Government considers disabling cellphones in cars

30% for added value and safety and we generally get the job done faster as long as we arent being held up by upper management or some political crap vs. a 90% difference for no added value is hardly a comparison

I've worked alongside some top notch non union guys from all trades, freely admit some know more than me. The only difference between us and them is our books and the CBA.

Would you give up 15% of what you get in order to increase membership and market share?

The professionl/public unions feel they don't have to give anything up.

with the union everyone is a citizen who is paying taxes, with the scabs you dont know if the whole crew just jumped the fence last month and is sending every extra dollar back to their home country

A scab is a union member who crosses the line. If you are going to degrade, use proper terms.

dumbed down cars

I really have no trouble with this, really.I imagine if they get that kind of system going and working, the speed limits could go up.If you had to give up moment to moment control of your car,how fast would you want to go to make it worth it? Just tell it where you want to go,enter plattekill ,watch video's on the way there. If my car could get me to plattekill in an hour and a half and i could eat and then sleep on the way home,freak'n awesome. It would probabely eliminate that no reason traffic jam on the thruway too.

I've worked alongside some top notch non union guys from all trades, freely admit some know more than me. The only difference between us and them is our books and the CBA.

Would you give up 15% of what you get in order to increase membership and market share?

The professionl/public unions feel they don't have to give anything up.

I personally would give up 15% to increase marketshare (knowing it would go back to where was or higher when the market rebounds)but would have to consider alot of consequences of membership.
There are individuals that are great where ever you look, and they would surely become a superintendent(or start their own co.) and get extra money if they deserved it but the union rates are a direct correlation to the long term demands of the market. The companies that hire us still make a profit with the worst guy, while some put in more than their share.

My personal abilities and willingness to due something are not the issue since its a brotherhood that decides together.

A scab is a union member who crosses the line. If you are going to degrade, use proper terms.

you are correct but I thought that was better than the terms I hear most to describe non-union workers. I btw have gotten along fine in composite crews, its not the individual that I would have a problem with.

Officials were considering several other theories about the collapse on Wednesday, which killed 5 construction workers and injured 10 others. In one scenario, officials said, one section of the scaffold was overloaded with the weight of bricks and cement that were being used to repair the southern facade of the building, at 215 Park Avenue South.

Buildings Department officials cautioned, however, that their investigation was still preliminary. "We have not determined the cause of the collapse," said Ilyse Fink, a department spokeswoman.

As part of the inquiry, fire officials and Buildings Department investigators have interviewed some of the contractors and are also receiving cooperation from the building's manager, Stephen L. Green, the brother of the Democratic candidate for mayor, Mark Green.

And as much as investigators sought to determine the precise cause of the accident, they were also trying to determine if the contractors at the site had taken a cavalier attitude about the safety of the workers, all of whom were nonunion workers. Many were recently arrived immigrants, and several acknowledged that they were in the country illegally.

"This was a nonunion job using unskilled labor," said Richard Weiss, a spokesman for the Mason Tenders District Council of New York, which represents masonry workers. "More people were hurt at this work site in one day than have died during the entire anthrax scare."

Several agencies were looking into the matter. The State Labor Department said it had received a complaint that one worker was 17 years old. It is illegal for workers on a construction site to be under 18. And the Manhattan district attorney, Robert M. Morgenthau, was reviewing the possibility of a criminal investigation, said his spokeswoman, Barbara Thompson.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d+collapse+non-union&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I personally would give up 15% to increase marketshare (knowing it would go back to where was or higher when the market rebounds)but would have to consider alot of consequences of membership.
There are individuals that are great where ever you look, and they would surely become a superintendent(or start their own co.) and get extra money if they deserved it but the union rates are a direct correlation to the long term demands of the market. The companies that hire us still make a profit with the worst guy, while some put in more than their share.

My personal abilities and willingness to due something are not the issue since its a brotherhood that decides together.

I can bet your local is hitting 35% out, if not more. I'd be glad if I were wrong but I doubt it. Some locals are sitting north of 50% right now.

The brotherhood mentality relates directly to the I got mine theory of the Police.T he older members who are getting ready to pull the pin don't want anything to change, they even want more contributions going to their pension to run their own numbers up, leaving an unmanageable debt for future members. With market share sliding every year there won't be enough members working to support the pension. My benni package is roughly half the total package. IMO the members have to take a hard look at what is going on and make changes if we want to be around in a decade.

you are correct but I thought that was better than the terms I hear most to describe non-union workers. I btw have gotten along fine in composite crews, its not the individual that I would have a problem with.

