Garmin Edge 530 questions

Yeah, my screen changed by it's self today, what da hell?
Maybe it's in the settings and warning section, I'm still figuring it out.
Also when my ride was done I hit the lower right button to stop recording the ride, but it kept recording. Took 6/6 tries to make it stop

it's a touch screen, right? mine got overly sensitive and changed willy nilly

Yeah, my screen changed by it's self today, what da hell?
Maybe it's in the settings and warning section, I'm still figuring it out.
Also when my ride was done I hit the lower right button to stop recording the ride, but it kept recording. Took 6/6 tries to make it stop

adjust the touch screen sensitivity, sometimes sweat would change the screen on my 1000 (ok, alot in the summer), my 1030 has been MUCH better, i think the screen adjustments have been the key.

EDIT:

didnt see this
no, 530 is NOT a touch screen, that's why I said it must be in the settings

not sure what to suggest then. . . .

isn't the 1000 yuuge?? it will kill my aero ?
?????

nah 1000 is pretty reasonable, too bad they dont make it anymore, the 1030 is on the larger side, but you can get most of the features that i think you would want with the 830 which is pretty much the same size as the 530. (you also save some $$$ going with the 830 instead of the 1030)

@Kaleidopete did you mean 830 or did i miss the release of the next round of devices already?

?????

nah 1000 is pretty reasonable, too bad they dont make it anymore, the 1030 is on the larger side, but you can get most of the features that i think you would want with the 830 which is pretty much the same size as the 530. (you also save some $$$ going with the 830 instead of the 1030)

@Kaleidopete did you mean 830 or did i miss the release of the next round of devices already?
I meant 830, sorry

Well I'm still working on it. I loaded the Trailforks maps in for NJ & NY and went into Activity Profile and disabled three of the four original Garmin maps and I enabled the two new Trailforks maps. Went for a ride and I realized I selected the wrong profile, I used Mountain bike instead of Trailforks profile. I realized this because Garmin was displaying the words riding on *** trail but showed no trail on the map for it, just my moving arrow. So I stopped and changed it to the Trailforks profile. Still didn't work. It recorded moving time, but no miles and my moving arrow was no longer moving. I then tried the combination of the four original maps plus my two Trailforks maps all loaded into the Mountain bike profile. Still not showing trails, just major roads. It seems like the up to date Trailforks map I paid $15 for and downloaded might not be as good as the maps others get when they pair their phone. Maybe I'm wrong. I recall a rider I met last week as he was entering a park and his 530 was displaying the trails ahead perfectly. He also mentioned he had never been in this park before. I later saw his Strava and his ride went just fine, he found and rode all the trails in the park just like his Garmin told him to. That is my goal, to have a map displayed for a new area and have me be able to ride it. All my testing so far has been on trails that I already know, so I can confirm Garmin is doing it's job. So far it's a big fail. I'll keep trying.

in order to change profiles i believe you have to stop recording and start a new ride (at least thats how i recall it being on my 1000, will have to try on the 1030). So you may have forgotten to hit the start button after you changed the profile.

Another test today and things are getting better. I didn't ask too much of Garmin today,
I just turned it on and selected the Trailforks profile. I didn't ask any more, like recording my ride.
The map displayed fine and I could see roads and some trails. at the top of the screen it said "riding on such n such".
Perfect, after a while I selected to zoom in by 1 power and that caused the "riding on ***" to go away. Some unofficial
trails were not displayed, which I'm fine with. My next experiment will be to have Garmin actually track my ride. I still
have to figure out how I want it to start recording, manual, or start automatic at 6mph, or a third choice I forget right now.
We are progressing here!

I noticed today that street names were not appearing on my 530.
I reinstalled the map and it seems to be fine now. I guess something got screwy on the previous map update.

4/30
Today I find I can no longer add a course to the Garmin. I put the gpx file in the “new folder” on the Garmin, but when I reboot the Garmin that course file does not appear. That is the procedure I used last week to install the other 5 courses that are now in the unit. What is supposed to happen is you drag a gpx file from your computer drive into the ‘new folder” on Garmin and then when you reboot Garmin it converts that file into a fit file and puts it in the “courses folder” . I can see my older course files in that “courses folder” So I converted my gpx file to a fit file and deposited that in the “courses folder”. Rebooted Garmin and it now shows as a selectable course file, but unfortunately it must be corrupt, it shows no miles or map or time. This Garmin 530 is proving to be very finicky, especially for a new user like me. It’s bad enough to learn something new, but when it keeps screwing around it makes it worse.

I have a course named Cascade3 and I want to add a course named Cascade Lookout, I don't think Garmin likes that, because I
also added courses for Goose Pond and Green Turtle Pond and both of those went in fine. BUT, when I did add them I also added
Cascade Lookout again and that wouldn't go in. Maybe because some of it has the same info as Cascade3. Still workin' on it here.

I bought a road bike and it has these parts with it. Plus a wahoo speed sensor on the rear hub. What the heck is all this stuff? Can I make use of it and how? Note, I don’t have a Garmin or wahoo unit.
70051E0A-174C-48E4-A6AF-8DF50A1D39A0.jpeg
C7823CC8-0226-48C0-8FA7-307CFEE200C3.jpeg
3698749F-00AD-4E90-AD47-0D085BCDE427.jpeg

looks like a speed/cadence sensor (could also be cadence only, since there is a speed sensor on there too), most likely ant+, if you have any headunit/computer that reads an ant+ signal you should be able to see it, the magnet on the crankarm is so the sensor can see your crank as it goes around, there should be one on the rear wheel too.

Back
Top Bottom