I tried flat pedals yesterday

Dajerseyrat

So for the first time in my mountain biking life, I tried flat pedals yesterday. Since day one I always have been secured to my pedals in some fashion, be it the old school cage style to clips, or the clipless set up Im used to riding. Im comfortable on clipless pedals and have been proficient with them for quite a while now, however where I see me needing flats is in some of the more rocky and technical terrain where I need to get a food down really fast and not have to worry about unclipping in time. I feel my confidence would be higher on some of the more rocky terrain and I would try more challenging lines.

I borrowed a set of flat pedals from a buddy and wore a pair of Vans sneakers I had, as we rode Chimney Rock yesterday. Im unsure if I liked the feel of being on flats or not. I can say there were times on yesterday's ride where I wished I had my clipless set up and there were other times I was greatful I was on flats. I felt more confident and comfortable attempting some steeper rock climbs, but going over log roll overs or coming down hill I seemed to lose my place on the pedals a bit. It was a love hate relationship with the new found freedom. I am going to try them again on some different terrain, but I cant make a decision yet if I will be investing in a pair of flats and 510 shoes just yet..

Supermoto

It takes a while to get used to flats and learn the proper technique. First time I tried them, I hated them. But decide to stick with them for a month to see if I could make them work. And now I think they are great.

Dajerseyrat

It takes a while to get used to flats and learn the proper technique. First time I tried them, I hated them. But decide to stick with them for a month to see if I could make them work. And now I think they are great.
I didnt hate them, I just felt kind of naked, as if I left my house without my cell phone.. I can see where I would want flats in certain terrain. I did notice a ton more pedal strikes yesterday, dont know if that was just Chimney Rock.

I felt they kinda slowed me up on the climbs however.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Flats will make you a better rider, if you've never ridden flats before. I come from the time when we spent our summers cruising around on BMX bikes, stealing lumber from building sites to build ramps, and doing generally stupid shit on a bike (not unlike today). A lot of newer riders have never had the pleasure, so its good to try flats out. I've experienced flats, no suspension, and primitive geometry. I have my clip-less and full suspension now and ain't never going back. Having said that, I occasionally put the flats on to keep my chops up.

qclabrat

I didnt hate them, I just felt kind of naked, as if I left my house without my cell phone.. I can see where I would want flats in certain terrain. I did notice a ton more pedal strikes yesterday, dont know if that was just Chimney Rock.

I felt they kinda slowed me up on the climbs however.
don't forget the shin strikes...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I am of the thought that you need more skills to be on flat to be a proficient rider where as with clips, you can just spin your legs off. With flats, don't you have to think about angle of your feet? I am talking about technical terrain here. I don't know... which one would require a higher learning curve?

rick81721

Lothar
I am of the thought that you need more skills to be on flat to be a proficient rider where as with clips, you can just spin your legs off. With flats, don't you have to think about angle of your feet? I am talking about technical terrain here. I don't know... which one would require a higher learning curve?

Nah, don't have to think about foot angle. Just pedal. Helps to have thin, light pedals with good spikes and 5ten shoes for grip.

one piece crank

Give me flats all day long, I too spent my youth on them. Actually, except for toe clips from 1987-1992, I've ridden them exclusively. I tried spuds in the early 90's - not for me. Don't over-think flats, they're just pedals. I don't ever think about them, how my foot is positioned or if I have to change position - I just ride and all that happens in the background.

Give yourself some time. If you really can't mesh with flats, drop your seat little to increase your foot/pedal interface - that's what flats are all about.

one piece crank

If you put a ruler across your pedal and the center is equal/above the outer periphery (where the studs are), get different pedals. Good pedals are not flat, they are concave. Spikes/studs are secondary.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I’ll echo what’s being said already - your experience with flats will dramatically change with 5.10 shoes. I’ve been on flats for years on the mountain bike but wear clips on my road bikes.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Ran flats with 510's at Creek a month ago after riding trails on clips for the better part of 2 years.
Feet would come off the pedals and that was a very unsettling feeling.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i realized how bad my form was and how often i relied on being clipped in when i finally switched to flats. i still ride clipless but i prefer the flats. i think i've gotten better because of it.

serviceguy

Lets be realistic here....it was Allaire gnar that got him, not the pedals. ;)

On a personal note, I switched to flats and 510 shoes and won't go back.

When I was younger I used clipless (Ritchey) and loved them. Fast forward 20 years I assumed I would be able to clip right back in them, then I went for my first ride using flats and regular snikers (no bueno) which made me realize that if I had gone clipless I would have pushed the bike a lot more (muscles memory+mass loss). I have a pair of Giro Jacket and I am impressed by how the rubber sticks to the pins, it's unreal. I will move back to clipless eventually, but it's a great option for a quick bail out.

Top Bottom