Generic Pro Road Cycling Thread

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah he’s a fantastic climber and if it was a mountain top finish I’d be all in... But it wasn’t, and he’s not a great descender… like at all. And there was what, 5 maybe 7 km of flat at the end of the course. He had zero chance to maintain a gap under those conditions. It’s just not smart racing.
It was the general consensus of the recap people that his attack was pointless and even more so that he crashed. However, apparently Mas cannot descend AT ALL, so possible he was looking to do damage him.

Also: which is harder to pronounce, the current leaders name or his team name?

EIKING, Odd Christian (INTERMARCHÉ-WANTY-GOBERT MATÉRIAUX)

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG

“I think it’s a bit too easy to talk about a few seconds. At the moment of the crash, he was close to half a minute up, and even with the crash he still gained more than half a minute on [Egan] Bernal and [Adam] Yates. That’s not a small gap,” Engels told Eurosport and other journalists in Antequera.

“It’s a bit risky but cycling is also risky. If he didn’t make the attack, then somebody else may have and he still would have had to do a fast descent… It could also happen when he is in the wheels of the other guys. It is risky but as Primož said after the finish ‘no risk, no glory’. It is something to admire that he is willing to race like this.”

This makes sense to me, and it made for great watching. I still feel it wasn't exactly smart, but I dig the attitude. Good on him.
apparently Mas cannot descend AT ALL, so possible he was looking to do damage him.
Yep, MAL dragged him all the way down that descent.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Today's Vuelta stage was interesting. Miguel Angel Lopez of Movistar got caught out on early attacks - as did Egan Bernal - and fell off the podium (he was in third at the start of the day behind Roglic and his teammate Enrique Mas.) They were bleeding time the rest of the day. But late in the day, out of fear that if he continued to pull Bernal back to the lead group he'd put Mas's in jeopardy, his director told him to stop chasing so hard. According to reports, Lopez got angry about this and quit. They tried to talk him into continuing - both his director and some of his teammates - to no avail. I imagine there will be some angry words at the Movistar meetings tonight. I think if I were one of his teammates out there, and thought about how I worked for him during the last 20 stages only to have him quit one day before the end, I'd be really pissed off. Cycling is still supposed to be a team sport. Finish the damn race!

Ian F

Roglic and his team rode that race to perfection. He probably made a few friends as well. I'm certain Roglic could have been in red for the majority of the race had he tried, but instead let a couple of other riders have it for quite awhile, thus giving those riders and teams good exposure. This also took the pressure off his team to keep the race under control. When the time came, he took the jersey back with authority. A great strategy executed to perfection.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Um… I don’t think that’s how you spell that country. Did I miss a memo? :shrug:

Edit: it’s a radio station. Nice. Whats next. EF brought to you by WKRP Cincinnati?

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So I have Tirreno-Adriatico on the iPad and I glance up and I see a Nacer Bouhanni churning away in the time trial position and I can’t help staring at his awkward pedaling form. His knees are flailing about in an irregular pattern. Yes, he’s been DQ’d in the past for getting totally dropped in the TTT but damn!

9A872F91-D0F6-414B-B76E-51BAB068CE2C.png

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Milan San Reno is tomorrow. I think the classics are going to be awesome. So many guys have a great chance.

A wout ,mvdp, Julian, pidcock, and tadej(!) throw down would be great. I don’t even know off they’re all going to race though. MVDP looks like he’ll make his debut and honestly any time you have him and wout it’s almost can’t miss tv. As far as a bike race goes.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Quick take SPOILERS.

Mohoric earned it with the ballsiest downhill I’ve seen in a while.

MVDP is way better than I thought he would be at this point.

Roglic was useless to Wout when he was supposed to be his ace. Especially alter Wout single-handedly saved Nice for him. Wout should be pissed but not surprised.

Tadej couldn’t get the gap he needed on the poggio and stopped trying when things got dicey on the downhill.

Everyone else is sick.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Quick take SPOILERS.

Roglic was useless to Wout when he was supposed to be his ace. Especially alter Wout single-handedly saved Nice for him. Wout should be pissed but not surprised.

Tadej couldn’t get the gap he needed on the poggio and stopped trying when things got dicey on the downhill.

Everyone else is sick.
I thought he was going to blow up and get caught but he did a great job of making it stick.

It seemed like pogacar was going out hard early season for a grand tour gc guy, but his schedule looks light for may-June.

krink

Eddie Munster
Quick take SPOILERS.

Everyone else is sick.
Can’t agree more. Seeing him hop back out of that ditch 2’ from that stone wall and not slow down, then overcook the next 3 switchbacks. Helluva descent. Loved seeing the peloton refuse to pull back to him.

Top Bottom