Heads up

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Saw what looked to be a mother and 2 cubs out on the yellow trail where you have to stay left at the fork on the fire road. I was happy to see the bears go the opposite direction that I was headed! Anyone know if the park is aware of the bears?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I should have said: does the park monitor the bears in the park to see where they primarily hang out?

monteverest

bears in waway

funny you should post. i was bluff charged twice last year by bears in waway. not a pleasant experience but bear encounters at waway are pretty frequent. most bears will run away upon encounter but do practice good bear precaution.

i have bear bells on my bike and will occasionally sing or shout, especially on the sitting bear trial just to ensure they know i'm approaching.

the rangers know bears live in the park but dont have a count or estimate. rangers also tend to regard the bears as almost harmless so long as you dont do something stupid

xc62701

Yes bears are very prevalent in Waway. I find it weird when I don't see a bear on a ride.

monteverest

bears there

Yes bears are very prevalent in Waway. I find it weird when I don't see a bear on a ride.

i seem to run into bear on sitting bear trail and the white trail (off cherry ridge) more frequently than anywhere else. twice last year i had double encounters and once a triple encounter (bears must have been mating that day)

from what i've read and heard, bears can be found in many of the northwestern parks (including high point, etc) but waway is known to have a decent size population. the riding in waway is great so enjoy the ride

xc62701

I've seen em on cherry ridge, white trail(lookout), pines, and sitting bear. I'm still waiting to see the more elusive animal that's rumored to be in Wawayanda...this is why I don't ride with a steak on my back any more :D

monteverest

elusive animal

i saw one but cannot confirm if it was indeed the elusive animal or its smaller kin which is known to reside in these parts. he was very muscular with a terrific, compact muscular structure.

the sighted animal was spotted while i was driving on canistear -- he sprinted across the road in front of me into wooded land butting against waway. whole sighting last probably less than a few seconds. time to reconsider that beef jerkey i carry in the jersey pocket.

xc62701

Same here. I thought I saw one but down 23 in WM. It ran across 23 and I caught a glimpse but not enought to postively identify it. I did hear of a guy that lives off of Clinton road that had a positive sighting. It was wandering around his back yard as he watched from the kitchen. It stayed for about 5 mins and then wandered back into the woods.

bozizle

All Day

We have already seen 5 bears this early spring at my house on which is backed up to Wawa off Clinton Road....they are looking for food and generally early morning and dusk is the time to see them very active and running around. This weekend they should be out in droves....and of course Monday mornings when my stupid f'ing neighbors leave their garbage out Sunday night and is generally dragged through my back yard.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
i saw one but cannot confirm if it was indeed the elusive animal or its smaller kin which is known to reside in these parts. he was very muscular with a terrific, compact muscular structure.

the sighted animal was spotted while i was driving on canistear -- he sprinted across the road in front of me into wooded land butting against waway. whole sighting last probably less than a few seconds. time to reconsider that beef jerkey i carry in the jersey pocket.

Can't comment on a juvenile cat, but when you see an adult, even for a few seconds it will reset your brain!! The tail is just ridiculously huge.

Sprintzer

Bear stories? I lived in HL on the Vernon side. Bears ate my garbabe every day until i started sprayin it with Ammonia. That was real funny. I run the trails over in Ramapo, and have seen 2 bears there. They didn;t see me or because when i saw them i think i was going about 49.6 MPH to get away so either way i was good. Have not seen them at waway yet but i am sure that on my bike i can get up to about 76.4. So i should be good. Besides the friend i ride with is always behind me, so i just gotta be faster than him right?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
yeah...bears are still there :D

Saw a big MoFo today by the gas line.

and the killer flies are there too, even with the colder temps and the fog/mist combo.

By the way, I rode that unmarked trail on the south side of the park for the first time, what a nice piece of trail. :getsome: I think it is actually 2 trails.
So about 18mi today :cool:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions