Hello! New to MTB.

Welcome. There is another trail system in Bergen county Boy Scout camp near Alpine. I am not sure if biking is allowed there. Maybe someone here can comment as I would like to check it out. I recommend staying off road on the saddle River trail. I ride it at least once during the work week. Glad to show you guys around in case you missed some of the sections.

Welcome to the site!

Folks here have covered the riding in your area pretty well. When I started out the Allaire beginner rides were huge confidence building rides for me. I drove about an hour to get to them. I also found Six mile to be a great park for working on bike handling/ turning as many trails are windy.

As far as gloves go, I started out with half finger gloves on the mountain bike. The first time a pricker bush gave me fingertips full of thorns I switched to full finger gloves for the mtb and never looked back. I still prefer the half finger gloves when I ride the road though.

Have fun out there!

Welcome!
If you can make it out to Morristown on a Wednesday afternoon to Lewis morris we usually have about 20 to 35 riders as of late, with such turn out we split up into smaller groups and we only go as fast as our slowest rider. Great way to meet new people, see what kind of gear they have, ask questions, get educated on all things related to mountain biking and get a tour of the park. We usually start riding around 6:20 but it's recommend that you get there by 6 in case you have to change/pump up your tires/fill water bottles etc... this ride is also posted on mountain bikers meet-up which is another great place to piggy back on some group rides and get a tour of new parks.
Hope to see you guys on Wednesday! Enjoy the dirt

hi! enjoy the ride and hope to see you two out on the trail!

+1 on six mile btw. it was also my gateway into single track mountain biking.

Welcome aboard As someone who is involved with the Allaire rides they are worth checking out at least once. I ride the park a lot and will give you a good tour. What I can add to all the other good advice is not to get discouraged there will be trails that will kick your butt the first time you ride them.
the main thing is to enjoy the ride... even a bad day on the bike is better then any day at work..

Welcome.
do the Allaire beginner ride!
If you like rail trail rides, Columbia trail is worth checking out too.
Hit the deli in califon thats close to the trail for lunch.

If you would like a tour of 6M or Allaire, give me a shout. I am beginner friendly :)
And my Hubby is very shy too. Me, ummmm, not so much.

i'm from bergen county and hit the saddle brook path when i want a easy cruise or just to get some mileage in on the path. Trails in Alpine at the boyscout camp are open to bikes but it's not a very easy trail. Westwood Cycle does some group rides there and they're super helpful. The meetup group does Tourne rides on tuesdays that would be good for beginner ish riders. Also, you can try Hilltop reservation which is a little rough but fun

Welcome, very good info already posted; another thing to consider carrying is a pocket-sized chain tool. It may require some hands-on instruction if not familiar with the process.

Being that I am not "Mr. Smoothie" on the trails, this has saved me from walking out of the woods almost as much as a tube and pump.

Have fun! Remember if stops being fun, change it up or find something else to do that is!

Welcome!
If you can make it out to Morristown on a Wednesday afternoon to Lewis morris we usually have about 20 to 35 riders as of late, with such turn out we split up into smaller groups and we only go as fast as our slowest rider. Great way to meet new people, see what kind of gear they have, ask questions, get educated on all things related to mountain biking and get a tour of the park. We usually start riding around 6:20 but it's recommend that you get there by 6 in case you have to change/pump up your tires/fill water bottles etc... this ride is also posted on mountain bikers meet-up which is another great place to piggy back on some group rides and get a tour of new parks.
Hope to see you guys on Wednesday! Enjoy the dirt
^^^^^^^ 100% what Skyrokz said! I'll be there Wednesday!

Back
Top Bottom