Hardtail 29er or FS

JWill

So I just got into mountain biking a couple of months ago and after riding as much as the weather has permitted, I've come to two conclusions. The first is, damn I had no idea how much fun this would be. Never thought at 31, I'd be as excited to fly down trails on my bike and hit jumps, as I was when I was 13. As soon as my bikes tires hit the dirt, I have the biggest Sh*t eating girn on my face that last the entire ride. The second thing I've learned is, I should have bought a better bike. I bought a 2011 Trek 4300 with hydraulic brakes and its fits me well but the components are essentially garbage. So first I was considering replacing some things like, fork, wheelset, crankset, freewheel, handlebars, stem, front& rear derailers and headset. Then I realized that the money is probably better spent on a better quality bike that already comes with decent components. So like any good newbie would do, I've spent every available second of the last two weeks debating on what I should get, much to the dismay of my GF(who is starting to get annoyed with my constant bike talk..but she just has to understand how freaking cool the twisties at six mile are). Anyhow, I'm considering a Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er(Jensen has it for $1300) or a used FS. I've only been riding for two months, so I'm not an expert but I can and do hit the technical stuff on every ride and hope to become a much better rider by riding harder, more technical trails. My budget is hopefully below $1500 and I mostly ride six mile, allaire, and hartshorne right now. However, I'll be moving to north jersey in a few months and would like to start riding some of the trails up there like wayway, LM, JH, and allamuchy. Will the 29er hardtail get me through those trails decently or do I really need a FS to ride up there? Suggestions?

Having ridden both I am of the opinion that HTails are more than enough for me... IMO a fs 29er makes sense if your riding long distance/time 4-5 hours or if you have a bad back... Or are thinking of moving to Colorado:D... Again this is my opinion

You don't "need" a FS per say .. lots of people ride fully rigid, even up North. So everyone will have different preferences. For your budget, I would go with a hardtail and a suspension fork. You might want to demo some bikes and see which ones you feel comfortable on. For under $1500 you can get an adequate hardtail new. For the same amount, you can get a really nice hardtail used. 29er FS will be hard to find used since not too many people have them to sell, especially at that pricepoint.

Last edited:
Welcome to the sport! Nobody really NEEDS a FS to ride any trail IMO, but it will certainly be more comfy for places like Waway, JH, etc. That being said, $1500 isn't going to get you a new FS bike worth buying since anything in that price range will be super heavy with garbage components. Of course, you can always look for something used as you mentioned.

29er Hardtail will do you just right up north. I just picked up a Sette Razzo 1.0 from pricepoint.com. Raced it at the Six Pack and it was real nice!

Your GF better get used to it because your enthusiasm will never decline, it just grows and grows. You'll have to purposely refrain from talking about bikes! I had to because it was driving my wife nuts! She calls it "bike brain".

at that price range any FS 29er you find is going to be pretty clunky. $1500 will land you on a nice hardtail though.

For bikes with a wheel size such as 29, FS is not needed. Everyone knows increase in wheel size are directly propotional to increases in suspension.

really want to remember 13? skip the gears and go ss 29'er!!! if you fit a med, there's a sweet gf rig up for sale here at a great price.

If you are on budget. Both can be had for good prices. Learn the sport and what parts you want. Hunt for them. Build yourself a $3,000k bike for $1,000k. Oh you're talking the 29er, times those price by two :D

I'd say continue riding your Trek and keep saving your money. In a few months you said you'll be moving up North. After a few trips to Waway, JH, RW, and Blue you'll quickly make your decision.

And both Blue and Mooch offer some of the finest samples of riding you will see when you move north. JORBA fest is on the day we're moving back to North Carolina. :cry::cry:

i have been riding full suspension for two years now, i had a hardtail previously which was cool, but full squish for me was the way to go, it's so much more fun, especially if you like to take jumps/drops hardtail will suffice but do you want to find your self in the same predicament as you are now regretting not going full squish? A lot of the guys here that ride SS/ full rigid you will find like to hammer down on trails and want nothing less from their ride than speed and more of it, the more suspension technology improves these guys seem to go more and more old school, hmmm i wonder which one is going to be first to start riding a SS, full rigid with wooden wheels:hmmm:? hardtail is definitely a more efficient pedaling bike but if you ride to have fun and enjoy your tech stuff i believe full squish is the way. in my opinion attend jorbafest and demo a full squish on the trails to see the advantages/disadvantages, you already have a hardtail so a 29er hardtail even tough will feel a dash softer is still a hardtail. Or just head to Halters i'm sure they can hook you up.

depends on how technical the trails you ride most and what feels better for you. You're going to have a hard time finding a FS 29er for around $1500. You might wanna save more moeny if that's you're decision. But you should a have some good options in a 29er HT, GF X-Caliber (geared) has pretty nice specs for $1600 or if you wanna jump on the SS bandwagon the GF Rig is the same price. I bought an X-Caliber since it was such a good value, sold the frame (not good geo wise for me) and put all the parts on a Misfit diSSent frame. Couldn't be a happier with the parts and the people I know the ride GF 29ers love their bikes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/29er_race

Last edited:
I bought a 2011 Trek 4300 with hydraulic brakes and its fits me well but the components are essentially garbage. So first I was considering replacing some things like, fork, wheelset, crankset, freewheel, handlebars, stem, front& rear derailers and headset.

Why are the components garbage? Just because they're a little heavy? I've had near bottom end Shimano stuff and it actually shifted really well. How bad can a crankset be?

If you really want to spend money, $1500 gets a decent HT but crappy FS. Think more like $2k or really almost $3k for a good FS. Rigid, HT, FS all work really well throughout NJ - it's a matter of preference and how long your rides are.

hardtail is definitely a more efficient pedaling bike but if you ride to have fun and enjoy your tech stuff i believe full squish is the way.

:confused: I guess I have not been having fun, RIDE WHAT YOU GOT! Kill it till it breaks and save your dough. Better to build your skills on a CPOS first then move to a bike that suits.

I would save my money and get the best that I can afford,be it a HT or a full squish, as time goes on you will end up upgrading alot of the parts which will put you where you would of been if you just spent it in most cases.( And it wont take long ) Me i chose the full squish route and although its a couple pounds heavier and less effiicient than a HT I love it ! I am a bit older than you and that had alot to do with my decision to go in the direction i did. At the Six pack race I was so happy because its like riding on your couch. Hit a climb and just lock it out. You are going to get plenty of opinions here and everyone has their preferance and they are all valid so i would demo at the jorba fest or hook up with someone and try theirs out before you make up your mind. my motto is if i cant decide just keep saving and it will eventually come to you.Not sure what size you actually are but i have a buddy selling a nice GF hi Fi. P.m. if interested.

Back
Top Bottom