Gas powered bikes?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
For music, what are you kids doing?
Due to years of stupid, I wear earplugs on any longer ride. I would need a good set of noise cancelling earbuds if that's the plan.
There are various handlebar mounted speaker systems about.
In-helmet speakers sucked ten years ago, maybe better now?
I could just zip tie my JBL Flip to the bars?
Thx!
Although I agree with @EJphotos i still pop on music during long solo rides.

I use old school 3M foamies for ear plugs with a Cardo system in the helmet. Sound is great even with the ear plugs. I just pop Spotify on and hit it. Just put the phone on do not disturb so nothing else comes through.

It’s also nice if you need google maps for directions.

michvin

Due to years of stupid, I wear earplugs on any longer ride. I would need a good set of noise cancelling earbuds if that's the plan.
Thx!
Sometimes I play music through the Sena in-helmet speakers, but music over noise while wearing earplugs is not my favorite experience, so most of time I don't listen to music. But I am old...

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Although I agree with @EJphotos i still pop on music during long solo rides.

I use old school 3M foamies for ear plugs with a Cardo system in the helmet. Sound is great even with the ear plugs. I just pop Spotify on and hit it. Just put the phone on do not disturb so nothing else comes through.

It’s also nice if you need google maps for directions.
Cardo has a very large catalog of options. This might take a while.

@EJphotos is not wrong, but tunes are fun on longer rides also. I've had in-helmet speakers before and they sucked, but this was many years ago. Will research.

@michvin is accurate, with the overall noise level and wearing hearplugs, it's a lot for a small speaker to overcome and still sound good.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Cardo has a very large catalog of options. This might take a while.

@EJphotos is not wrong, but tunes are fun on longer rides also. I've had in-helmet speakers before and they sucked, but this was many years ago. Will research.

@michvin is accurate, with the overall noise level and wearing hearplugs, it's a lot for a small speaker to overcome and still sound good.
I’m a music snob - major one - and am very happy with the sound I have. I have the Cardo Freecom 4+. I think the helmet noise makes a big difference - I always go for the quietest helmets since I have major hearing damage.

olegbabich

Thx!
Etymotic Earbuds

Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

Thx!
Headers, good exhaust and decent mufflers

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
What is the quietest one, in your opinion?
So far the Shoei RF line for me is pretty quiet. I had a Fly Racing that was decent, but compared to the Shoei it’s loud. I have a Shoei GT Air that’s ok.

My Biltwell Gringo on the other hand - that’s a different story - pretty damn loud. But what can you expect with a massive opening, but it’s great in the summer with goggles for dealing with the heat.

The Shoei has the speakers as does the Fly. The Gringo has nothing but the goggles as an accessory.

My wife has a Fly with the comm unit too. It’s nice to be able to speak to each other when she is on the pillion seat. She’s starting to learn to ride herself so I can talk to her while we are going around the neighborhood.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Etymotic Earbuds
I looked at them. One thing I’ve noticed is regular earplugs with like a insert tab, if they touch the foam of the liner they seem to channel noise from the shell. Maybe just the lid I had at that time. There are noise canceling buds out there….

michvin

I looked at them. One thing I’ve noticed is regular earplugs with like a insert tab, if they touch the foam of the liner they seem to channel noise from the shell. Maybe just the lid I had at that time. There are noise canceling buds out there….
I had a pair and they broke two weeks in. Customer service was great: they just sent the replacement. However, they do not protect well from the noise IMHO. NoNoises (the orange ones) work better

michvin

So far the Shoei RF line for me is pretty quiet. I had a Fly Racing that was decent, but compared to the Shoei it’s loud. I have a Shoei GT Air that’s ok.

My Biltwell Gringo on the other hand - that’s a different story - pretty damn loud. But what can you expect with a massive opening, but it’s great in the summer with goggles for dealing with the heat.

The Shoei has the speakers as does the Fly. The Gringo has nothing but the goggles as an accessory.

My wife has a Fly with the comm unit too. It’s nice to be able to speak to each other when she is on the pillion seat. She’s starting to learn to ride herself so I can talk to her while we are going around the neighborhood.
I see, thanks. I have the Shoei Neotech II (the modular). I was hoping that it would be really quiet because the neck roll is real close to the neck - but no. It is manageable, but not perfect. Wife has Shoei RF-1100 (or 1200?) and she is pretty happy with it, but I serve as a windbreaker for her (she is not riding alone) maybe that's why.
I also have Arai Signet X - this one is the best, I think

the schwartz

If anyone is interested in riding send me a DM

I'll ride with you in 6-8 weeks...
Low speed get off at the Lost Trails in Eastern pa, courtesy of a babyhead. Metatarsal x3

KIMG0624.JPG

Ear plugs: I've never found anything I consider better overall than the yellow and pink Howard Leight foam plugs.

I do have, and recommend, Loop earplugs. They don't have as high a decibel rating but they're the lowest profile I've ever found, no issues with them touching the helmet liner, and I find the noise reduction adequate. I replaced the tips with some foam ones from Amazon and very happy with it.

Top Bottom