Going Long and Hard.

In.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 11.26.38 AM.png

I was reading the website and it was like 2 degrees below! It looks like its an out and back of 88k each way. If I got it right it has about 800ft. of elev. WOW! Good luck and do your best we'll be rooting for ya!

I did this race last year 100% Self-Supported in Prep for the ITI. Like, I carried everything from start to finish and took zero supplies from anywhere. This year should be easier than that.

1/11

Went down and rode that South Jersey Gravel Loop. It was a lot of fun. Flat AF but there was enough sandy dirt and headwinds to break up the efforts. I could add more but my homie for the day was feeling it about 3 hours in.

20200111_130736.jpg
20200111_113454.jpg
20200111_112115.jpg
20200111_095316.jpg

4:08 total - Didn't weigh myself this morning because I had 4 slices of pizza yesterday.

Hmm. Interesting. Looks like this is down by Cape May. Is the loop totally gravel or is there a bunch of road?

On paper it's about 25% road. Mostly all at the beginning. The gravel sections are soft enough that the road breaks feel good when they come. The hardest sections are all right at the end along the water, brutal headwinds. The dudes from the local club say it's like that all the time.

1/12

Hit the gym while waiting for the rain to stop this morning. Did an hour and a half to make up for missing yesterday.

PSX_20200112_093959.jpg
20200112_093430.jpg

Then drove up to Mooch to do some Graveling. Sussex trail was beat to shit with trees down everywhere. Paulinskill was more of the same but with water. Jumped onto some other trail that turned into a swamp and I had to walk to the road. I took the road back. Was an adventure.

IMG_20200112_200155_711.jpg

IMG_20200112_200155_728.jpg

IMG_20200112_200155_712.jpg

5:15 total - 180.5lbs.

Jim- who designed that weight protocol for you. You do you but if i were to suggest anything. Pick up some REAL grippers! Grip has one of the highest representation in the nervous system. Yes, you can work tge crap out of your upper body with a gripper. I use Captain of Crush- i worked my way up to #1.5 and have a #2 in my desk drawer waiting for me.
http://www.ironmind.com/product-info/grip-strength-training-tools/captains-of-crush-grippers/

It's been cobbled together from various sources. I add and subtract things depending on how sore I am from the last one. None of it is cycling related, except for my leg and core things.

It's been cobbled together from various sources. I add and subtract things depending on how sore I am from the last one. None of it is cycling related, except for my leg and core things.

Nah. It all helps in one way or another. I’d say you’re setting up to handle a heavy bike. Lift it, push it, etc.

It is a mass building plan though which i thought you wouldn’t want. The high reps give it away but it is good for muscle endurance.

It is a mass building plan though which i thought you wouldn’t want. The high reps give it away but it is good for muscle endurance.

The time on the bike pretty much cancels out any size gains I would get doing this on it's own. My calorie deficits are always too high to put on any muscle, so it all just goes towards strength, muscle endurance, and most importantly, range of motion.

Here's today in Calories. To put on muscle I'd need to eat about 3,000 more calories for the day. I'm basically just staying the same size and weight, but leaner and denser. It looks a little like I have some gains but I'm just losing fat and the muscle is coming through. I did lose 4 inches off my waist though.

Screenshot_20200112-210140_MyFitnessPal.jpg

For you its more that you dont do weights year round otherwise you would put muscle on- because you’re built like that son! That article makes sense but what it fails to mention is body type and muscle fiber. It’s assuming the said endurance athlete is some like Woody- 6’2, 180lbs. with a 32 inch inseam. In regards to cycling, im a mesomorph playing an ectomorph’s game!
26DA9343-BF76-40C3-A863-4FDCD09C3ACD.jpeg

Same. 5'9" 180 pounds. I've stopped thinking about being Cyclist thin a long time ago and just play to my strengths. Not that numbers are exciting in any way, but my current FTP is 390 watts. That puts my w/Kg at 4.77 which is fine for Cat1.

The Endurance side of things of course is a lot different as I can sit at around 3 -3.5w/Kg.

Either way, training for the ITI has almost nothing to do with cycling fitness. I need to work on using the muscle fibers, under the muscle fibers, under those muscle fibers, so I have a back-up, back-up, back-up plan.

We all just watched Alex DNF Fat Pursuit because he only brought a world class cycling fitness to the game.

Back
Top Bottom