Have to lose weight!!!

It seems a bit sluggish to me

sure. blame the bike ;)

you can lose some pounds getting rid of the squish fork and going with a carbon fiber rigid one. that will really lighten up the front end and make the bike more responsive (better acceleration). if you wanna go that way. you'll really notice the weight loss with that move.

have no clue whether the stock wheels are heavy or not, but generally getting lighter wheels (less moving weight) would go a long way.

as far as "cheap"....carbon fiber seatpost and handlebars would be much cheaper than new wheels and/or fork. but that wont really save too much weight.

bottom line: if you REALLY want to lose lots of weight its gonna cost ya.

bottom line: if you REALLY want to lose lots of weight its gonna cost ya.

Thanks, it doesn't have to be "cheap," just what would be the least expensive option? I have suspicions about the wheels alright. Does anyone have any wheel recommendations?

In the meantime, I'll eat less and exercise more!!!

how much you weigh doe? a tubeless wheelset will probably weigh less than the boat anchors you have bro

The cheapest way to be lighter on the bike is to BE lighter on the bike. But if you are already a stick figure and won't be able to lose more weight in a healthy way, a few options that will lighten your bike up. But nothing is free -- so you'll have to decide how far you'll go. If lightening up your bike is your biggest concern for it, then strip off anything you can get away with not having -- and that means gears and suspension. A singlespeed drivetrain is lighter than geared, and a carbon fork will be a noticeably lighter. But neither of these things make a bike quite as snappy and quick on technical terrain (although I still would argue they'll make you a faster climber.) And depending on how you like to ride, they may not be as fun.

Another school of thought comes in this article. I don't personally agree with a lot of what this guy says (I think he's ignoring some factors), but it's good fair balance.

he means its expensive to lower the weight on your bike significantly. but start with the wheels/tires/tubes as previously mentioned. Tubes are heavy and probably the cheapest to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom