Garmin Edge 530 questions

Kaleidopete

So I ordered my new Edge 530 on 4/12.
Got it 4/20 set it up with Trailforks account and it says synced OK.
Kind of hard (for me) to figure out, but it works.
Yesterday I used it but it kept going into sleep mode, I figured how to prevent that in the menu.
Today I used it for my 16 mile ride. I had it on map screen. Going down Clinton road it would show me other streets
and SOME trails, like Old Coal trail and Highlands trail and Stevens road. But other trails along the roadway it did not
see. Like Bearfort trail, Wildcat, Clinton West, Hanks Pond tr, Red trail by Buckabear. Even some trails I was riding on
it didn't show. My Trailforks account map does show these trails, and the Garmin says it's up to date with Trailforks.
What's wrong? Why don't my local trails show?
Anyway, as of today the Garmin died dead, won't turn on anymore. I've gotta see if they will replace it or refund my money.
I'd almost give up on it at this point if the mapping is that crappy. Opinions?

Anyway, as of today the Garmin died dead, won't turn on anymore. I've gotta see if they will replace it or refund my money.

Plug it in and let it charge for a bit. See if it's really dead or just out of battery.

So I ordered my new Edge 530 on 4/12.
Got it 4/20 set it up with Trailforks account and it says synced OK.
Kind of hard (for me) to figure out, but it works.
Yesterday I used it but it kept going into sleep mode, I figured how to prevent that in the menu.
Today I used it for my 16 mile ride. I had it on map screen. Going down Clinton road it would show me other streets
and SOME trails, like Old Coal trail and Highlands trail and Stevens road. But other trails along the roadway it did not
see. Like Bearfort trail, Wildcat, Clinton West, Hanks Pond tr, Red trail by Buckabear. Even some trails I was riding on
it didn't show. My Trailforks account map does show these trails, and the Garmin says it's up to date with Trailforks.

I think it's a know issue with both he 530 and 830. It happened to me as well on the 830. Not sure if the latest firmware updates took care of it but it hasn't done it ever since. It should restart if you keep the power button depressed for 30 secs, did you try that?

Plug it in and let it charge for a bit. See if it's really dead or just out of battery.
I had it plugged into my computer after my ride today even though it was showing charged at 82% charge when I plugged it in. I figured I'd bring it up to 100% for my next ride. When I took it off the computer it was dead.

I had it plugged into my computer after my ride today even though it was showing charged at 82% charge when I plugged it in. I figured I'd bring it up to 100% for my next ride. When I took it off the computer it was dead.

Can you plug it into the wall.

I think it's a know issue with both he 530 and 830. It happened to me as well on the 830. Not sure if the latest firmware updates took care of it but it hasn't done it ever since. It should restart if you keep the power button depressed for 30 secs, did you try that?
Yeah.. same thing happened to me at Wildcat when i was with @serviceguy

Held the power button while hiking a bike so not sure how long i had to do that. But it did turn back on and hasnt happened since.

That did it, it came alive again. You're a genius! Now I can get back to figuring out how to use it.:)

Well, now that it came back to life, maybe someone can answer my mapping question.

Going down Clinton road it would show me other streets
and SOME trails, like Old Coal trail and Highlands trail and Stevens road.
But other trails along the roadway it did not see.
Like Bearfort trail, Wildcat, Clinton West, Hanks Pond tr, Red trail by Buckabear.
Even some trails I was riding on it didn't show.
My Trailforks account map does show these trails, and the Garmin says it's up to date with Trailforks.

Well, now that it came back to life, maybe someone can answer my mapping question.

Going down Clinton road it would show me other streets
and SOME trails, like Old Coal trail and Highlands trail and Stevens road.
But other trails along the roadway it did not see.
Like Bearfort trail, Wildcat, Clinton West, Hanks Pond tr, Red trail by Buckabear.
Even some trails I was riding on it didn't show.
My Trailforks account map does show these trails, and the Garmin says it's up to date with Trailforks.

Are you not seeing them in the standard navigation or in trailforks? If I remember correctly each region has to be downloaded to your trailforks account for you to see it.

Are you not seeing them in the standard navigation or in trailforks? If I remember correctly each region has to be downloaded to your trailforks account for you to see it.

You're mixing up mobile and the 530.

Pete - this is just the way it is sometimes. Sometimes a random trail won't be on the TF map on the 530. I don't know the reason there.

I'll throw this question here. Anyone know how to turn off weather alerts on the Garmin? I know you're supposed to do it on Garmin Connect, but the toggle always reverts back to the on position after syncing.

I really don't need small craft advisories popping up every 10 minutes on a ride.

I see the trails on my home computer Trailforks account map.
I don't see the local trails on my 530 screen

something else I've seen in selecting things it says "log into Trailforks to access mountain bike trails" I can't, I don't have a phone.

my next dilemma is now it says "connect IQ is open, close before powering off". I can't find how to close the app.

You're mixing up mobile and the 530.

Pete - this is just the way it is sometimes. Sometimes a random trail won't be on the TF map on the 530. I don't know the reason there.
I do believe you need to purchase (donate to JORBA that is) in order to download a region to trailforks. That's why I was asking what Pete is using to navigate, the Garmin navigation map should be updated automatically when through Connect. I think.

I see the trails on my home computer Trailforks account map.
I don't see the local trails on my 530 screen

something else I've seen in selecting things it says "log into Trailforks to access mountain bike trails" I can't, I don't have a phone.

my next dilemma is now it says "connect IQ is open, close before powering off". I can't find how to close the app.
You should be able to download the trails from trailforks to your garmin and use trailforks on it then.

The 530 doesn't have the good map installed on it, that's where the 830 is a better unit. You can download the OpenSource Map and swap it with the Garmin one and it'll give you the good map. There's a Tutorial how to do it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. The 530 and 830 don't use SD cards so it's not as simple as it used to be. I'm running the modded map on my 830 and it's brilliant compared to Garmin.

What exactly is your goal with the garmin? How do you specifically intent to use the mapping?

Are you just looking to see if the trails appear on screen so you know where they lead?

I personally my 820 to route pre-made courses. I sit down in the Garmin Connect editor, draw a route that i want to ride through the trails i like, then load and follow that route when i get there. Following routes gives you turn by turn routing similar to a car gps as long as you're on known trails. if you wander off or take a wrong turn, it even has back on track routing. I dont use the trailforks applet to do this, rather i just use the direct navigation feature of the garmin unit since it allows me to download and use the created route from my Connect account.

The jorba donation folks are referring to is the *Additional* voluntary donation directly through the trailforks site to allow you to download the full trail gpx files of a riding area. Though not all areas are set up to charge for the trail downloads.

The 530 doesn't have the good map installed on it, that's where the 830 is a better unit. You can download the OpenSource Map and swap it with the Garmin one and it'll give you the good map. There's a Tutorial how to do it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. The 530 and 830 don't use SD cards so it's not as simple as it used to be. I'm running the modded map on my 830 and it's brilliant compared to Garmin.
I'd love to see that. While the garmin map has the typical trails, OSM usually has a few more.

Back
Top Bottom