hardtail front suspension recommendations??

PatrickBrown

I used to race religiously back in the late 90s and it was right around the time when front suspension was big on a hardtail. I am looking at bikes now to make a return to the sport and everything is based around freeride or more like downhill setup type bikes. all you guys/gals who race alot riding these days??

Pat

heythorp

i dont race but if you are looking for effeciency you could do a fox 100x they also make it in a 90.
Depending on your frame, you may not want 100mm fork.
Reba is a good choice too.
fox rl
fox rlc
fox rlt

Those are the big guns. R=rebound L=lockout T=threshold(for the lockout) C=compression X=has an inertia valve that opens up when you hit a bump, other wise its ridged

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Maybe Dual Sus??

PatrickBrown said:
I used to race religiously back in the late 90s and it was right around the time when front suspension was big on a hardtail. I am looking at bikes now to make a return to the sport and everything is based around freeride or more like downhill setup type bikes. all you guys/gals who race alot riding these days??

Pat

Hey pat,

I know who you are and people still talk about how fast you were.

Get back on the bike at any cost. I think that you might get into the single speed thing. Gozik rides his old Bontager all the time now. Full Rigid and one gear. He also has a fancy Dual suspension that he rarely rides.

Another guy you know C.E. rides a short travel dual suspesion bike all the time. He actually just went from a 2.75 inh rear travel to a 4 inch. I would bet your back would thank you if you got a short travel dual sus bike. Keep in mind that they can actually climb better and be almost as light.

Either way get back on a bike.

Best O' Luck.

J-

RyGanley

Racing in NJ

As you may know racing in NJ means Lot's of Rocks, Todays designs focus mainly on full suspention.. Not to be confused with downhill bikes these XC full suspention don't Bobb like older ones.. they feel very stiff until you hit a rock or 10, The upside to bikes these days are they allow you to travle longer distances and give a lot more control on changing terrain. For instance: I own about 5 Moutain Bikes and Two Road bikes.. My oldest Mt. Bike is a full riged Stump Jumper that I have turned into a single speed. This bike combined wtih trails at The Tourne in denville rides very fast on the uphills, but on the dowhills I have very little control on loose gravle or rocks.. and I find myself dragging the brakes way to much. My Full suspention on the other hand will climb everything I can on my stumpjumper but flys down the hillls with the greatest of ease. I would recomend researching a Epic or a Rush...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
There are lots of cool options...

Pat-
I'm stoked that you're looking to get out there. Let's get caught up when you get a chance.

As J. notes, I'm spending A LOT of time on my old Race Lite, but now it's got a rigid fork and is single speeded with an ENO hub. The SS thing is a lot of fun, particularly at the Monmouth County local spots.

I also have a Titus Racer X, 100mm in front and 90mm in the back, similar to various 100mm FS bikes that are now pretty common race machines. It's faster in pretty much every way than the Bontrager was when it had a SID and gears. The Titus is probably the best bike I've ever owned, in terms of giving me the ability to go faster, longer, and more comfortably.

There are still plenty of guys on hardtails. Killer speed machines with a suspension fork, hydraulic discs, and exotic materials galore are the weapon of choice for lots of riders.

Whatever you decide, I hope we can get out and ride!:D

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
Cg

I would like you all to Note Chris G's Avitar.

Here we have a rather conservative XC racer type guy bombing down a hill in the dark with no helmet.. on a 45 lb DH bike. This is mostly funny to me since he looks so badass in this pic!

This was at Pedro's Fest.

We all took turns blasting as fast as we could pedal down this nice 1/4 mile long hill.

Ahh..

We also drank many beers and rode many fun trails.

The end.

J_

PatrickBrown

Ffellas, thanks much for all the kind words.......

Chris man its awesome to hear from you I know I ave been WAY out of the loop. I'm married now, working at Bell Audi in rahway. I am definately in the need of some fun in the trails with the guys, my dilemma is that I dont know if I could do it for fun, although I should. I need something for fitness of course. I have turned into the old fat married guy lol

anyway its all in good fun

any of the old riding crew still around? mike merritt?

Pat

jdog

Shop Keep
Well??

..Have you been looking at bikes??

You are not getting any younger! Come out this fall and ride with us. You can race if you want but a bunch of folks would be glad to see you out in the woods again.

