Gas powered bikes?

mfennell

Back when I raced my pit buddy had one of these. Fun, obviously not fast but fun. Much heavier than the real 250GP bikes but easier to maintain. If you need any hints I can probably check with my bud. Gorgeous bike, ride it like you stole it!

Back in the day I cornerworked CSS to get free track time, the drills are pretty useful. They have dates coming up in August.

Another idea is instead of the school format you can sign up for a regular track day, seek out a friendly coach, and ask them for pointers.
That's cool about your buddy! Think he has any old spares lying around? Never know what you might need.

I found out an acquaintance of mine used to teach at CSS. They would fly him around to different tracks during the season.

I've been having fun with the Aprilia. It has these weird contraptions called car-potatoes or something. I can't find the OBD2 plug! Messed up sh*t man.

My first couple rides were...smokey. When you can see a blue trail in your wake through the little mirrors at part throttle 7000rpm cruise, you know you have potato problems. It was so ridiculous, I made a pretty big change right away. I dropped 3 sizes, from 420/410 to 390/380 (it uses different jets for each cylinder). HUGE improvement everywhere. Launch massively improved (this is a relative measure - a casual leave still happens at 5000rpm), it actually sort-of pulls from 6000. It doesn't fall into a hole at 8000 before coming on the pipe. Less EPA-attracting smoke level.

It's really loud. I have other loud vehicles but you don't start this one up cold and idle out of the neighborhood. You pull it out, close the garage door so your garage doesn't fill with smoke (a mistake you'll only make once), kick it over, blip the throttle at 3-4k until some temp registers on the digital gauge, then slip the clutch at 5000rpm all the way up the driveway. I have some bigger/longer mufflers coming from Tyga in Thailand next week. It will never be quiet but I'm hoping it will be less obnoxious.

The seller gave me a package of stickers. I finally pulled them out and found two full bike's worth of OEM stickers! Almost everything, down to warning labels. Crazy.
stickers-sm.jpg

ebarker9

I'm also considering selling my bike. I just barely ride it so it seems like a waste to hang on to it and I feel like I have enough other things to maintain. It's a 2008 SV650N, blue with only 6500 miles. I may post in the "for sale" section but figured I'd mention it here first in case anyone is really interested. Still emotionally having a hard time envisioning getting rid of it 😭

IMG_20200606_154839.jpg

michvin

Whatcha got?

I’m actually swapping mine. The Enfield I have is listed on FB marketplace. Gonna swap it out for a Street Triple.

The RE is really nice, and I have a bunch of mods on it, but my midlife says get the triple I’ve always wanted.
I had '15 Striple. Regret selling it very much, but i was doing too much two-up riding to justify keeping it.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's cool about your buddy! Think he has any old spares lying around? Never know what you might need.

I found out an acquaintance of mine used to teach at CSS. They would fly him around to different tracks during the season.

I've been having fun with the Aprilia. It has these weird contraptions called car-potatoes or something. I can't find the OBD2 plug! Messed up sh*t man.

My first couple rides were...smokey. When you can see a blue trail in your wake through the little mirrors at part throttle 7000rpm cruise, you know you have potato problems. It was so ridiculous, I made a pretty big change right away. I dropped 3 sizes, from 420/410 to 390/380 (it uses different jets for each cylinder). HUGE improvement everywhere. Launch massively improved (this is a relative measure - a casual leave still happens at 5000rpm), it actually sort-of pulls from 6000. It doesn't fall into a hole at 8000 before coming on the pipe. Less EPA-attracting smoke level.

It's really loud. I have other loud vehicles but you don't start this one up cold and idle out of the neighborhood. You pull it out, close the garage door so your garage doesn't fill with smoke (a mistake you'll only make once), kick it over, blip the throttle at 3-4k until some temp registers on the digital gauge, then slip the clutch at 5000rpm all the way up the driveway. I have some bigger/longer mufflers coming from Tyga in Thailand next week. It will never be quiet but I'm hoping it will be less obnoxious.

The seller gave me a package of stickers. I finally pulled them out and found two full bike's worth of OEM stickers! Almost everything, down to warning labels. Crazy.
View attachment 186323
I mentioned it to my buddy (I forget he has two, one with a big bore aka 300 that his wife rides). He's probably out in the garage now getting his running again so I won't hear from him for another month. ;)

ekuhn

I'm also considering selling my bike. I just barely ride it so it seems like a waste to hang on to it and I feel like I have enough other things to maintain. It's a 2008 SV650N, blue with only 6500 miles. I may post in the "for sale" section but figured I'd mention it here first in case anyone is really interested. Still emotionally having a hard time envisioning getting rid of it 😭

View attachment 186364
My buddy had a Gen 1 SV650. That thing was a blast to ride!

mfennell

I mentioned it to my buddy (I forget he has two, one with a big bore aka 300 that his wife rides). He's probably out in the garage now getting his running again so I won't hear from him for another month. ;)
A 300 kit? That's awesome. Not cheap/easy.

Dropped the mains down two more steps. It's becoming a little ripper.

It's perfect for a quick after work blast. Lots of drama but you're not actually going that fast. A BMW 1000RRRRR goes 100mph in first gear. You can't even run out ONE gear. I can get 3 or 4 rips to redline and still be in the sweet spot of "not going to die" and "a lawyer can get me out of this".

mfennell

At the risk of being even more of an attention whore:

Most of that smoke clears up once it's truly warm.

First start after adjusting needles and installing mufflers. Light throttle operation at 5-7k is really nice. Rolling on for a full throttle blast, it has a flat spot around 8500, then rips to 12k or so. Honestly have no idea where my jetting is on the rich/lean scale. Fortunately, I just discovered that the shop 40 FEET from my buddy's motorcycle hang out has a dyno. I doubt they know sh*t about 2 strokes - Harley shop - but it's still a million times better than me blasting up the road wondering what's going on.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

First start after adjusting needles and installing mufflers. Light throttle operation at 5-7k is really nice. Rolling on for a full throttle blast, it has a flat spot around 8500, then rips to 12k or so. Honestly have no idea where my jetting is on the rich/lean scale. Fortunately, I just discovered that the shop 40 FEET from my buddy's motorcycle hang out has a dyno. I doubt they know sh*t about 2 strokes - Harley shop - but it's still a million times better than me blasting up the road wondering what's going on.

This has got to be one of the coolest bikes I have heard in a while. I dig it.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A 300 kit? That's awesome. Not cheap/easy.

Dropped the mains down two more steps. It's becoming a little ripper.

It's perfect for a quick after work blast. Lots of drama but you're not actually going that fast. A BMW 1000RRRRR goes 100mph in first gear. You can't even run out ONE gear. I can get 3 or 4 rips to redline and still be in the sweet spot of "not going to die" and "a lawyer can get me out of this
Kinda like a Miata, handles good, fun to drive, but you don't have to go warp speed to feel fast.

My buddy says the 316 kit is a terrible idea, one overrev and things run out of clearance rapidly.

ekuhn

BimmerClinic / Maximum PSI in South Amboy has a few smart engine guys and a dyno and may be able to assist you. Ask for Mike R.

BTW - cool fuckin ride.

mfennell

I decided to haul this in the truck down to local car show Saturday night. I’ll show the truck and bike together

View attachment 186784
Whaaaa? What are we looking at?

Coincidentally, my buddy just got a 6,000 mile Z1 that has been sitting in some guys living room for 20 years! Unbelievable condition. He said the guy had owned 17 Z1s and had 4 in his living room! 'Only' 3 now, I guess.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For music, what are you kids doing?
Due to years of stupid, I wear earplugs on any longer ride. I would need a good set of noise cancelling earbuds if that's the plan.
There are various handlebar mounted speaker systems about.
In-helmet speakers sucked ten years ago, maybe better now?
I could just zip tie my JBL Flip to the bars?
Thx!

EJphotos

For music, what are you kids doing?
Due to years of stupid, I wear earplugs on any longer ride. I would need a good set of noise cancelling earbuds if that's the plan.
There are various handlebar mounted speaker systems about.
In-helmet speakers sucked ten years ago, maybe better now?
I could just zip tie my JBL Flip to the bars?
Thx!
The engine is the music

Top Bottom