Hasenclever Trail

Kaleidopete

According to a post on their FB page from Nov, 1:

The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks
November 1 at 7:20pm ·
Event for the Opening of the New Foot Bridge for this Saturday has been cancelled until further notice

At least it is good to know that there will be a new bridge.
Damn...I was going to go and ride the Fatty over the bridge! I guess the newspaper printed the original opening, not being informed about the delay

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It says the event is cancelled until further notice, but it doesn't say whether or not the bridge is there. Maybe they put the bridge in but just cancelled the event?

Kaleidopete

So I went to see the bridge ceremony today, not expecting there to be one, and I was right.
There were quite a few people there though. I asked about it at the office and they didn't know
about it. One lady said "I heard something about that", "It's only 3PM now, so maybe it'll be here" !
Duh! Lady, there's NO BRIDGE and it ain't comin' today!
I asked "where IS the bridge?" Not expecting an answer, and I didn't get one.

Longpond Bridge01.jpg

Longpond Bridge04.jpg

Longpond Bridge06.jpg

Kaleidopete

Update on the Hasencleaver trail bridge.
I started asking around about this bridge project. The Friends Of The Longpond Ironworks didn’t know much about it when speaking with them in person, and my email was never answered either. A phone call to the New York New Jersey Trail Conference didn’t afford any better information either. Then yesterday I received a reply to my email to NYNJTC, stating that they were going to be working on the new bridge on Tuesday 11/15. Would I like to volunteer to help, and if I did to show up onsite at 9 AM. I excepted, and did show up today in the pouring rain. I was very surprised to see three other workers on site when I arrived. I rode my Fat Bike in the one mile to the bridge site, rather than walk it. They too were surprised to see me arrive. I started by clearing some brush away from the site and getting it ready. By 9:30 seven others arrived and began planning the bridge work. I think all the others were NYNJTC people, some asked if I too was a member and what group I was with. I said I am a member of NYNJTC too, and JORBA and MTBNJ.COM They weren’t familiar with MTBNJ.COM and only one person had heard of JORBA. So we chatted a little and them got to work. They all liked the Fat Bike. We moved the first piece of the structure by all of us carrying it into place and then up righting it in position for crossing the stream. Then we did the same for the second piece. Now we attached the pulleys to one side and got it secured to the cable line that would bring it across the stream. This took us all of about two hours and I had to leave for another appointment, but that was fine because now that the grunt work was done there were less workers needed to finish up. They said they might work until four PM. I went back later around 1:30 and they were all gone, but the one side is now in place. I guess we did good and got as much done for the day as was anticipated. This bridge is being built on site, so there is definitely more work to be done, but it looks like it’s going just fine. A great group of workers braving the elements.

Longpond Bridge02.jpg

Longpond Bridge03.jpg

Longpond Bridge05.jpg

Longpond Bridge07.jpg

huffster

Holy crap! That is a "brick shit-house". Seems like overkill, but considering how long it was out, I guess they never want to have to replace it again. Nice work!

Kaleidopete

@JimN@icebiker@huffster
Todays updates, we got the main trusses in place. I think it's just under three feet wide inside.
I told them that's fine, as long as my handlebars fit. I also stated I want ramps, not stairs, I don't like riding stairs.

Longpond Bridge21.jpg

Longpond Bridge23.jpg

Longpond Bridge33.jpg

Longpond Bridge34.jpg

Longpond Bridge35.jpg

huffster

Looking good! I definitely expected it to be wider considering how big the trusses were. But, as you said, 36" works fine. I have to say, they are being very thoughtful about this build.

Kaleidopete

Looking good! I definitely expected it to be wider considering how big the trusses were. But, as you said, 36" works fine. I have to say, they are being very thoughtful about this build.
And sloooooow! These guys are so cautious it's amazing! I'm glad, but they discuss every detail and make sure nothing goes wrong.
I never worked with such a professional group like this.

w_b

And sloooooow! These guys are so cautious it's amazing! I'm glad, but they discuss every detail and make sure nothing goes wrong.
I never worked with such a professional group like this.

Did they let you wear a hard hat Pete?

huffster

That pre-2005 pic was at a pretty high water level. New bridge should handle that from the looks of it. The reservoir could really use some of that water now.

So, did you get your ramps?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions