Good bye bicycle, I liked you so...

Shaggz

A strong 7
sorry to hear that. my wife did the same thing a couple of years ago. i had over $6K of damage to the car and bike. check your bike over really well. my bike went through my HO policy. i spoke to my LBS (cycleworks), and even with the $1K deductible, i did OK. the thing not covered was the roof rack. since that was brand new, the place i purchased it from sold me a replacement at cost. good luck.

Last edited:

ellbiddy

I called the dealer for replacement parts at a body shop ATM go go iPod touch its 2000 for repairs to the car which are expensive haggled with my Russian connection (good thing we were from the same corner of the world ) as for my bikes the frames look okay the fork on one is bent but everything else is awesome the better bike has a few knicks but nothing bad besides the fork being ripped in two I'm ducking insurance all together on this one

As for house fires they really do hurt I got called out to one a few weeks back. I ride with north Brunswick first aid the nice thing is that the Red cross comes out and makes sure you have a place to sleep and something to eat. I used to be the guy thhat came out for thw red cross before life took away all my time they called it disaster response. I can only thank god its my car and bikes and not my house and family

Thanks to everyone for the kind offers and words hopefully I'll see you on the trails and now since my rack is dead I'll probably roll with a trunk mount

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks to everyone for the kind offers and words hopefully I'll see you on the trails and now since my rack is dead I'll probably roll with a trunk mount

May I suggest a hitch mount system. Trunk mounts are a little sketchy.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
no hitch on my dinky suv wannabe

I just ordered on from etrailer.com and I just have to install it. It probably has predrilled holes. The estimated install time for my Honda Pilot is 40 min, I will let you know after this weekend

Sircrashalot

Should be cake as long as the truck has never been rear-ended with unibody damage (holes in hitch wont line up with holes in rails). Did one from etrailers.com on my Xterra a copuple years ago in less than 1/2 hour. Good luck getting everything back to normal....see you in the trails!

walter

Fourth Party
Are there any issues with rear hatch clearence with a hitch trailer?

Depending on what style rack you get, no. Most of the hitch racks you see either fold down by removing a pin, or are designed so that the hatch can open without moving the rack. I leave my rack on my car all the time, no hassle at all.

ellbiddy

Another question for you folk, the steer tube cap that clamps down the top of the stem and secures it a bit more to the actual steer tube...does that come with the fork or do I have to get it myself? I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I need to order to rebuild my fallen friends :p

Edit: nvm found it :p http://jensonusa.com/store/product/HS707Z03-Star+Nut.aspx

The only thing I've heard is that using a pipe cutter could flare out the top of the steer tube. Also, could I push the star nut through my other (broken) fork and reuse it?

Last edited:

ellbiddy

Hmm, I removed the fork without any issues with the only thing being left "stuck on" was the star nut. I'm assuming it comes with the fork, that driving tool seems good to push the nut through and recycle it although it's a bit short. A crown race looks like the "bottom half" of the headset and that thing came off without any issue. It's a cane creek headset, could be my ignorance on the matter, but I think all I need to move is that nut and cap.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The only thing I've heard is that using a pipe cutter could flare out the top of the steer tube. Also, could I push the star nut through my other (broken) fork and reuse it?

You can use a pipe cutter and then just file down the flare it creates, I have done it and it is easy but a hacksaw with the park cutting guide (or any guide) is preferred. Just pick up a new star nut at your lbs, if you push the other one through, you might bend the flanges and the steerer tube cap somes with the headset and you lbs should have a bunch sitting around...

ellbiddy

They're alive!

So my forks have finally come, I ordered a Float RLC and a F100 RLC for the two bikes. I also picked up a saw guide from performance for 9.99$ so hopefully I'll be back on the trails by next weekend...unless of course I hide my bikes in my office and start working on them at work :getsome:

Hopefully I don't butcher them. I also fixed my racks but I invested in a hitch and the thule ridgline hitch carrier for when I let the slow :drooling: people drive my car. Hope to see all the good work you guys have done!

ellbiddy

Finally! Just fixed both forks on both bikes.. pics are at:

http://files.awaa.info/fixed/

I really like how the hardtail came out looking, turning into a really nice bike it's amazing how much those cheapo forks weigh compared to those air sprung fox forks. All that's left for me to do is wait for the bleed kit to come today (which is why the EX8 doesn't have a front caliper/line/lever) and I'll just have to measure, cut, and bleed the front brake and I'll be fully back in business.

Edit: Btw, a mag lite battery housing is the perfect size for a race crown setter :-D

Last edited:

Maurice

Nice. Lesson learned? I carry my bikes inside the truck, or on a hitch rack (and live in fear of being rear-ended...). Sh*t happens.

Just curious, what are you doing with the broken fork? I'll get it off your hands for some $$ if the tubes/lowers are straight.

Cheers,

Maurice

ellbiddy

Lesson learned indeed, no one is allowed to drive my car but me ;).

The stanchion are straight, but the internals are a little bent, the lower end is in good shape besides the internals. I'm not sure what you can scrap from it, but I'd give it up for a few bucks if you wanted it. I was just going to bury it in my yard, have a nice little service heh ;)

walter

Fourth Party
Congrats on the repairs! Still cant quite comprehend how the parking deck came into play, but oh well.

Now go out and get both of those brand new bikes dirty!!!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions