Going into Hibernation Mode

Trails would be icey and slow. Ill probally hit the road.

Early starts are usually pretty good in the woods...The ground is frozen and fast...The road can be rough in the winter but I'll let an experienced roadie go into more detail

Early starts are usually pretty good in the woods...The ground is frozen and fast...The road can be rough in the winter but I'll let an experienced roadie go into more detail

I am far from an experienced road but I hit the road all last winter and ran into some pretty sketchy conditions at times. The thing about the road is that is it is below freezing (or even close) you can get black ice and things like that, especially riding at night. trails are the better option in inclement weather.

This is my first "real " winter after spending all my winters in Israel.
So I'm thrilled to see if I could manage keep riding here all year long ...
for now - I'm planning keep on the bike at least once a week .

Riding during the week gets hard for me this time of year, trails are mushy, its dark after work, I'm no morning bird. I start to utilize the trainer for some time on the bike. Thanks to ChrisG for the deathmarch trainer workouts.. :getsome:

Once the trails freeze solid I'll be happy, if that happens this year. Until then, its road rides on the weekends and the trainer during the week. Group rides in the winter are the best. We had a few rides in the teens last year, its always fun to have some friends with you to share the experience.

If you ride really fast at night with a helmet light while its snowing, it looks like your traveling through space.... :)

As much as I am not a fan of the short days and the cold, I really get into training in the winter. Weekends ideally include one long road ride and one super-fun group ride in the woods. Fixed gear on the road during December and January. During the week, I ride right after school in Frost Woods, hit the trainer and rollers, and climb in the gym. If we get enough snow, I break out the snowshoes and trekking poles and beat myself to death with those.

This past December & January I managed just over 75 hours of training, though the weather was superb last winter. We'll see what this year will offer.

Ehhh im not too thrilled about the cold, but I dont want to stop riding. Trails would be icey and slow.

You mean icy and FAST! A frozen trail is fast fast fast.

Often times you can get out early and be done just as the trails begin to soften. :hmmm:

I made the investment in some better winter clothing this year. I am looking to get out as much as possible. I especially look forward to some rides in the snow on the cross bike.

There are always the tourture devices eg. the trainer and quite possibly I may pick up a set of rollers.

Nothing beats group rides in the woods!

i love riding in the winter. like ben said - superfast frozen trails. its also a great time to hit those technical trails you have issues with. i dialed in my lines at the sourlands during last winter. the snow and ice filled the gaps between the rocks a bit and made it a little easier. as the snow melted away, i stayed with the lines i could make in the winter and now i have fewer spots that trip me up.

doing a solo ride in the winter is great too - you get a nice feeling of 'loneliness' when its cold, breezy, and grey.

as long as you dress in layers, its great fun. i don't have fancy clothes - i sometimes look like a homeless person out there - but i'm comfortable.

i am going to try to get out and ski this winter a couple times, but its hard to convince myself to drive far and pay money to do something when i could bike for free right around the corner.

this is also the time to surf. fewer people in the water means there are fewer people to bump into. also, you have any beach to hit up - no lifeguards telling you where and when you can surf.

Last edited:
Simple plan: shed pounds, build muscle. Ride thru the winter, plot a trip to a warmer climate at some point for relief.
I started weight training 4 weeks ago. Might pick up a trainer.

Back
Top Bottom