I love America and Americans but the "American Dream" died...for the most part.

Just not equal opportunity. I'm not sure what the answer is, but some kid growing up in the projects does not have the same opportunity as any of our kids.
was going to lurk, but have some perspective as that was me, we were on the waitlist for the Columbia projects, which were a big step up from our one bedroom, rat infested apt.
My parents made it their number one goal to get us out of there. In the 80s, they purchased probably the cheapest house in Fanwood, this was during ridiculous interest rates so they really struggled to make payments, but never missed one. yeah, times are different, but its still the same formula. Set your goals, get disciplined, don't make excuses.

That article was a nice story, it basically simplifies our economy to tell a story he wants to believe...and many like him want to believe.

There is still opportunity for those willing to work harder. Currently we have a contractor rebuilding features out on the golf course I work at. I've never seen people bust ass like the spanish speaking crew who work in the rain and snow, rushing like ants to complete a job. I could only imagine this is how hard the Irish and Italian immigrants must have worked when they came over and helped build this country.

To be honest I almost feel ashamed of my work ethic compared to the way these guys work. I'll put in my 8 hrs, not kill myself, take time off, go ride my bike... meanwhile that crew(7guys) is working 7 days a week, laying as much as 18 pallets of sod in a day.

They are making a better life for themselves and there children, it's a hard life but there children will benefit, as we have benefited from our fathers(and mother's.)

That's my story, it's anecdotal, kinda like yours. This country and economy is hard to define in just one story, it's different things to different people. I will say that our country is still highly sought after as there are still lots of people who want to come here...and those that "want to leave" but never do.
😀
Yea, but the spanish guys ain’t makin shit for $

Yea, but the spanish guys ain’t makin shit for $

What are you talking about?!?! Spanish as in people from Spain or people that speak Spanish?

Ive promoted and seen more hispanics raise the bar for themselves than you know! Shit, to do so, i learned their language in the field and am fluent. My man Victor is building his business off the work im giving him- no bidding no comp no nothing. I saw in him that he wanted it. And i dont question his rates at all. If you think for one second that people taking tge highest risk with the most debt are just gojng to give it away, you need to revisit your economic class. So to talk in general like that is ignorant.

Last edited:
Y'all funny, the demographics of mountain biking is middle class.
Middle class is a mindset. You can choice to be one for the people or one of the people. I choose the latter.

Nothing funnier than people speaking for a culture they never take the time to be a part of or actually support. Instead they live in a homogeneous bubble.

Last edited:

Hate me for wanting a better life, unless your last name is corp it's not getting any easier for you here. Hard work doesn't mean much anymore and getting punished for doing a good job is in the realm of possibility.

Wish I could see a brighter future for myself here but the political tide isn't in a direction I like. Regardless of my financial improvement, I'll continue to succeed in spit of the deck.

Sorta on topic. My wife just got off the phone with her 93 year old aunt. Reminiscing how in the late 50's her and her husband drove out from Brooklyn to the Hamptons for the day. Saw a price of land they liked so gave the owner a $10 deposit for 1/2 and acre. Cost was about $3000 + another $30k a few years later to build the house.

This thread is gonna be fun to watch until it gets shut down.

Personally, I've no solution to the fact that a single income family is becoming more and more rare. If I could do it all over again, I'd go into the trades and try to start a business. But I chose to be a corporate cog instead. The economy is getting rougher and rougher for us as corporate greed continues to grow rampant. The writer isn't wrong, bad things could happen if things continue in this direction.

Sorta on topic. My wife just got off the phone with her 93 year old aunt. Reminiscing how in the late 50's her and her husband drove out from Brooklyn to the Hamptons for the day. Saw a price of land they liked so gave the owner a $10 deposit for 1/2 and acre. Cost was about $3000 + another $30k a few years later to build the house.
But thats not 1900. Nothing has ever happened between 1900 and now. You are only allowed to use 1900 when comparing to now. Lol.

Home prices are 50% higher today compared to the 50s, when adjusted for inflation:

https://dqydj.com/historical-home-prices/

Back
Top Bottom