How the hell are we supposed to retire?

Just got my HSA debit card/account...I can't invest the money until it hits a certain threshold (about 7 pay periods, 3.5 months). Not the end of the world, it'll sit there as pre-tax cash until then.

A few factors probably.
A view on rates.
Liabilities coming due.
Other funding vehicles.
Some other stuff?

i can see their view on rates - def a factor.

so they are incenting for their money needs, and not risking any longer?

Here's an example of why the S&P 500 is not a good proxy for the "market".
I own Bunge. It is a $90 stock that makes food, and pays a 2.72% dividend. Nothing to get excited over. I bought it for $87. However, you own it too, if you have a S&P 500 fund.
When Silicon Valley Bank went under, the Dow corporation kicked it out of the S&P 500, and substituted Bunge. This created a non-business driven demand for Bunge shares, as every fund that mimics the S&P 500 had to buy Bunge at the same time. This drove the price of Bunge up to $104, as there was suddenly more demand, but not more supply of shares.
The price of Bunge is back to $92, as there was no economic reason to buy the stock, and the inflated stock price was temporary, due to temporary demand. S&P 500 fund owners start with a 11.5% loss on a stock the fund just acquired, because it had no business reason to acquire it.

Here's an example of why the S&P 500 is not a good proxy for the "market".
I own Bunge. It is a $90 stock that makes food, and pays a 2.72% dividend. Nothing to get excited over. I bought it for $87. However, you own it too, if you have a S&P 500 fund.
When Silicon Valley Bank went under, the Dow corporation kicked it out of the S&P 500, and substituted Bunge. This created a non-business driven demand for Bunge shares, as every fund that mimics the S&P 500 had to buy Bunge at the same time. This drove the price of Bunge up to $104, as there was suddenly more demand, but not more supply of shares.
The price of Bunge is back to $92, as there was no economic reason to buy the stock, and the inflated stock price was temporary, due to temporary demand. S&P 500 fund owners start with a 11.5% loss on a stock the fund just acquired, because it had no business reason to acquire it.
TSLA is the stock to really point to with S&P stock selection being idiotic.

BRK wasn't included for decades.

Someone needs to make an S&P 501->600 fund. :)

Back
Top Bottom