Gravity Groms

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Not sure if there is another specific thread for kids and bike parks but I’d like to start one.

I’m planning to bring my boys to Creek this season. They’re 8 and 12. Neither has ridden trails. They both do pretty well at the pump track and have been riding BMX bikes since they were 4 years old. A few questions for those in the know.
  1. How is the kids beginner camp? Intermediate camp?
  2. Do the kids bike rentals book up quickly?
  3. Is mid-week better? Are the weekends too crowded?
What else should I expect?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Well first I'd recommend to do some trails. Not a great idea to do creek even the green trails without a little trail riding experience under their belt.

For the lessons the answer is absolutely totally worth it. My son did the intermediate lesson 2 years ago and it was great. They focused on jumping and turns. 3 boys, 2 instructors (kathi from dirt rock root and John the killer freerider) and it was perfect. I've spoken with kathi recently and she's only doing weekdays now because it's so busy on the weekends.

There are no kids rentals at creek btw, just size small gamblers. Ridetopia down the block has a few kids size enduro and dh sleds you can rent. Call them up. You may want to take the boys yourself there one Thursday and if they take to it then do lessons your 2nd time. Weekends are bananas now and with kids I highly recommend playing hooky one Thursday and going instead of a weekend.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seeing this 8 year old send it off Road to Nowhere was super motivating for me this year.

Kathi (dirt rock n root) is a great coach. The dudes that teach for Creek are all sick riders and very good people as well. They will get more out of the lesson on a weekday because you have more space to just session things without people blasting through.

Just get them out there man. Don’t over think it. Kids bounce (unlike us old dudes). Start em now and they’ll be shredding past you in two years.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Well first I'd recommend to do some trails. Not a great idea to do creek even the green trails without a little trail riding experience under their belt.

For the lessons the answer is absolutely totally worth it. My son did the intermediate lesson 2 years ago and it was great. They focused on jumping and turns. 3 boys, 2 instructors (kathi from dirt rock root and John the killer freerider) and it was perfect. I've spoken with kathi recently and she's only doing weekdays now because it's so busy on the weekends.

There are no kids rentals at creek btw, just size small gamblers. Ridetopia down the block has a few kids size enduro and dh sleds you can rent. Call them up. You may want to take the boys yourself there one Thursday and if they take to it then do lessons your 2nd time. Weekends are bananas now and with kids I highly recommend playing hooky one Thursday and going instead of a weekend.
Great advice! I didn’t even think about Ridetopia. Making sure they’re on proper bikes is what I’m most concerned about. My boys are fearless. I have no doubt they’ll do well and love MC. Still, I’m planning to sign them up for the camps. Kids take to lessons better with others than they do with their parents. :rolleyes:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I agree that you should probably take them trail riding before heading to creek. BMX background is great and you'd think they'd be fine on the flowy trails but there are still rocks, gravel and ridiculous braking bumps on those trails.

mtbiker87

Just a reminder, due the owner's recent, and unfortunate passing, I'm not certain of Ridetopia's future at the moment. I know they are still working the snowboard end, as they have the last few years, but not certain as to the bike end of things.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I agree that you should probably take them trail riding before heading to creek. BMX background is great and you'd think they'd be fine on the flowy trails but there are still rocks, gravel and ridiculous braking bumps on those trails.
Trial by 🔥.

:cool:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I took a friend of my daughter to the Highland kids camp last summer. He is 6. He was on training wheels in March. I worked with him a bunch. In June I took him to Highland and he crushed it.

Highland is well worth the trip. It has amazing beginner terrain. My wife also took a lesson and loved it.

I would not take these kids to creek.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I took a friend of my daughter to the Highland kids camp last summer. He is 6. He was on training wheels in March. I worked with him a bunch. In June I took him to Highland and he crushed it.

Highland is well worth the trip. It has amazing beginner terrain. My wife also took a lesson and loved it.

I would not take these kids to creek.
It’s been 10 years since I visited Highland. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

mtbiker87

I'd say the same thing for Killington as far as terrain and kid/ beginner trails. Not sure about the coaching end of things. Deffinetly more trail options for newer riders than Creek.

V-Dub

Creek has a new rental fleet for 2021 and they should have 24" wheeled bikes for kids as they did last year (check with them)
Definitely will advance their learning curve if you get some lessons either from Creek's guides or from Dirt rock and root(Kathi is awesome).
The rentals go quick on the weekends, book in advance or during the week is the time to hit the park
Hope to see y'all out there this year

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nah didn’t Creek have those Rosignol 24s...?

1614612275150.jpeg

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I hope it’s not an April fools but MC announced they’re adding Thursdays to their Spring hours. Even better, they’ve extended Friday hours!

Looks like Grom Fridays are in my future. :)

“And here’s some other exciting news... we’re expanding our operating hours for this season. We’ve added Thursdays for the spring and Fridays will now follow our weekend hours. Our new spring hours are:

Thursday’s Noon - 6pm
Friday - Sunday 9am - 6pm”

oobaa47

Oh man, I've been pushing for full fridays for quite some time!!! That would be awesome!!

Top Bottom