*hunting 07/08

anrothar

entirely thrilled
hunting dates for all areas that fall into ZONE 3.
map of zones here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/images/dmzmap.jpg

hunting in some parks may be limited to specific days, check the links at the bottom for more info.

hunting is permitted 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset for deer. some trapping and small game hunting is permitted after dark.
there is NO deer or turkey hunting on sundays.

*law enforcement for hunting related offenses in this area: 908-735-8240

DEER: hunters required to wear safety orange.

Fall Bow (24-days): September 29 - October 26, 2007
Permit Bow (25-days): October 27 - November 24, 2007
Youth Day - Bow (1-day): September 22, 2007
Youth Day - Firearm (1-day): November 17, 2007
Permit Muzzleloader (21-days): November 26, 27; December 10, 11, 15 - 24, 26 - 31, 2007; and January 1 - 4, 2008
Six-day Firearm (6-days): December 3 - 8, 2007
Permit Shotgun Season (1-day): December 12, 2007
Winter Bow (27-days): January 1 - 31, 2008

TURKEY: hunters NOT required to wear safety orange, may be camoflauged.

Fall Turkey Season: There is one Hunting Period for the Fall Season.
Permits are Hunting Area specific (i.e., 5N, 8N, etc.).
N . Monday, October 29–Saturday,
November 3, 2007
2008:
Saturday, April 12, 2008 - Friday, May 23, 2008(no hunting on sundays)

deer dates for all zones: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2007/regsets07-08.pdf

2007 wild turkey hunting info:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2007/turkey07.pdf

list of all public use areas with permitted hunting: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/huntland.htm

all information needed can be found here:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/index.htm

bozizle

Ugh

So Sunday I am riding along and almost jumped off my bike when 3 older guys were standing and inch from the trail in all their camo and bows. The part that pissed me off was they didn't say a word (well I guess they were hunting) but standing across the trail as if they saw a turkey they would be firing across the trail!!? There are some serious "good ol' boys" up in this area and it's creepy when you come across them...though not as creepy when you pass a family hunting and the little kids have their guns for hunting squirrels....I will never undersdtand it.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
they are not allowed to shoot or loose(arrows) across established trails(doubletrack mainly), and are not allowed to hunt in any way shape or form on sunday on public lands. if you're uncomfortable confronting them, get out of earshot and call the park police or game wardens.

So Sunday I am riding along and almost jumped off my bike when 3 older guys were standing and inch from the trail in all their camo and bows. The part that pissed me off was they didn't say a word (well I guess they were hunting) but standing across the trail as if they saw a turkey they would be firing across the trail!!? There are some serious "good ol' boys" up in this area and it's creepy when you come across them...though not as creepy when you pass a family hunting and the little kids have their guns for hunting squirrels....I will never undersdtand it.

Sean is 100% correct, no hunting on Sunday with gun or bow, ever ever ever, even on your own private land. You can demand to see their hunting licenses and take down the numbers to report them to the game warden, if you feel OK confronting them. Licenses are supposed to be displayed ALL THE TIME and be visible to everyone. If you see no licenses hanging from their hats or jackets, report the illegal activity to the game warden. If this is a big problem in your area, you might want to keep the number of your local warden handy in your cell phone, so you can call on the spot if necessary.

This kind of stuff (hunting on sunday or w/o a license) pisses me off. However you feel about hunting, it is still legal in NJ and I want it kept that way. When I hear about people abusing the privilege, it drives me nuts because it threatens the future of this past time. It's stoopid. Just stoopid. Report them and hope for the best, for your safety and to ensure everyone can keep enjoying the woods the way they want to within the legal limitations.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I would be uncomfortable confronting them if I don't have a gun too, but wait, I guess I could give 'em the good old PILEDRIVER :D :getsome:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would be uncomfortable confronting them if I don't have a gun too, but wait, I guess I could give 'em the good old PILEDRIVER :D :getsome:

F'in A man. Just put the ring leader in a half-nelson and before long the rest of the tag team will turn coat and be in your corner. Then you can hit him on the head with a folding chair.

bozizle

Thanks

Eventhough it was posted I never read the no hunting on Sunday line...anyways I will make sure next time to stop and ask why they are there on a Sunday....bad enough the state is pushing the bear hunt issue again

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Given that the flock of 45 million deer eat everything that anyone plants in this state, I really think we should focus on culling the deer before the bear. Just one idiot's opinion.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions