Garmin watch?

JDurk

I too have been considering the Fenix 6 as they are availablefor a decent price. The 7 is still too high for me to justify. Currently using a Vivoactive 4 which does a lot of daily fitness tracking. It's more on the everyday casual look. Doesn't seem as rugged for someone who's in your line of work.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd consider @seanrunnette wahoo if I could get a clear cut answer if it will work on my orbea but struggling to find that answer.
What's the question? Assuming it's an e bike thing? If the Wahoo fails on any level, it's the sleep/body battery type stuff. Pretty much everyone has them beat on that. I've gone over to a Coros, but you may be best served by a Garmin. Plug and play.

Last edited:

Mahnken

I've got a Fenix 6x Sapphire. I have no complaints and use it for everything, even the bike. Haven't yet got a bike mount for it, but I might eventually. I use a chest strap for heart rate while exercising, but the wrist hr works fine for everyday monitoring.

If y have blue cross blue shield insurance, you can get 20% off most of the Garmin watches.

Mahnken

This is the best part, I never have been a watch person ever so I wouldn't know, lol. I do have large wrist so this is good to know. I do want to follow my health stats though, read "heart." I've been experiencing some irregularities since covid and have some family history.
I'm not sure any of the fitness watches are good for detecting any heart arrhythmias. Some offer an ECG mode which can detect A-Fib, but that's it. And they won't detect anything on their own, you have to sit still with your hands on the watch for a minute or two. I have arrhythmias occasionally, mostly PACs, but there isn't a watch out there that would tell me that. I'd see a cardiologist, get an real EKG reading, and maybe get put on a monitor for a week or a month. I had to wear a monitor after having A-Fib for a few days. You probably wouldn't need a watch to tell you you have A-Fib, I could feel it the second it started. Went to the ER after giving myself an EKG to confirm, lol.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think something like Apple Watch is the way to go if you really care about real EKG. That being said the new Garmin watches seem to have EKG going on behind the hood and they are actively working on it so it may be something coming out officially in the next few months as features. Basically from what DCRainmaker had Garmin is collecting data in the background so it can be compared to the actual studied data.

If you're looking for specific features, 100% verify the watch you're looking at has those features. For instance I really like my Forerunner 245M, it does biking, screen mirrors to my Edge but it doesn't hookup to a power meter. Whatever for me but that is a dealbreaker for some people and would need to step up to a 745/945. I wouldn't be surprised if EBike features are not on the lower-end models, or maybe on a Vivo but not Forerunner, etc. Joy got the Forerunner 45 and while it's really similar to the 245 it's missing a bunch of analytics features. Would never even know they were missing if I didn't have them on my watch.

Also, whatever ecosystem you are in may play a key factor. If you like Garmin, save your stuff to Garmin, I'd say stick with them. If you don't care there's other watches out there like the Coros which have a ton of features at a great price, but could be missing some of the features you want.

REI is probably the only local store that has a good selection of the watches to try on for size. If you have huge wrists it definitely helps open up your options as the higher end watches tend to be huge.

WTF does the watch even do with an eBike?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
WTF does the watch even do with an eBike?
Screenshot_20220316-125249_Chrome.jpg
It's not just a bike it's a smart bike
It breaks down boat loads of info.
Cadence is actually important for achieving optimal battery life. Yes I am a caveman and will probably just ride the bike but I can get nerdy at times. The display it comes with is small and too far away for my one semi good eye.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 180882
It's not just a bike it's a smart bike
It breaks down boat loads of info.
Cadence is actually important for achieving optimal battery life. Yes I am a caveman and will probably just ride the bike but I can get nerdy at times. The display it comes with is small and too far away for my one semi good eye.
Looks like you want both a watch and a bar mounted unit.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not necessarily as it seems Fenix 6/745 and up display the same needs as a head unit. I will lose a head unit most definitely watch not so likely.
Are the bike controls really that small that a watch will be easier to see? I’ve tried to go solo watch and never use my head unit, but I just go back to my 830.

For fitness tracking a Fitbit is the way to go. No ant or external sensors but for sleep and heart data, it’s the best at the price point.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are the bike controls really that small that a watch will be easier to see? I’ve tried to go solo watch and never use my head unit, but I just go back to my 830.

For fitness tracking a Fitbit is the way to go. No ant or external sensors but for sleep and heart data, it’s the best at the price point.
Honestly I just need to get on the trails first and go from there.

Over the Bars

Having the topo maps on the fenix is awesome and there's a trail forks app for it so you can follow other people's routes or make your own for turn by turn navigation

Sevenz

I have my old fenix 5 that is still in great condition. Bezel shows some wear and the top right button is not as smooth as it used to be. It is fully functional and battery life is still great. I'd drop it in the mail for $150

4Besf1y.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ended up ordering a Instinct 2 solar
Saw one and tried it on and has way more then I need 🤣

OddTrickStar

I’ve been thinking of getting a fitness watch and started looking at Garmin. Not a big watch wearer or gadget guy in general but i want the sleep, heart and oxygen monitoring stuff to go along with the gps etc when riding. Overwhelming how much these things do, not sure how much I need a touch screen even. Looking at a venu 2 (maybe even slim version) or the forerunner 745, might go stop at REI to try some on. It’s gotta be comfortable.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a vivoactive 4. I like it...The heartrate data isnt great. It works well when im resting, but cant seem to track my HR well when im working out. The sleep data is near useless....it never tracks when im awake at night. But I really like it for doing gym workouts, tracking steps, gets messages....I mean I guess telling time too

Top Bottom