Fox 36 Vanilla R vs Revelation TI

Bora

Hey guys, my wife said I can choose a fork my bike around 500-600 for my upcoming anniversary . I do XC- parks I usually ride are Jungle Habitat, Ringwood, Allamuchy. Currently I have Tora Coil 120mm travel
I found deals on new Fox36'09 (450) Van R 140mm and Revelation RLT Ti dual air'10 (570). I am a bit afraid of the air spring since I see a lot of posts of problems with leaking forks etc. Revelation gives a lot of options in regards of adjustability but more expensive. I tried Talas on my friend's bike an I saw a huge difference in handling over my Tora. Any pros and cons?

First question: What frame is this going on and how much travel does it have in the rear?

Like Jeff said about the bike.......plus there is a big difference in travel from what u have now. FWIW, don't worry about the air spring on a Fox, my 36 never lost air even with my mass on it.:D

It is 120mm rear travel, Trek Fuel Ex5'10. My original plan was to get Revelation and drop the travel to 120 with spacers. Regarding Vanilla- I guess it is not really an option- just a dream =| It was just damn cheap compared to Floats RL and I thought I can get spacers for Vanilla.
I guess my other option is Reba.

It is 120mm rear travel, Trek Fuel Ex5'10. My original plan was to get Revelation and drop the travel to 120 with spacers. Regarding Vanilla- I guess it is not really an option- just a dream =| It was just damn cheap compared to Floats RL and I thought I can get spacers for Vanilla.
I guess my other option is Reba.

The Fox 36 @ 160mm and the Revelation @ 140mm will make your bike kind of unbalanced. I don't think you would be pleased with the end result. It would ride like a chopper but still be limited by the rear travel as to the kind of jumps or drops you could take.

What are you trying to achieve with the fork upgrade? I'm wondering if a new frame with greater travel would be a better solution to what you are looking for? I realize that this may be over the anniversary budget, but if your feeling the need for that much travel in the front fork, you really should consider a beefier frame.

My wife will kick me out of the house if I start talking about another bike =D

The reason I was looking at Revel is due to the fact that it is lighter by 1.5pounds, more plush (again, it is purely based on internet reviews and forum threads)- also it seems like I can adjust the travel to 110 or 130 with the spacer.
Damn, now I'm thinking should I just start a piggie bank for the next bike and forget the fork...

Your EX5 should be fine for everyday trial riding. If your lauching off big stuff then start your piggy for a new bike, but I wouldn't consider it. If I am correct the EX5 is the more budget friendly of the Trek FS line. It has a great frame with some lower spec. components including the fork which add to its weight. As stated a longer travel fork will begin to throw off the geometry but there are plenty of 120mm forks which would lighten it up and feel more plush than what is on ther now. Look to see what fork is on the Ex7 or Ex8 for some direction.

I dont know much about the Fuel line of bikes but I have the Gaint version of it, a 2008 Trance X2 and have a 140mm Manitou Comp on it which is up from the Fox F120 that came with it, and it rides fine so you can take that with a grain of salt, but IMHO since that frame is the same as the higher level Fuels, just like the trances but with lower components and you really like the bike and plan on keeping it for a while, I wouldnt put a new fork on it first I would look at a ligher wheelset with a convertible 9QR/15/20 front hub. You can either build a nice set for that price maybe hope hubs and nice hoops or even Easton Haven's from last year, just another thought...

Hmm, didn't think about such option, I can transfer the wheels to the next bike and also won't be narrowed to 9mm.

I have a 2010 revelation team dual air it rides very smooth I have it set to 150mm of travel on my stumpjumper I love it

I ended up going for Reba RLT TI 120mm with 9mm quick release. Now I just need to find a fork O_O

Back
Top Bottom