Gunk with ProLink chain lube

Dave02

Yeah I know- tons of info and reviews on ProLink around, but here’s my deal.
I’ve been using Prolink exclusively. Clean the chain, lube with ProLink using the Finish Line no drip luber, back-peddle a minute to work it in, rag off the excess.
After a dry-day ride at 6 Mile, the outside of the chain has a bit grunge, but the inside of the plates are caked with crud. I clean the and lube the chain after each ride.
Thinking of switching to a dry lube (Finish Line Dry).
Any comments / suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Here is what I've been doing for 20 years... Starting in bmx then motocross and now mtb. I'm sure I'll have many people rejecting what I do but it works for me... 3 in 1 oil. First, I take the chain off and soak it in gas in a coffee can. Swish it around for a little while, take the chain out and wipe it dry. Before putting the chain back on, clean all sprockets and cogs and get all the build up off. Put chain back on. The rear wheel needs to be off the ground so you can pedal the bike - while pedaling with your hand, apply the the oil for approximately 2 full rotations. After that, keep pedaling and clean off the excess by holding a rag around the chain. I usually do this before a race and or after I wash the bike. Maybe after 2 - 3 fifteen mile trail rides.

I have scraped off 3 in 1 oil that dried to a varnish. Never again. Pedro's Go or Chainj for me.

Thanks all- I'll try T-9 after one more chance with ProLink, but without using the no-drip luber. Disappointed, as ProLink is supposed to be one of the best and shed dirt.

;) just make sure you follow the instructions with the T-9. gotta get that chain CLEAN before applying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom