Geax Saguaros

Shaggz

A strong 7
Love the tire, but the traction is terrible on slick rocks and roots. Running 24/26 F/R, 181 lbs. Is this an issue with the tire in general or is PSI too high?

it's the tire

Love the tire, but the traction is terrible on slick rocks and roots. Running 24/26 F/R, 181 lbs. Is this an issue with the tire in general or is PSI too high?

the saguaro doesn't like wet rocks and roots at any pressure for any rider... I'll say that you might can even drop that down a bit more - that tire can run ridiculously low pressure (I was using Stans wheels)... I ran this tire for 2 years at 20-23psi at 180lbs at places like Chimney Rock...

I sold mine and moved on. For me, they were good for 6-mile, but that was about it. Others swear by them. Meh.

I don't think any tire really makes a difference on wet rocks. I do think your PSI is way too high in order for them to hook on rocks though.

See how much lower you can run before bottoming out on the downhills.

BS there are tires that work on the wet but those tires are the SUCK! You knew that was coming :D

Ok .. I'll bite. I have as much time on these tires as anyone. They are tough, roll fast and work better than most as an all around tire. I have tested a ton of tires and these and the weirwolf tcs are my go to at this point.

SO .. What tire has a true tubeless ready casing, tough enough sidewall, rolls fast and works well on wet rocks and roots??

I haven't had much experience with 29er tubeless except for Geax.
But I find the Saguro to be a good compromise between speed and grip.
I've never had an issue with them.
But I only have that tire in the back. I'm 190 lbs & run around 25 psi in back.

EXO Ignitor is my favorite tire but you'd be hard pressed to find a lower maintenance tire than a TNT Saguaro (it's just twice the weight haha)... I did nothing to that tire for 2 years other than add air and sealant.... nothing compares to that TNT sidewall... I have no experience with TCS but EXO is a B while TNT is an A for sure...

@ Shaggz

I would agree with Pearl. I don't see why you couldn't drop down to the 18-20psi without a problem. If that doesn't work then possibly other tires.

When my die I am going to try something new.

EXO Ignitor is my favorite tire

I love the grip of the exo, but I have four sitting in my garage with tread punctures that Stan's sealant will not fix. I'm back to the Bonty 2.25 29-3 team issue tire. Anyone who would like 3 for free exo's (they are fine tubed) give me a shout.

High volume tires with low air pressure work best on wet rocks and roots. Bontrager 29-3 2.25.

TNTs - new rubber. They have been great in dry conditions, and I don't want to give up on them just yet. Going to try to drop the pressure and see what happens.

Maybe?

A maxxis made On-One offering

http://twentynineinches.com/2012/07/22/on-one-smorgasbord-2-25-tires-out-of-the-box/

I am playing with you Geax heads if you like those boat anchors more power, I found them to suck up here. As a matter of fact I had better traction with Ravens then the geax. Compound seems to harsh and when they wear just useless. Tires are personal and really there aren't any real good 29er ones yet like 26er offerings. Agree the WTB weirwolf as a good durable tire along with maxxis Ardent 2.4

Maybe?

A maxxis made On-One offering

http://twentynineinches.com/2012/07/22/on-one-smorgasbord-2-25-tires-out-of-the-box/

I am playing with you Geax heads if you like those boat anchors more power, I found them to suck up here. As a matter of fact I had better traction with Ravens then the geax. Compound seems to harsh and when they wear just useless. Tires are personal and really there aren't any real good 29er ones yet like 26er offerings. Agree the WTB weirwolf as a good durable tire along with maxxis Ardent 2.4

I'm with you Matty. Ardent has been pretty solid and I'm currently digging the Conti Trail King 2.4. It's not tubeless ready but the sidewall is pretty beefy and they have been holding up great tubeless matched with Stan's Flow rims.

I've run saguaros for 2 years and they're a good all around tire, but don't corner great at speed and do well on wet rocks like mentioned. However, they last nearly forever. Possibly the rubber is harder and that's why they don't hook up as well as other tires, but if you don't wanna replace tires often and just need something to log miles with I highly recommend the sagauros. I like the maxxis ardent and ignitors for better grip, but maxxis tires seem to wear very fast. Michelin wild racer seems to be a decent all around tire as well and has a little more grip than saguaro.

I love the grip of the exo, but I have four sitting in my garage with tread punctures that Stan's sealant will not fix. I'm back to the Bonty 2.25 29-3 team issue tire. Anyone who would like 3 for free exo's (they are fine tubed) give me a shout.

Clapper don't give up on these just yet. Norm told me he had the same tread puncture issues...or maybe it was Kirt?

Anyway they told me that if the tire flats on the tread let it sit deflated over night on the rim with enough stan's in the tire. Then pump it up again a day later and it should hold air. Its worth a shot, better then having to buy 3 new tires.

or patch the tire.

Back
Top Bottom