I have a bike that you can ride if you just want to come out and play.

Do you still have gear? Shorts, shoes and helmet. If not I can hook you up.

Let us know.

We are waiting in the woods.

J

jdog

Shop Keep
Pat! I think I might have an answer!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2006&model=11264

Giant is blowing out the 2006 Carbon Fiber XTC Hartail. I have one in the shop today but it will be gone tommorow.

Figure it is very light, smooth and surprisingly soild.

Nice DT Hubs, Lockout on the front fork, sweet Race Face Cranks and Very good Sram shifting.

$2600 is retail but i can do it fo under $2g

Ket me know.

I don't know how long they will last at this price.

J

jdog

Shop Keep
Full XTC Spec

Specifications:
msrp
size 15", 17", 19", 21"
color Composite/Bright Blue/Silver
frame Giant formulaOne composite Design, Frame Set Available
fork Manitou R7 Super w/TPC Locdkout, 80mm Travel
shock N/A
handlebar Race Face Evolve XC lowrise
stem Race Face Evolve XC
seatpost Race Face Evolve XC 350x30.9mm
saddle WTB Rocket V Race
pedals N/A
shifters SRAM X.9
front derailleur Shimano XT
rear derailleur SRAM X.9
brakes Avid Single Digit 7
levers Avid FR5
cassette SRAM PG980 11/34T 9-speed
chain Shimano HG 73
cranks Race Face Evolve XC X-Type
BBr Race Face X Type
rims Mavic XC717
hubs DT Cerit disc
spokes DT Competition
tires Hutchinson Python Airlight 26x2.0

PatrickBrown

jdog said:
..Have you been looking at bikes??

You are not getting any younger! Come out this fall and ride with us. You can race if you want but a bunch of folks would be glad to see you out in the woods again.

I have a bike that you can ride if you just want to come out and play.

Do you still have gear? Shorts, shoes and helmet. If not I can hook you up.

Let us know.

We are waiting in the woods.

J

Jay, thanks man, I still have all the gear, but I doubt it all fits me anymore, I'll have to check on that. I havent been looking at anything yet, I have recently had to dump quite a bit of money into my car(by choice) on a new turbo setup and some other crap. it'll be a little while before I can buy a bike of my own, but I will definately take u up on that offer of letting me take a spin out with you guys on a bike borrowed from u. that would be great. it'll be a nice change actually, because I'll probably be the one puking like I used to see other riders do back when I was riding.

I'll keep you guys posted. where is good and easy to ride these days?

Pat

PatrickBrown

jdog said:
Specifications:
msrp
size 15", 17", 19", 21"
color Composite/Bright Blue/Silver
frame Giant formulaOne composite Design, Frame Set Available
fork Manitou R7 Super w/TPC Locdkout, 80mm Travel
shock N/A
handlebar Race Face Evolve XC lowrise
stem Race Face Evolve XC
seatpost Race Face Evolve XC 350x30.9mm
saddle WTB Rocket V Race
pedals N/A
shifters SRAM X.9
front derailleur Shimano XT
rear derailleur SRAM X.9
brakes Avid Single Digit 7
levers Avid FR5
cassette SRAM PG980 11/34T 9-speed
chain Shimano HG 73
cranks Race Face Evolve XC X-Type
BBr Race Face X Type
rims Mavic XC717
hubs DT Cerit disc
spokes DT Competition
tires Hutchinson Python Airlight 26x2.0

Jay another option for me when the money is right might be something similar to that titus that chris has..... I hear tons of good stuff about it, any recommendations on a similar bike?

jdog

Shop Keep
This is my pick..

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/rush/model-7VM3.html

I just sold this bike to Chuck and he reallly digs it. He has the all Carbon version on order for the spring but I sold him this to hold him over till that becomes avalible.

This bike is really solid, fast and durable.

Ask Chuck.. He has ridden a ton of bikes and he really raves about the Rush.

I have one too but I have been riding my singlespeed more often than not lately. In fact I lent my Rush to a friend a month ago. That being said I rode my singlespeed at Allamuchy last weekekend since i had no other mt bike. 20+ miles with one gear was a challenge but fun.

J_

Top Bottom