Have any Audio Geeks cut the cable?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
If your receiver has a DTS Neo 6, sound processing mode, it will expand your sound from a 2 channel source up to 6.
It does, but I don't want to switch modes every time I change channels. The Auto setting on the Marantz always worked flawlessly so it was never an issue with cable.

Wife is hating the Youtube anyway so I have the feeling we'll be back on cable (too soon).

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Home audio isn’t really my world, but I think @Mathers is probably correct. Most likely the provider is just sending certain things as stereo. It wouldn’t make sense that some channels work and some don’t…. I have zero experience with YouTube tv tho.

If that is the case, it would probably show up in the Stats for Nerds section of youtube?

Mathers

Set your Marantz to decode the 2 Channel stereo to Dolby Pro logic or DTS Neo. That will give you a surround but it won’t be Dolby digital.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
One other thing about what is being sent.

The systems go through a handshake to see what they are capable of, and what the owner has "prefered"
This should happen at the start of every new stream.

The handshake protocol is supposed to be robust, and they should agree on the highest quality stream from the source that the receiver can handle.
That doesn't mean it always works, and the default is probably 2 channel stereo.

one suggestion might be a movie mode that interprets the center channel?
Not that you don't want it to work correctly, but while sh*t is getting figured.

ebarker9

Conveniently enough my 12-ish year old receiver just died (seemingly. I'll have to do a bit more troubleshooting to be sure). I kind of wanted something that supports ARC/EARC anyway rather than using the mid 2000s optical cable out. I have fairly nice PSB floor/center/surround speakers, no plans to add to this beyond possibly a subwoofer just because my room layout doesn't really work with side etc speakers.

Any suggestions in the ~$1k kind of range? Denon X2700?

Captain Brainstorm

Conveniently enough my 12-ish year old receiver just died (seemingly. I'll have to do a bit more troubleshooting to be sure). I kind of wanted something that supports ARC/EARC anyway rather than using the mid 2000s optical cable out. I have fairly nice PSB floor/center/surround speakers, no plans to add to this beyond possibly a subwoofer just because my room layout doesn't really work with side etc speakers.

The Sony ES series, either str-za2100 or 3100. They don't have certain bells and whistles like wireless or bluetooth, but what you're paying for is the quality of sound imaging and audio processing, plus they're built like tanks. The UI is also pretty intuitive and easy to use, even for a complete newb like me.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep

Haven't been there is a while, but check out The Sound Exchange in Somerville. One of the last places around to go test ride decent audio equipment.

ebarker9

Haven't been there is a while, but check out The Sound Exchange in Somerville. One of the last places around to go test ride decent audio equipment.

Thanks. Feels like there aren't as many of these places around anymore. Also, love this kind of stuff in the audio geek world:

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Thanks. Feels like there aren't as many of these places around anymore. Also, love this kind of stuff in the audio geek world:

That's nothing.

You better get one of these for your new receiver.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep

BTW, these guys and Crutchfield have some decent deals once in a while. https://www.audioadvisor.com/

ebarker9

That's nothing.

You better get one of these for your new receiver.

Oh yeah, I know. I used to be more in to home theater stuff and spent a lot of time on avsforum. There's always that line between "it's cool to have a really nice home theater setup" and just throwing away money for no reason at all.

Captain Brainstorm

ebarker9

And if those PSB speakers are 4 ohm, you may also need a true 4 ohm rated power amp to really drive those suckers to a volume where you feel it in your chest and the dishes fall out of the cabinet.

They're 6 ohm.

Have two of those towers, two surrounds and the center channel. I do want to add a sub (kind of curious about the infinite baffle setups, but not sure I really want to cut a hole in my floor).

Captain Brainstorm

They're 6 ohm.

Have two of those towers, two surrounds and the center channel. I do want to add a sub (kind of curious about the infinite baffle setups, but not sure I really want to cut a hole in my floor).
From what I understand, the 4 ohm speakers tend to be of the very high-end variety, and get be driven to really loud, clear volumes. Unless you have a larger space that requires that kind of volume, or are serious audiophile, may be overkill. Those speakers you have look pretty good, I need to get something like that. I'm in the market for new right, center, and left speakers myself. Gonna start with those because they perform the heavy sonic lifting, do the 2 side and the rear satellites later. Gonna look at some reasonably priced 6 ohm speakers.

From what I understand, you shouldn't overthink subs. As long as the bass is tight like a tiger and doesn't get muddy you should be good. Its also dictated by the size of your space.

ebarker9

From what I understand, the 4 ohm speakers tend to be of the very high-end variety, and get be driven to really loud, clear volumes. Unless you have a larger space that requires that kind of volume, or are serious audiophile, may be overkill. Those speakers you have look pretty good, I need to get something like that. I'm in the market for new right, center, and left speakers myself. Gonna start with those because they perform the heavy sonic lifting, do the 2 side and the rear satellites later. Gonna look at some reasonably priced 6 ohm speakers.

From what I understand, you shouldn't overthink subs. As long as the bass is tight like a tiger and doesn't get muddy you should be good. Its also dictated by the size of your space.

Not sure what you'd be in the market for, but I have a couple of their smaller tower speakers that have basically been unused in my upstairs for years. If you think they'd work for you get in touch.

Top Bottom