I think i fell in love with DH and have ?

Ibike

Went to diablo for the first time last sun and had such an awesome time even riding my hardtail rm and blowing out my junk rock shok dart 2. Anyway whats the difference between a freeride and dh bike? travel? more gears? and where should i look for a decent dh bike? What brand/model do you recomend? Def loved the tabletops up top cleared most of them and the alpine trail down below.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
DH BIKE: Slacker headtube angle and lower bottom bracket.

Freeride bike: Shorter wheelbase, steeper headtube angle, higher bottom bracket.

A DH bike is faster at high speeds but can corner well due to lower BB, the downside is steering at very slow speeds and banging the pedal on eveything you can imagine.

A freeride bike steers well at slow speeds and is easier to manage in the air, unfortunatly they dont corner very well but the high BB keeps your pedals outta the rocks.

Most bikes that are marketed for FR and DH will suit your porpousess, there are only two I dont recomend: The freakish BigHits w/ 24" rear wheel, and Mongoss.

don

Titusville? Is that in PA and home of Kris Bennet? There was a hysterical interview on him in Props Video Mag years ago and he was making fun of the redneck that were hassling him in town.

FFT is spot on. Any decent FR/DH rig will give do you well at Diablo. BTW, congrats on shreding that place w/ a HT and a Dart. That's a little on the nutty side :) I think you'll be blown away when your ride that place with a proper bike.

I'd keep a look out for used bikes. Used FR and DH bikes are usually a really good buy for the money. Guys will typcially sell them not out of lack of love but for lack of time to ride them.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Titusville? Is that in PA and home of Kris Bennet? There was a hysterical interview on him in Props Video Mag years ago and he was making fun of the redneck that were hassling him in town.
Titusville is what most people call Washington Crossing, the jersey side right by the river.

sixseven

was it packed last weekend when you went?
I went Saturday. Good amount of people there but the lift line is fast and the place is big enough that the runs never felt crowded. It was a race weekend so a lot of people were pre riding the course.

Ibike

Correct Titusville is in NJ about a min from the washington crossing bridge and park. It was pretty funny felt pretty out of place with my hardtail, camelback and xc helmet but still loved every min. I'm looking for a used giant glory any pros or cons with that rig? Is a dh bike wieght vs. my about 30lb xc bike wieght gonna be a big challenge to bet used to there?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Most bikes that are marketed for FR and DH will suit your porpousess, there are only two I dont recomend: The freakish BigHits w/ 24" rear wheel, and Mongoss.
awesome quick writeup FT. but why not mongoose? those ECs or whatever they're called now seemed really well spec'd for the $$. No good?

don

jesus. i'm amazed EC has stayed with them if that's the case. and didn't romaniak sign with them recently? guess its just about the money (or they don't know).

A few things - EC is so damn smooth, he's has to be much easier on components than most. And my guess is he is riding custom built "proto" frames. If they are actually production, they can easily switch them out after every few rides.

F

Fourtyfell

I looked at that link that you posted with the kid with his 3rd mongoose frame. Frankly, that sucks. But i know for a while the fisher hi/fi's were breaking, so i cant really say that the company sucks persay. But look at the design on that bike, they cant honestly expect that weld to hold can they ?

Good to hear that Mongoose stands behind it, but i wouldnt buy one..

My friend has an iron horse, and loves it. maybe you should look into that ? Thing is a beast, he rides off his roof with it (idiot).

ray

Edit: While i stood back and thought about this, The whole EC proto frames really isnt far off, and im sure the same is with romaniak. Its kindoff like with artists playing guitars, You may buy an artist model but you will never get the quality that they themselves play.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
A second thought on that frame snap on Phantom........had that failure occured at RTN, the dude wouldnt have needed a new frame.............

NJMX835

I've never ridden one, but everyone I've talked to who rides an EC-D, swears by them.

The price sure is right on them too, especially for the parts spec you get.

don

ECD only stands for one thing in these parts....

EAST COAST DESTRUCTION!!!!!

attachment.php

haha!

Attachments

• 584573789_m.gif
    584573789_m.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 232

TTPjake

ironhorse

hey. im new to FR/DH riding, need to upgrade from my hardtail felt Q620 (great bike for the money-im surprised at the ammount of abuse it took). i was looking into getting an ironhorse yakuza. i heard they are good beginner FR bikes. found a 06 aniki dirt cheap online ($499). any thoughts/opinions on that bike? any good? or should i go for a better/more expensive bike?:confused:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
hey. im new to FR/DH riding, need to upgrade from my hardtail felt Q620 (great bike for the money-im surprised at the ammount of abuse it took). i was looking into getting an ironhorse yakuza. i heard they are good beginner FR bikes. found a 06 aniki dirt cheap online ($499). any thoughts/opinions on that bike? any good? or should i go for a better/more expensive bike?:confused:

Lokks like a good deal but there are better ones to be found.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Find a Yakuza Kumicho instead, even used. The Aniki is a much lower quality bike and not really cut out for serious DH/freeriding.

Top Bottom