High Mountain Conditions

liong71er

I think I have been hearing of more bear sightings at HM this year than the previous few.
No worries they just passing through I believe they are not residents
Hi guys - saw two rather large black bears this morning just past the junction of red and white after finishing up on Secret. No trouble, just checking me out, but they didn't really run off either.
I guess they are pair
I saw only one,about 8yrs ago near yellow and Orange trail

I believe they are not residents of HM
Probably en-route to somewhere (Ramapo)

qclabrat

I guess they are pair

hmm, pairs may mean one might have a cub next Winter/Spring
220 day gestation period

Bears don't usually bother people unless protecting young or super hungry
Ride with @C8N, he's wounded and the pair will pickup on that...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I guess they are pair

You are probably right but it does worry me that these guys did not run away.
The bear I ran into last year or the year before, did not run either. It actually took couple of steps towards me before I booked it out of there.

BillyGoatBiker

I rode yesterday, a rider I bumped into told me they spotted two bears about halfway up Hawk, sounds like the same ones, they said the same thing, that they did not run off or seem phased at all by presence of people.

roc

If you hit all the singletrack at high mountain, about how many miles do you think it would be? And if you were going to try it from the circle at the top of reservoir, what would your route be?

Berms&Boofs

If you hit all the singletrack at high mountain, about how many miles do you think it would be? And if you were going to try it from the circle at the top of reservoir, what would your route be?
Probably 25-30 miles/3-4K in elevation gain. I've never seen anyone hit all the goods in one ride. Good luck!

Last edited:

roc

Probably 25-30 miles/3-4K in elevation gain. I've never seen anyone hit all the goods in one ride. Good luck!
I didn’t realize it was that much. I was thinking more like 12-15, I was way off, I can’t do thirty miles of patriots path, no way I’m doing anywhere near thirty in one ride at high mountain. That is an amazing number of new miles of single track in what, 5 years? When did people start building the single track at high mountain?

Mtbdog

Just got back from twisty deer, Indians, wolf loop. when did you go, must have just missed you. I parked at coll. lot so I could do glass, junkyard.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Just got back from twisty deer, Indians, wolf loop. when did you go, must have just missed you. I parked at coll. lot so I could do glass, junkyard.
I started at 8 and ended right befire 10.
I also parked at the college lot. Rode with another Wayne rider.

BillyGoatBiker

I rode HM on saturday 10/20, someone was firing a shotgun repeatedly, sounded like it was coming from the white trail down in the ravine, possibly near the golf course. Could have been someone taking pop shots, maybe deer hunting.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was able to sneak out mid-day today to ride with @roc. First time here and had a blast. It's parks like HM that I can clearly feel the difference of Ti compared to Aluminum.

Trails were in perfect shape. Leaf coverage, but that's normal for this time of year.

Thanks Rob for the tour!!!

roc

Was able to sneak out mid-day today to ride with @roc. First time here and had a blast. It's parks like HM that I can clearly feel the difference of Ti compared to Aluminum.

Trails were in perfect shape. Leaf coverage, but that's normal for this time of year.

Thanks Rob for the tour!!!
Anytime! Fun ride!! Perfect weather. A big thanks to all the people making those trails!

roc

What trails did you enjoy?
We started at the circle and went up circle switch to camels hump to sky top to the lookout, down the switchbacks to deer pen trail to the wolf loop, somehow we did that twice. Indians loop to twist deer path, then back to Indians to yellow to circle switch and out. I’m tired!!!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions