flat free tires

A friend just emailed this link to me to see what I thought about it.

I responded with "needs a 2.3 mountain bike tire"

what do you guys all think?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1065313751/cme-flatfree-bicycle-wheelsets?ref=users

If anyone involved in this project would post some useful information (weight, cost, etc) instead of videos of tires with nails in them, (LOOK!!! IT STILL ROLLS!!!) I'd be a little more interested. I get it, you can ride the bike without air. :D
Plus Hutchinsons' web site makes me want to put nails in my brain.

It's a good idea, but the proprietary wheel thing is a big turn off. I've seen every car tire manufacturer try run flats...the run flat part actually works ok, but otherwise they're dogs. Heavy, fragile, and expensive.

They sell the same damn thing at Walmart:

(Or at least used to, I just posted the wrong link)

The website says they add 1400g per wheel. That's 3lbs per wheel. Of rotational weight past the rim.

They're just replacing the air in the tire with foam. Great for when riding your bike through glass in the ghetto. Not much else.

Just go buy those Shwalbe Marathons and call it a day.

I used something similar to that in mid-80s. I was a cheap young teenager who lived on a gravel road in the Ozarks and had a skinny tired 27" ten-speed which did get taken into the woods as well. My tires kept getting thorns and snakebites so I tried a hard foam "tube" from Walmart for $15. It looked a lot like that one in the link.

It solved the problem but was heavy and a lot harsher ride than on air tubes. There was a seam on the tire where it was glued or melted together to complete the circle. After a year or so, it split along that seam and a gap formed under the tire in one spot. Luckily the tube was hollow and it was the perfect size for a soft white bic pen case to fit in there. That caused bulging so I took the pen tube out, heated it and bent it in to an arc roughly the same as that of the tire. I reinserted the pen and it looked good so I rubber cemented it into place, let it dried and reinstalled on rim. It worked well enough until the bike got smashed somehow about 5 years later.

Many years later,I now ride tubeless tires on tubeless rims and Stan's ($$$ but hassle free). I find modern technology to be a much better solution but the other worked for my non-discerning hillbilly self at the time.

Back
Top Bottom