than wheel size. I don't think it's a clip vs flat issue all together but I definitely feel 1,000 times more confident with flats and no seat.

Pedals came in..I'm riding them at Hartshorn tomorrow, I'll let you know how they felt. I did ride six mile today in an old worn out and broken set of flats that Knobbyhead aka Bob, loaned me for Chimney Rock last week, and must say I did surprisingly well. One or two Oh shit moments, but that's expected.

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_142123.jpg
    IMG_20181031_142123.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20181031_142108.jpg
    IMG_20181031_142108.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20181031_163122.jpg
    IMG_20181031_163122.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 87
Pedals came in..I'm riding them at Hartshorn tomorrow, I'll let you know how they felt. I did ride six mile today in an old worn out and broken set of flats that Knobbyhead aka Bob, loaned me for Chimney Rock last week, and must say I did surprisingly well. One or two Oh shit moments, but that's expected.
what's the dimensions on them? they look huge

Back
Top Bottom