And when you were composite did you treat him like a brother or did you make his day hell?

Officials were considering several other theories about the collapse on Wednesday, which killed 5 construction workers and injured 10 others. In one scenario, officials said, one section of the scaffold was overloaded with the weight of bricks and cement that were being used to repair the southern facade of the building, at 215 Park Avenue South.

Buildings Department officials cautioned, however, that their investigation was still preliminary. "We have not determined the cause of the collapse," said Ilyse Fink, a department spokeswoman.

As part of the inquiry, fire officials and Buildings Department investigators have interviewed some of the contractors and are also receiving cooperation from the building's manager, Stephen L. Green, the brother of the Democratic candidate for mayor, Mark Green.

And as much as investigators sought to determine the precise cause of the accident, they were also trying to determine if the contractors at the site had taken a cavalier attitude about the safety of the workers, all of whom were nonunion workers. Many were recently arrived immigrants, and several acknowledged that they were in the country illegally.

"This was a nonunion job using unskilled labor," said Richard Weiss, a spokesman for the Mason Tenders District Council of New York, which represents masonry workers. "More people were hurt at this work site in one day than have died during the entire anthrax scare."

Several agencies were looking into the matter. The State Labor Department said it had received a complaint that one worker was 17 years old. It is illegal for workers on a construction site to be under 18. And the Manhattan district attorney, Robert M. Morgenthau, was reviewing the possibility of a criminal investigation, said his spokeswoman, Barbara Thompson.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d+collapse+non-union&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

There is no question that non union cuts corners, just the same as a union contractor. The difference between us and them is the cba, which is our voice. Thats quite an old article, and the political ties show how much the Dems want to help us. Also with the politics, whats the chance they pulled the don't worry about it, I know people card?

this could go down as the worst derailment of a thread ever.

its name should be changed to "the true most useless thread on mtbnj".

this could go down as the worst derailment of a thread ever.

its name should be changed to "the true most useless thread on mtbnj".

just happy to be apart of history

Out of the five locals in the northern district council we are in the best condition but I wouldnt be suprised if your numbers were accurate.

When I have to work with someone then they have to be depended on, if they can be depended on then I will treat them with the same respect as anyone else. One job in particular we were the only ones with hardhats and harness, glasses, and the 2 guys I was partnered with didnt even wear gloves even when one would weld. In some spots we were on 6 in. box channel 35ft. feet up, I grabbed an extra harness from home and asked one them(whoever would be out on the steel at that height) to wear it but he refused, I tried to convince him (he didnt speak english and the other only a little) but he would have none of it, If he was union and I was his steward I could have made him but I couldnt do anything, but it worked out no one hurt. Besides the fact that they didnt wear ppe they were fine workers and we got the job done in an ave. time

Last edited:
I didnt want to take it to PM as if I was afraid of what others would think, if someone sees a clear fault in my argument I welcome the exposure, it is the only way to develop a stronger and concise POV

The problem is cars are getting too easy to drive as well as complicated with GPS, multi-function radiaos, DVDs, etc. Try drving an old Land Rover with manual gearbox, 33" Swampers, and a softtop. I can't even hear the phone ring never mind have a conversation even if I did. It's hard enough to take a drink of water while driving that thing. I usally just set the radio to my ipod and let the music play and that's it.

On the flip side, we just took a trip with the kids and dogs in our Suburban. I had the kids wanting to swap different DVD's, there is the GPS map with traffic updates coming in (along with POI displays for rest stops), multiple XM channels to change thru and that truck is so smooth if I chose to talk or text on the phone it wouldn't be that hard to add.

rockscaler - Sounds like you've had a few sh1tty experiences with police. And I'm sure there are quite a few out there. My dad was a police officer for 20+ years and the job beat the crap out of him. He saw the worst of the worst type of people. Had 2 heart attacks while being a cop and has since retired. He certainly isn't living large like you might think. In fact he has to do part time details to keep things going. Even though his dad was a cop too he told my brothers and me to never get into the law enforcement line of work.

what town/city did he work in

medical_trap_192355.jpg

Back
Top Bottom