Has anyone jumped on this "free" solar energy thing?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
they are capping my generation based upon my consumption.

If my electric bill was very high - cause of all the grow lights ;) - would that make it more appealing?
I also have room to do a ground based array - ideas on that ?

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can thank the energy company lobbies for the cap, among other things. It's still possible to overproduce, but you've got to register with the state as an energy provider. Sorry, @Patrick, stand alone isn't recognized as residential anymore.

RobW

If my electric bill was very high - cause of all the grow lights ;) - would that make it more appealing?
I also have room to do a ground based array - ideas on that ?
right? my electric bill is not so insane, never reaches 200

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
and thanks to the power utilities getting their way with UL1741, they can shut off your solar production any time they want, though I'm not sure if that happens often

Last edited:

MMuller

You can thank the energy company lobbies for the cap, among other things. It's still possible to overproduce, but you've got to register with the state as an energy provider. Sorry, @Patrick, stand alone isn't recognized as residential anymore.
and thanks to the power utilities getting their way with UL1741, they can shut off your solar production any time they want
This is what I mean about typical American biz corrupting what would be so beneficial for the planet. I mean, I understand we're capitalists but there comes a time when logic and science have to take precedence, like in a pandemic for example.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
This is what I mean about typical American biz corrupting what would be so beneficial for the planet. I mean, I understand we're capitalists but there comes a time when logic and science have to take precedence, like in a pandemic for example.

sorry I should not have put a negative spin on this. There is likely good reason to be able for control production, for example grid stability.

rlb

sorry I should not have put a negative spin on this. There is likely good reason to be able for control production, for example grid stability.

That's part of it probably, and most likely 99% of the argument they used, but it's also self preservation on the utility companies too.

Patrick

Staff member
I've read Elon and his group are re-thinking the whole grid -
local generation, storage, b/u, backfeed - i'm not sure the utility cos care where it comes from,
but the people selling NG, Coal, Oil do.

If i'm a linesman, there would have to be a lot of trust in stopping backfeed! maybe smarter transformers.

Solar creates DC - so no need to convert to A/C to charge a battery - some efficiency there.
Wind create AC - and the frequency varies with speed, not a big challenge to rectify.

RobW

I've read Elon and his group are re-thinking the whole grid -
local generation, storage, b/u, backfeed - i'm not sure the utility cos care where it comes from,
but the people selling NG, Coal, Oil do.
Buoy generators are growing- fun fact- my friend is an engineer working on these... its such a cool technology with a simplistic approach
1589549116500.png

another friend of ours has a maritime business in the NY harbor is battling for a contract for transporting workers to the wind farms off north long island-- big german dollars funding that one... but when they expand to our local waters, that is when he can win that bid

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Buoy generators are growing- fun fact- my friend is an engineer working on these... its such a cool technology with a simplistic approach
another friend of ours has a maritime business in the NY harbor is battling for a contract for transporting workers to the wind farms off north long island-- big german dollars funding that one... but when they expand to our local waters, that is when he can win that bid

Very cool!
I've also seen tidal and wave generation - dealing with salt water is def a problem.

JBurgessXXX

My energy and gas bills were insane for almost five years. I paid over 250, even though I changed my habits and I unplug all devices when needed. The problem was in my supplier when comparing the prices I came up immediately with the idea to switch to another one, with a cheaper tariff. I think it was the best idea and I can't be more thankful to http://usave.co.uk for this.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Anyone looked into this recently? Never thought it made sense
in NJ but does here in sunny FL. Just had a guy over to give a quote on their system with and without storage batteries that act as backup if power goes out.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Anyone looked into this recently? Never thought it made sense
in NJ but does here in sunny FL. Just had a guy over to give a quote on their system with and without storage batteries that act as backup if power goes out.
First thing I would ask: is it hurricane proof, and if storage batteries get blown all over your neighborhood spilling whatever is in them out, who pays to clean that up?

we have a good roof for it - back of the house gets all the sun so no one would see it from the street (no curb appeal issues). One benefit I have heard is a longer lasting roof, so I may do it at some point. If I don’t move first.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also consider lifespan and replacement cost of the panels.

rick81721

Lothar
First thing I would ask: is it hurricane proof, and if storage batteries get blown all over your neighborhood spilling whatever is in them out, who pays to clean that up?

They claim the panels are rated to 200 mph. Storage batteries are placed inside the garage.
Also consider lifespan and replacement cost of the panels.

25 year full replacement warranty on panels and micro inverters (there's one inverter under each panel). Storage batteries only have a 10 year warranty tho - and Tesla batteries are on a 12 month wait. LG available now.

rick81721

Lothar
PS related to the original post/title - these things aren't free. You either buy cash or finance thru them. Feds give 26% credit, that's it.

Top Bottom